The Scope of the Scandal

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Scope of the Scandal

Postby NJRedman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:00 pm

herodotus wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Mack is clean. My first bet would be on Willard. Then Wojo

It's a dangerous time to be throwing stones, my friend...

I think the current group of coaches are clean, but.........
If they start going back a bit, I'd be very nervous if Book Richardson ever worked for my school. Steve Lavin is another one who makes me nervous.

I wouldn't be too nervous, when he was coach we only ever played 6 guys. hahaha
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XtoDC » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 pm

If any school was put under the FBI's microscope trying to unearth any violation then sure, every school would be dirty. But paying for a recruit's gas money to drive over and come visit your school for an unofficial visit is on a much different level than coordinating with a shoe company to pay a recruit 6 figures.

Who are the biggest recruits the Big East has brought in over the last five years or so? How many recruits have been so well thought of that the shoe companies are getting involved and trying to push them to one of our schools? I can't see any violations on that level happening, and I don't think it is worth the FBI's time to investigate crap like practicing two more hours during the week than what the NCAA rulebook says is allowed.
XtoDC

Postby milksteak » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:47 pm

XtoDC wrote:Who are the biggest recruits the Big East has brought in over the last five years or so? How many recruits have been so well thought of that the shoe companies are getting involved and trying to push them to one of our schools?

You're kidding, right? Pretty sure you have a 2017 that fits this profile.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby notkirkcameron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 pm

An observation that probably has nothing to do with anything because any shoe company could set up a scheme like Adidas':

Somehow, there are no Adidas-outfitted schools in the Big East.

Nike
Butler
Creighton
DePaul
Providence
Villanova
Xavier

Nike/Jordan
Georgetown and Marquette

Under Armour
Seton Hall and St. John's
Al McGuire: "What is this?"
Waiter: "Mr. McGuire, that is a cull lobster. Sometimes when the lobsters are in the tank, they fight. This one lost a claw."
Al McGuire: "Well then take this one away and bring me the winner."
notkirkcameron

Postby NJRedman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:13 pm

notkirkcameron wrote:An observation that probably has nothing to do with anything because any shoe company could set up a scheme like Adidas':

Somehow, there are no Adidas-outfitted schools in the Big East.

Nike
Butler
Creighton
DePaul
Providence
Villanova
Xavier

Nike/Jordan
Georgetown and Marquette

Under Armour
Seton Hall and St. John's

Arizona said they needed more more to get a player because A different shoe company was going after a kid and AZ is a Nike schools. So just because none of us are an Adidas school doesn't mean much right now.
NJRedman

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:14 pm

XtoDC wrote:If any school was put under the FBI's microscope trying to unearth any violation then sure, every school would be dirty. But paying for a recruit's gas money to drive over and come visit your school for an unofficial visit is on a much different level than coordinating with a shoe company to pay a recruit 6 figures.

Who are the biggest recruits the Big East has brought in over the last five years or so? How many recruits have been so well thought of that the shoe companies are getting involved and trying to push them to one of our schools? I can't see any violations on that level happening, and I don't think it is worth the FBI's time to investigate crap like practicing two more hours during the week than what the NCAA rulebook says is allowed.

The FBI is not investigating NCAA rules. They are investigating bribery, fraud and money laundering. Your examples aren't on the radar screen. These universities accept Federal funds hence the Feds are involved. The FBI could care less on how many hours a team practice.
HoosierPal

Postby hortle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:14 pm

I just hope that, if any shenanigans occurred, the coaches involved are in touch with the investigators. Trying to hide stuff will only make the penalties worse...
hortle

Postby herodotus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:44 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
XtoDC wrote:If any school was put under the FBI's microscope trying to unearth any violation then sure, every school would be dirty. But paying for a recruit's gas money to drive over and come visit your school for an unofficial visit is on a much different level than coordinating with a shoe company to pay a recruit 6 figures.

The FBI is not investigating NCAA rules. They are investigating bribery, fraud and money laundering. Your examples aren't on the radar screen. These universities accept Federal funds hence the Feds are involved. The FBI could care less on how many hours a team practice.

Stuff like contacting recruits during dead periods might be exposed during interrogations, but there won't be any legal repercussions from that, although the NCAA could run with anything that is made public. However, if other "pay for play" examples unrelated to the current scandal, such as involving boosters, are uncovered, the FBI may still have interest, and the tax man most certainly will. $10,000 to play for a CUSA, or MVC school may be crumbs compared to what the big boys are paying, but it's still a crime, and you know it's going on. Kids are getting paid at the D-2, and JC level. It's as corrupt as it can get.
herodotus

Postby XtoDC » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:18 pm

HoosierPal wrote:

Which is exactly my point. The people that like to say 'Every school is dirty' are not taking that into consideration. Just because every school may be guilty of some minor NCAA infraction doesn't mean everyone is dirty to the point of $100,000 bribes, which are the things the FBI is looking for. I would expect our schools to come out of this pretty clean because while we may have broken some NCAA rules, I really don't think we're caught up in things to the level that the FBI would care about.
XtoDC

Postby XtoDC » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:22 pm

milksteak wrote:
XtoDC wrote:Who are the biggest recruits the Big East has brought in over the last five years or so? How many recruits have been so well thought of that the shoe companies are getting involved and trying to push them to one of our schools?

You're kidding, right? Pretty sure you have a 2017 that fits this profile.

And which of Xavier's recruits were McDonald's All Americans or projected first round draft picks in the next draft or two? Agents aren't going to funnel $50k to the 40th ranked recruit so he can get 3% of the kid's Euroleague salary in 4 years. There are only maybe 20 kids each year that move the needle enough that agents or shoe companies are trying to get involved and impact the decision making process.
XtoDC

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board