The Scope of the Scandal

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Scope of the Scandal

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:39 pm

I chuckled at this quote by Thamel in his piece today:

"One lawyer compared the difference between a federal investigation to a state one as the difference in resources between the ACC and American Athletic Conference."

:lol:
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Mack is clean. My first bet would be on Willard. Then Wojo

It's a dangerous time to be throwing stones, my friend...

As someone who sees nothing wrong with paying the players, I was not throwing stones. I just know that Mack detests the concept of paying players and our AD just got nominated to the head of NCAA disciplinary. So X is clean, if they aren't I will be the first to admit it.

At first I only mentioned Willard because of the "Whitehead" class he brought in. But it makes more sense the more I think about it. Seton Hall is a hard to school to recruit to, he is a Pitino acolyte and it seems like he is always fighting for his job. Wojo if only because he seems desperate to make it as a HC but I have a hard time believing a Dukie would break any rule (God forbid). Still, people do crazy things for their careers.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby HoosierPal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:51 pm

This is a quote from OSU AD Gene Smith as to a reason Thad Matta was fired. Kind of makes the AD look stupid, really stupid.

"Recruiting was a major part of that plan," Smith said of his initial meetings after the 2016-17 season, which ended with a first-round loss to last-place Rutgers in the Big Ten tournament. "We weren't winning the battles in recruiting that I thought we had a chance to win, so as we started talking about that on Friday ... the flow of the conversation took me to the reality."
HoosierPal

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:56 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:

As someone who sees nothing wrong with paying the players, I was not throwing stones. I just know that Mack detests the concept of paying players and our AD just got nominated to the head of NCAA disciplinary. So X is clean, if they aren't I will be the first to admit it.

At first I only mentioned Willard because of the "Whitehead" class he brought in. But it makes more sense the more I think about it. Seton Hall is a hard to school to recruit to, he is a Pitino acolyte and it seems like he is always fighting for his job. Wojo if only because he seems desperate to make it as a HC but I have a hard time believing a Dukie would break any rule (God forbid). Still, people do crazy things for their careers.

Everyone already knows what Willard did to land Whitehead and Delgado. None of the others were highly rated out of high school. I'm not gonna say they're squeaky clean because, while I hope they are, I'm not an insider and I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Plus frankly, I think anyone who thinks any high major D1 program, X included, is completely clean in recruiting is being naïve.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Plus frankly, I think anyone who thinks any high major D1 program, X included, is completely clean in recruiting is being naïve.

Concur.
Red Rooster

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:12 pm

So far, 8 schools have been publicly named if I haven't missed any:

On September 28th NJRedman wrote:
http://nypost.com/2017/09/26/fbi-raids- ... of-knicks/
The probe led to the arrest of four assistant basketball coaches (from Auburn, Southern California, Oklahoma State and Arizona), two Adidas employees, a financial adviser, the program director of the Adidas-sponsored 1 Family AAU program, the founder of a custom clothier for athletes and Christian Dawkins, formerly an agent for ASM Sports.

The FBI complaint referenced six schools without naming them, and Louisville has confirmed it is one of the two that is not outed by name. The other unnamed school is believed to be Miami, according to multiple reports.

On September 28th Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Alabama Caught up in FBI Probe – Pat Forde, Yahoo! - September 28, 2017
According to a story in the Tuscaloosa News on Wednesday night, the resignation of Kobie Baker (a men’s basketball administrator) is directly tied to the FBI investigation. Alabama’s internal review points to Baker as “Staff Member-1” in the federal complaint released Tuesday, which alleges that the unnamed staffer was involved in a scheme to accept money in return for directing a “highly regarded incoming freshman basketball player” to sign with a financial adviser after declaring for the NBA draft.

On Tuesday, the FBI revealed an operation that ensnared the basketball programs at Auburn, Louisville, Miami, South Carolina, Arizona, Oklahoma State and USC.

Laugh at Louisville and Rick Pitino if you want, but your school could be next - CBS Sports - September 28, 2017
The FBI investigation has crippled schools like Louisville, Auburn, and Arizona, but there will be more.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Noonzy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:23 am

I have heard that up to 100 schools could be implicated.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby herodotus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 am

Hall2012 wrote:

I think the current group of coaches are clean, but.........
If they start going back a bit, I'd be very nervous if Book Richardson ever worked for my school. Steve Lavin is another one who makes me nervous.
herodotus

Postby pki1998 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:59 am

I hope Mack and all of our conference's coaches are clean. But the truth is no one knows at this point. There really isn't a point in calling out other schools with out any facts. Before we get too high on the soap box, remember one of the coaches naked was a Davier assistant. He was on Miller's staff (along with Mack). I don't think Mack or the current staff have done anything, but you never know if that is true. Or what was going on when miller was here.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby FriarJ » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:57 am

I think of all our schools ST. Johns pre- Chris Mullin would be a concern. There were just too many rumors flying around about Smart Water money. Hopefully there is nothing there. It would be an amazing accomplishment for this conference to emerge from this unblemished. Fingers crossed
FriarJ

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board