POLL: Which team will finish 6th this year?

The home for Big East hoops

Which team will finish 6th this year?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Butler
60%
Creighton
30%
Providence
7%
Seton Hall
3%
Villanova
No votes
Xavier
No votes

Total votes : 30

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:50 pm

10 - Hoyas
9 - DePaul
8 - St John's
7 - Marquette
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: POLL: Which team will finish 6th this year?

Postby gosports1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:40 pm

so have the polls stopped?
gosports1

Postby Hoya33 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Five team tie for first.
Hoya33

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:21 am

Omaha1 wrote:10 - Hoyas
9 - DePaul
8 - St John's
7 - Marquette

If SJ turns out to be 8th, I assume that would mean we have something like 5 ranked teams. IMO too much talent for SJ to finish towards very bottom. Mid pack team.
MullinMayhem

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:46 am

I refuse to vote in following polls out of protest for Butler being 6th.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 am

MullinMayhem wrote:
9 - DePaul
8 - St John's
7 - Marquette

If SJ turns out to be 8th, I assume that would mean we have something like 5 ranked teams. IMO too much talent for SJ to finish towards very bottom. Mid pack team.

Well considering last year the difference between 3rd and 7th was 1 game (3-6 all tied), and the 7th place team went to the elite 8...it's not that outrageous. Even 8th placed St. John's was only 3 games back of 3rd place.

This year I think 3rd place could separate a bit more along with the top 2 (as they likely would have last year without injuries), but I fully expect a similar mess with 4-8 where nothing may be decided until the final day and the difference between 4 and 8 could well be tiebreakers.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:34 am

Hall2012 wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:
9 - DePaul
8 - St John's
7 - Marquette

Well considering last year the difference between 3rd and 7th was 1 game (3-6 all tied), and the 7th place team went to the elite 8...it's not that outrageous. Even 8th placed St. John's was only 3 games back of 3rd place.

This year I think 3rd place could separate a bit more along with the top 2 (as they likely would have last year without injuries), but I fully expect a similar mess with 4-8 where nothing may be decided until the final day and the difference between 4 and 8 could well be tiebreakers.

The thing is, the only teams I think we can say for sure have MORE talent (granted it's potential so who knows if it will be realized) than SJ are Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall. Outside of that SJ can handle any of the other teams IMO from a talent perspective. A lot will depend on how well Ponds, LoVett, and Simon play together. If Simon is lockdown on D and can run the point effectively with LoVett/Ponds playing off the ball and Owens and Clark making things happen down low, I see no reason this is not an NCAA team. No one has a better guard trio. College hoops is a guards game. Look at UConn when they were good...guard driven. We lack real bigs, but I think guards are more important. I really wouldn't be that shocked to see SJ overachieve and be better than PC. It all depends on how much better our defense is. It doesn't have to be unstoppable...just get enough stops to let the offense work.
MullinMayhem

Postby NJRedman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 am

DudeAnon wrote:I refuse to vote in following polls out of protest for Butler being 6th.

I agree they should have been 8th. :D
NJRedman

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:08 am

MullinMayhem wrote:
The thing is, the only teams I think we can say for sure have MORE talent (granted it's potential so who knows if it will be realized) than SJ are Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall. Outside of that SJ can handle any of the other teams IMO from a talent perspective. A lot will depend on how well Ponds, LoVett, and Simon play together. If Simon is lockdown on D and can run the point effectively with LoVett/Ponds playing off the ball and Owens and Clark making things happen down low, I see no reason this is not an NCAA team. No one has a better guard trio. College hoops is a guards game. Look at UConn when they were good...guard driven. We lack real bigs, but I think guards are more important. I really wouldn't be that shocked to see SJ overachieve and be better than PC. It all depends on how much better our defense is. It doesn't have to be unstoppable...just get enough stops to let the offense work.

And I don't disagree at all. I doubt many people here think SJ is a distant 8th. We're just being asked to take a shot in the dark on a tight field, and my guess is people aren't giving SJU the benefit of the doubt because they haven't seen Mullin put together a winning season yet. My point is that 1 shot could be the difference between SJU (or anyone else) finishing 4th or 8th, and neither would surprise me. Look at PC last year - they finished 3rd after tiebreakers, but if Cartwright's 3 at Creighton doesn't fall, they're 6th (still had tiebreaker over X). There's just so little separating most of the teams in this league.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:21 am

DudeAnon wrote:I refuse to vote in following polls out of protest for Butler being 6th.

I know, it's preposterous. Kenpom says they should be 5th!
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board