FBI Arrests NCAA coaches for corruption

The home for Big East hoops

Re: FBI Arrests NCAA coaches for corruption

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 am

Signs indicate Louisville's Rick Pitino, Tom Jurich could be fired amid college basketball scandal - Pat Forde, Yahoo! - September 27, 2017
LOUISVILLE – Signs indicate that Rick Pitino and Tom Jurich, the two greatest architects of Louisville’s 21st century athletic success, will be fired Wednesday afternoon. Interim University of Louisville President Greg Postel has scheduled a 1 p.m. ET news conference, which he said neither Pitino nor Jurich will attend.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:37 am

This topic is going to generate a long thread, as the cast of characters grows by the day.

FBI probe will change college basketball this season and for years to come – Matt Norlander, CBS Sports – September 27, 2017
Arizona's Emanuel Richardson, USC's Tony Bland, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans and Auburn's Chuck Person have all been suspended.

Meet the 18 key figures in the FBI’s college basketball corruption probe, for now - SB Nation - September 27, 2017 (with links to related articles)
Get caught up quickly on who’s involved in the sprawling investigation.

The Investigators: The FBI and the NCAA.

College Basketball Coaches: Arizona assistant Emanuel Richardson, Auburn associate head coach Chuck Person, Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl, Oklahoma State assistant Lamont Evans, and Louisville head coach Rick Pitino.

Colleges: The South Carolina Gamecocks, aka “University-2” (Lamont Evans’ former employer), the Louisville Cardinals, aka “University-6”, and the Miami Hurricanes, aka “University-7”

Apparel and Agents:
Adidas, aka “Company-1
James Gatto: The director of global sports marketing for Adidas
Merl Code: An Adidas employee, Code is with its high school and college basketball programs.
Jonathan Brad Augustine: Program director for an amateur high school-aged team (AAU), sponsored by Adidas.
Christian Dawkins: Employee of an athlete agency through May 2017. Wasn’t an agent, but a “runner.” Wants to start his own agency.
Muhish Sood: Founder of an investment services company.
Rashan Michael: Founder/operator of a clothing company based in Atlanta and a former NBA and college referee.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby paulxu » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:43 am

How many (if any) BE schools are Adidas.
Xavier is Nike.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:57 am

So Mack has long been linked to the UL job whenever it opened up. What are the odds he takes it? 30%?

I can't see him leaving his team (And Trevon) to hang right before the season starts. So my bet is they handshake a deal for next year and UL uses an interim coach for this year.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Doge McDermott » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:03 am

Can we embed tweets? This one is a gem.
Doge McDermott

Postby sju88grad » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:13 am

paulxu wrote:How many (if any) BE schools are Adidas.
Xavier is Nike.

St. John's is with Under Amour.
sju88grad

Postby billyjack » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:17 am

Looking at player photos:

NIKE:
Butler.
Villanova.
Providence.
Xavier.
DePaul.
Creighton.

UNDER ARMOR:
St John's.
Seton Hall.

JORDAN JUMPING MAN (ASSUMING IT'S NIKE):
Georgetown.
Marquette.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:50 am

It will be fascinating to see what becomes of UL's season. I imagine the whole coaching staff has to be cut loose right?
ArmyVet

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:59 am

I gotta say, I'm pretty pumped for that Seton Hall @ University-6 game on December 3rd. Hope we stomp them - Go Pirates!
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby NJRedman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 pm

herodotus wrote:
sciencejay wrote:Am I surprised? I guess not really. But in my world, I wanted to think that this stuff wasn't going on. Grateful that BEast schools lost out on some of these recruits--maybe we wouldn't (couldn't) offer them as much? Just a sad day. I knew the chips were stacked against the little guy in recruiting battles, but holy $h!t. The cynic in me now wonders what we do offer the recruits we do get. I think we'd might be surprised/disappointed to know the truth.

Just seeing now that Louisville's defense team publicized their defense strategy: "We're not saying we didn't do it, but (1) the evidence was obtained illegally, and (2) it's not like we had them enroll in fake classes to keep their GPAs up like UNC does!" :D ;) :lol:

This is the worrisome thing. I don't want to get too smug, then get slapped across the face if one of our schools is dirty. You know these coaches will be snitching like mad. "Yes, we paid $100,000, because we knew that (fill in a BE school) was offering $80,000. Hopefully that won't be the case, but pretty much every D1 school, and maybe some D2 as well, has to be nervous. You almost wish we weren't involved with any of these players.

Yeah but they need actual proof or it's just an accusation thats easily defended.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board