Postby adoraz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:58 am

My A10 list in order (stopping at RI since they were mentioned):

1. VCU
2. Dayton
3. St. Louis
4. Davidson
5. Richmond
6. Rhode Island

Bottom line, for expansion we need to ask if the AAC would be interested in the team, because the AAC has shown it is willing to take basketball only schools. Not because we are competing with them, but because any school we choose should be sought after by them as well. Would the AAC be interested in Gonzaga? I could see that. A VCU or Dayton? Sure. Rhode Island? Doubtful. So why should we be interested then?

Sure, if Rhode Island has an amazing run these next few years maybe consider them. But I could say the same thing about at least half of the A10 so what's the point? It is very unlikely to happen.
Johnnies
adoraz

Re: BE Going to 20 Games?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:17 am

Wichita State is not a national brand. As someone said before, they've been good for a handful of years. That's really it. There are lots of programs that are the flavor of the month or a few years then fade off. Remember Keno Davis at Drake? They were ranked and one of the most dangerous mid majors. That doesn't make them a national brand. Then he left for PC and does anyone talk about Drake now? No. Same will happen with Wichita State. Again, the AAC is not nearly as good as us, but it's still a big step up for WSU. I don't expect them to be in the top 10 all year or even the top 25 the entire year. UConn, Temple, Memphis, Cincy, Tulsa, etc. are all capable of beating them any given day. Maybe even Houston. That's not saying those AAC teams are great, it's saying they are a higher competition level than WSU is used to. If WSU wins 30 games somehow and stays in the top 10 all year, all that means is a few more losses for UConn. Marshall's days are numbered at WSU also...no doubt a major program will pick him up and if they are still wildly successful it will only expedite that process. Wichita State without Marshall is basically Houston. Decent every so often but really nothing significant nationally.
MullinMayhem

Postby stever20 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:19 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Wichita State is not a national brand. As someone said before, they've been good for a handful of years. That's really it. There are lots of programs that are the flavor of the month or a few years then fade off. Remember Keno Davis at Drake? They were ranked and one of the most dangerous mid majors. That doesn't make them a national brand. Then he left for PC and does anyone talk about Drake now? No. Same will happen with Wichita State. Again, the AAC is not nearly as good as us, but it's still a big step up for WSU. I don't expect them to be in the top 10 all year or even the top 25 the entire year. UConn, Temple, Memphis, Cincy, Tulsa, etc. are all capable of beating them any given day. Maybe even Houston. That's not saying those AAC teams are great, it's saying they are a higher competition level than WSU is used to. If WSU wins 30 games somehow and stays in the top 10 all year, all that means is a few more losses for UConn. Marshall's days are numbered at WSU also...no doubt a major program will pick him up and if they are still wildly successful it will only expedite that process. Wichita State without Marshall is basically Houston. Decent every so often but really nothing significant nationally.

college basketball coaches don't move anywhere near as much as you think. Generally speaking, when you get to a program like a Wichita and have them rolling, you stick there. See Mark Few at Gonzaga.

Wichita a whole hell of a lot different than Drake though. Drake had 4 NCAA apperances in their schools history. Also, Keno Davis was there for 1 year. Wichita has more outside of what Marshall did than Drake ever has done. Elite 8 in '81. Not even remotely close. I get you despise the AAC, but be realistic man. Wichita wins 30 games, and it's great for the AAC. They get a top 2-3 seed, and are poised for a great run in March.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 am

I literally didn't know Wichita St. existed before their final four run. Same for VCU. These are good programs now, but lets not act like they are UCLA.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:19 pm

DudeAnon wrote:I literally didn't know Wichita St. existed before their final four run. Same for VCU. These are good programs now, but lets not act like they are UCLA.

To be fair, most common fans weren't that aware of Xavier, Creighton, and/or Butler before roughly that same period.

Of course Xavier, Creighton, and Butler have gotten more attention as they've all finished in the top have of the NBE in the meantime.

While Wichita State raised their profile while still in the MVC.

That's nothing short of impressive. There was just a big article about it in USA Today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 779527001/
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:40 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I literally didn't know Wichita St. existed before their final four run. Same for VCU. These are good programs now, but lets not act like they are UCLA.

To be fair, most common fans weren't that aware of Xavier, Creighton, and/or Butler before roughly that same period.

Of course Xavier, Creighton, and Butler have gotten more attention as they've all finished in the top have of the NBE in the meantime.

That's nothing short of impressive. There was just a big article about it in USA Today.

Either you just became a college basketball fan when your Shockers made their final 4 run, or you can't see the accomplishments of any other school thru your Shocker colored glasses. Not sure why I am wasting my time on this...but here goes.

I believe Dude was referring to the fact that Wichita appeared in one NCAA tournament in the 24 years before Marshall arrived.

Regarding your unbelievable stupid/naïve assertion that Xavier, Creighton, and Butler have "gotten more attention" as they have all finished in the top half (assume you mean half, not have...) of the Big East. Let's start with the easiest part of that...so, you know how your Shockers got to a final 4 in 2013? Butler did it twice...they did it two years in a row! Mercy! And they did it the second year (2011) after the best player from the first year (Gordon Hayward) went to the NBA. So, like, 2 final four runs is, like, twice as good as one final four run, no? And they did it 2 years BEFORE they joined the Big East. On top of that, both years they made it to the final four, they also made it to the championship game. When you typed that silliness, did you even know that tidbit of info?

Xavier...where do I start? They have put together the single most impressive streak of coaching hires in the NCAA, IMO. Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, and Mack. Since hiring Gillen in 1985, they've only had 4 years (out of 33) when the team hasn't won 20 games. Only one losing record in 33 years. They've played in 15 of the last 17 NCAA tournaments with 3 elite 8s and 4 sweet sixteens. They have an awesome gym that they fill up every game. Even casual fans know who X was well before the Big East.

I am most familiar with Creighton but won't bore everyone too many details about how "well known" Creighton was before joining the Big East but I assure you Shocker fans know who we were. Before joining the Big East we had a two-time first team all-American and were 6th in the country in attendance (behind Kentucky, Syracuse, Louisville, North Carolina, and Wisconsin). And believe it or not, there was even a USA today article about it.

So enjoy your nWSU in the nAAC but you may consider having a real college basketball fan read your posts before you hit "submit."
Savannah Jay

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:55 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:

Wait what. Creighton, Xavier, and Butler have been well know brands for CBB fans at least for the past two decades. Especially Xavier!
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:59 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:

I stopped reading at the part where it called the AAC a power conference.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Xudash » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:23 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:

Ha!

Hint: when you pretend to be a fan of an existing member school so that you can honk about your non-member school, it is imperative that you not let your true affiliation reflect through. You just lost.

Wichita State. What a joke.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby scoscox » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:36 pm

stever20 wrote:college basketball coaches don't move anywhere near as much as you think. Generally speaking, when you get to a program like a Wichita and have them rolling, you stick there. See Mark Few at Gonzaga.

The body of evidence stacked against this take is pretty significant. Those two are the exception to the rule.
scoscox

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board