First 4 Years of nBE

The home for Big East hoops

First 4 Years of nBE

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 am

Every preseason when the conference predictions come out, I'm not sure why but it always seems like certain schools will predictably be underrated - I'm mostly looking at you, Providence (and to a lesser extent Butler). For instance, Providence has exceeded their Big East media day projection each of the 4 years in the nBE - that's pretty impressive. Likewise, Butler has finishing in 2nd place two of the past 3 years, when they were projected to finish 6th & 7th those seasons. Those are two of the more consistent programs in the conference, so it just seems odd that you can bank on them being underrated.

Anyways, that topic got me thinking about how each program stacks up so far, heading into year 5 of this new rendition of the Big East. Yes, I know 4 years is a small sample-size, but I thought I'd share nonetheless. (Also, congrats to Nova on being head-and-shoulders above the rest of the conference.)

Average Finish
1. Villanova (1.00)
2. Providence (4.00)
3. Butler (4.50)
4. Xavier (4.75)
5. Creighton (5.00)
6. Seton Hall (5.50)
7. Georgetown (6.75)
8. St. John's (7.00)
9. Marquette (7.25)
10. DePaul (9.25)

Big East Record
1. Villanova 63-9
2. Xavier 42-30
3. Providence 41-31
4. Butler 38-34
5. Creighton 37-35
6. Seton Hall 34-38
7. Georgetown 32-40
8. Marquette 31-41
9. St. John's 28-44
10. DePaul 14-58

NCAA Tournament Appearances & Tournament Wins
1. Villanova 4 appearances (9 wins)
2. Xavier 4 appearances (7 wins)
3. Providence 4 appearances (1 win)
4. Butler 3 appearances (4 wins)
5. Creighton 2 appearances (1 win)
6. Seton Hall 2 appearances (0 wins)
7. Georgetown 1 appearance (1 win)
8. Marquette 1 apperance (0 wins)
9. St. John's 1 appearance (0 wins)
10. DePaul 0 appearances (0 wins)
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

First 4 Years of nBE

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: First 4 Years of nBE

Postby BigmanU » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:43 am

Great Post, interesting breakdown.
BigmanU

Postby Novachap » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 am

really good post. Interesting where everyone has landed over the last 4 years. Yes, Providence is traditionally "undersold". Other teams best not do it this year, the Friars will be really good again.

Last year I said "there is no way Nova runs through the league with 16-2 record again".... that said, I certainly did not think they would only lose 3. This year, WAY too much balance. I think the winning team could have at least 5 loses. It is crazy how good Hall, Xavier, Providence, Butler, Creighton, Marquette & St. John's will be. Most times you look to hold serve at home and win a few away. What nova did over the last 4 years, particularly on away games, is pretty special... just can't see it happening this year with the balance in the league. I think both St. John's and even DePaul will surprise several of the leading teams as well at home....

The league games this year are going to be wars.... here's hoping for awesome games, limited injuries to all, and deep runs in the Tourney by MULTIPLE teams.
Novachap

Postby pki1998 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:02 am

The number one rule in the Big East is Nova is number one till proven otherwise. Hats off to Nova for their domination of the conference these last four years. Hopefully my musketeers close the gap a little this year. The number two rule should be don't sleep on Providence. The league is loaded this year but i still feel that Providence somehow makes the top three. Surprised Seton Hall has a losing record in conference i would have guess they were at least 5 games over 500.

Also I agree with Novachap, this year end up being a very special. Will have a bunch of great league games. if we avoid the injury bug this year we could really have some crazy success in the NCAA Tournament. I won't give my opinions of what we could do, because I will b accus d of being a crazy homer. I will say this though top to bottom it will be our best year so far.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby Friarsfan94 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 am

Ayyyyyyy everyone comes around eventually! It only took you guys 4 years! I will make a bold prediction that an Ed Cooley-led Providence team will rarely, if ever, finish below 5th place in this conference. The dude just won't let it happen. He wins.
Friarsfan94

Postby Novachap » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Friarsfan94 wrote:Ayyyyyyy everyone comes around eventually! It only took you guys 4 years! I will make a bold prediction that an Ed Cooley-led Providence team will rarely, if ever, finish below 5th place in this conference. The dude just won't let it happen. He wins.

not here Friar..... knew long ago!

BTW, although it won't last, how about the irony of Dunn and Arcidiacono as team mates on the Bulls!!!
Novachap

Postby Friarsfan94 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Novachap wrote:
Friarsfan94 wrote:Ayyyyyyy everyone comes around eventually! It only took you guys 4 years! I will make a bold prediction that an Ed Cooley-led Providence team will rarely, if ever, finish below 5th place in this conference. The dude just won't let it happen. He wins.

not here Friar..... knew long ago!

BTW, although it won't last, how about the irony of Dunn and Arcidiacono as team mates on the Bulls!!!

Haha pretty funny. No doubt in my mind they have some pretty heated, albeit much less attitude-driven, battles in practice! Although KD is sidelined for a few weeks with a hand injury, hopefully Archie can take advantage of some extra PT available for the remainder of preseason.
Friarsfan94

Postby ThrowDownDBrown » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:48 pm

The rest of the conference needs to step it up come tournament time. 3 total wins in 4 years from the 7 teams not names Nova, X or Butler. That is flat out not good enough.
ThrowDownDBrown

Postby NJRedman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:08 pm

ThrowDownDBrown wrote:The rest of the conference needs to step it up come tournament time. 3 total wins in 4 years from the 7 teams not names Nova, X or Butler. That is flat out not good enough.

3 wins not from the top 3 teams? Thats not that insane.
NJRedman

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:17 pm

ThrowDownDBrown wrote:The rest of the conference needs to step it up come tournament time. 3 total wins in 4 years from the 7 teams not names Nova, X or Butler. That is flat out not good enough.

I think EVERY program in the BE recognizes that we collectively would like to do better in March. We all have warts in our March performances. But so much of it comes down to matchups. SHU playing out West at high altitude vs. Gonzaga after an emotional win vs Nova in the BET was a really tough spot. PC @ Dayton. Not fair IMO. Nova gets a Wiscy team last year that was more a 5 seed than an 8. Excuses, excuses...I know. Anyway, the conference just needs to keep moving forward. I'm more encouraged that PC has made it every year, that X and Nova have been what we expected (they should make it every year), that SHU will be in 3 straight, and that Butler and CU have more than held their own in this new conference.

Honestly and this is not meant as a bust on these two programs--more a recognition of just how good they were the 5 years prior to the old BE breakup--but we've done all of this with both Marq and G'town being quiet. Both will rise again. And when they do, I can't imagine how tough this league is going to be.

Overall BE NCAA winning % - .523 (23-21). We win more than we lose. Not ideal but not terrible. And all of those tourney credits mean a great deal of $ for all conference teams. We only split it 10 ways. That's a good thing.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board