The Scope of the Scandal

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Scope of the Scandal

Postby adoraz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:18 pm

Wanted to point out that in the recruiting threads, a certain poster always talks up how the Big East doesn't land 5 star recruits. We usually get about one a year.

That may be a huge blessing.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:34 am

Really hopeful that schools like Arizona get the book thrown at them. It will be very easy to negatively recruit against Louisville and Arizona. Come play at (insert Big East school here) and be in a power conference without the shenanigans going on at those big football schools. It won't make a massive difference, but if a Big East team makes the final 2 or 3 against those types of schools, it can be the difference maker.
MullinMayhem

Postby EMT » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:55 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Really hopeful that schools like Arizona get the book thrown at them. It will be very easy to negatively recruit against Louisville and Arizona. Come play at (insert Big East school here) and be in a power conference without the shenanigans going on at those big football schools. It won't make a massive difference, but if a Big East team makes the final 2 or 3 against those types of schools, it can be the difference maker.

Be careful what you wish for, there have been many whispers over the Lavin era that there was creative use of Under Armour funds that I've heard from fans of multiple BE schools that I tended to view mostly as sour grapes. This scandal put all that in a different light.
EMT

Postby stever20 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:30 pm

adoraz wrote:Wanted to point out that in the recruiting threads, a certain poster always talks up how the Big East doesn't land 5 star recruits. We usually get about one a year.

That may be a huge blessing.

thought this was SO funny- from Jeff Goodman:
Jeff Goodman‏
Verified account
 @GoodmanESPN Sep 30
More
Text from a Power 5 head coach: "I told my team yesterday that I've never been so happy to see a bunch of "3 Star" Dudes "
stever20

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:12 am

EMT wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:Really hopeful that schools like Arizona get the book thrown at them. It will be very easy to negatively recruit against Louisville and Arizona. Come play at (insert Big East school here) and be in a power conference without the shenanigans going on at those big football schools. It won't make a massive difference, but if a Big East team makes the final 2 or 3 against those types of schools, it can be the difference maker.

Be careful what you wish for, there have been many whispers over the Lavin era that there was creative use of Under Armour funds that I've heard from fans of multiple BE schools that I tended to view mostly as sour grapes. This scandal put all that in a different light.

Pretty sure every school has whispers. Many close to the program don't seem concerned, so I'm not either for now. It's NYC...if there was any smoke we'd know about it yesterday.
MullinMayhem

Postby Irishdawg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:16 am

I can't and won't speak for other schools, but if Butler is somehow involved in shady recruiting, they apparently do an awful job at it. We're just happy to get a Top 100 player occasionally. Top 50 (out of high school) has never happened, and has only happened via transfer twice (Rotnei Clarke and Tyler Lewis).
Irishdawg

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board