BE Going to 20 Games?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BE Going to 20 Games?

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 pm

As an open-minded Jay, who never considered WSU a rival (not close to Tulsa, ISU-Red, or the vaunted Saluki's of Carbondump), one has to be fair.
The Shocks have history and pedigree. Great teams in the Sixties and the Eighties, to go along with their current 6 year run. While perhaps not known out east,
they are and were well known in the Great Plains/Midwest region. Their house was well known as well for hosting Midwest regional tilts for the NCAA over the decades.

They are deserving of some respect... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_S ... basketball

just sayin'. gtmo
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:45 pm

scoscox wrote:
stever20 wrote:college basketball coaches don't move anywhere near as much as you think. Generally speaking, when you get to a program like a Wichita and have them rolling, you stick there. See Mark Few at Gonzaga.

The body of evidence stacked against this take is pretty significant. Those two are the exception to the rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_coaches

Based on a very quick scan of the list of D1 basketball coaches, I came up with 36 that have been at their school for 10 years. A little over 10%. Another quick count...30 coaching changes in 2016 and 42 in 2017. So 20% of all D1 coaching jobs have turned over in less than 2 years. I believe this may be the data that scoscox was referring to in his post.
Savannah Jay

Postby scoscox » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
scoscox wrote:
stever20 wrote:college basketball coaches don't move anywhere near as much as you think. Generally speaking, when you get to a program like a Wichita and have them rolling, you stick there. See Mark Few at Gonzaga.

The body of evidence stacked against this take is pretty significant. Those two are the exception to the rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_coaches

Based on a very quick scan of the list of D1 basketball coaches, I came up with 36 that have been at their school for 10 years. A little over 10%. Another quick count...30 coaching changes in 2016 and 42 in 2017. So 20% of all D1 coaching jobs have turned over in less than 2 years. I believe this may be the data that scoscox was referring to in his post.

I mean the examples of coaches building a smaller program and jumping ship to a bigger one are absolutely endless. Hard to believe you could ever make that statement with a straight internet face. Mind boggling
scoscox

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board