FBI Arrests NCAA coaches for corruption

The home for Big East hoops

Re: FBI Arrests NCAA coaches for corruption

Postby hortle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 pm

mel ott wrote:
hortle wrote:yeah I seriously doubt that every BE school hasn't dirtied their hands. if this happened 5 years ago, I'd say no way creighton got itself involved. then we moved conferences, got patrick sellers then Preston Murphy, they seem a lot more big league than devries or merf in terms of connections. Not saying Preston is guilty or anything. But its more likely that every relevant program has a share in the guilty pie.

That is just wrong- know you aren't just saying, but you are suggesting! You want to look like a great predictor in case you're right. Why would you smear people's reputation without an ounce of evidence against them. Perfect for this type of reporting in the country- accuse, decide and then let's look for the facts. If someone did something we will know soon enough. We don't need your wisdom in trying to figure out the culprits.

it might never be known to us simply due to the scope of the crimes committed. I'm only expressing the opinion that its more likely than not that the average relevant CBB program has participated in this malicious ecosystem.
hortle

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:36 am

It appears that this corruption was tied to players that the shoe companies were confident would make it to the NBA and soon. Bowen, Lonnie Walker, Quinnerly, Alkins, etc. (as has been rumored). The only player that was recruited by a BE school in the past decade that fits that description is probably Ellenson. Not trying to initimate that HE and MU are in any way linked to this type of malfeasance but just stating that the BE builds their programs differently than many ACC, Pac12 and SEC programs.

This thing could really upset the landscape of college BB and quickly. If particular players are identified—some on rosters today—I would think that the NCAA has no other recourse than to immediately disqualify them.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:50 am

billyjack wrote:
https://amp.businessinsider.com/college ... sts-2017-9

In this article, the schools named include:
- Arizona.
- Auburn.
- Oklahoma State.
- San Diego State.
- Southern Cal.
- Louisville.
- Miami of Fla.
- South Carolina.
hortle wrote:
I'm only expressing the opinion that its more likely than not that the average relevant CBB program has participated in this malicious ecosystem.

IMHO: it will emerge that most or all of the offending assistant coaches are employed by public universities and/or P5 football conference schools.

So far, the media has not reported that:

(1) Any head coaches have been investigated or charged with wrongdoing.
    (2) Any assistant coaches at Catholic universities have been investigated or charged with wrongdoing.
    (3) Any universities have been investigated or charged with wrongdoing.
    (4) The NCAA has been investigated or charged with wrongdoing.
    (5) Any shoe company other than Adidas is involved.
Obviously, all of the above could change in the hours, days, and weeks ahead.

Explaining the FBI probe and the corruption scandal rocking college basketball – Matt Norlander, CBS Sports – September 26, 2017
Key figures

Emanuel "Book" Richardson, Arizona assistant:
Spent the previous eight season under Sean Miller at Arizona, accused of paying "Player-5" $5,000 in bribe money to funnel player to Arizona, suspended by the Wildcats. Richardson is quoted, via wiretap, as saying the player would be "on campus" the weekend of June 24 and would be "likely" to commit to Arizona, while also requesting more money. That corresponds with the official visit for five-star point guard Jahvon Quinerly. On Aug. 8, Quinerly committed to Arizona. Richardson is also accused of accepting $20,000 in bribe money this past June and July, in New York and New Jersey.

FBI probe will change college basketball this season and for years to come – Matt Norlander, CBS Sports – September 27, 2017
The top 25 could look different with eligibility cases now popping up and recruits scrambling

College basketball's preseason top 25 stands to get a makeover. Arizona is the preseason No. 1 team here at CBS Sports. But how many players on that roster are subject to investigation? How many players could be held out or ruled ineligible? In a flash, Sean Miller's program has gone from preseason title favorite to an alleged cheating machine. The school has already canceled its media day scheduled for Wednesday.

NLI Signing Dates for Prospective Student-Athletes Signing 2017-18 and Enrolling 2018-19 - NCAA.org
Basketball (Early Period): November 8, 2017 to November 15, 2017
Basketball
(Regular Period): April 11, 2018 to May 16, 2018

The schools losing players due to eligibility issues still have plenty of time to raid 2018 prospects who have made verbal commitments to other schools.

Adidas - Wikipedia
Adidas AG (founded 1949) is a German multinational corporation, headquartered in Herzogenaurach, Bavaria, that designs and manufactures shoes, clothing and accessories. It is the largest sportswear manufacturer in Europe, and the second largest in the world.
Last edited by Fieldhouse Flyer on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby friars321 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 am

Did a quick search but could not find what I wanted. Can anyone get a list of NCAA teams sponsored by Adidas? More importantly Big East teams sponsored by Adidas. I am certain more will come out and other companies like Nike and UA have issues, but for now the concern is Adidas so I am curious which schools are linked to them.
friars321

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:39 am

friars321 wrote:Did a quick search but could not find what I wanted. Can anyone get a list of NCAA teams sponsored by Adidas? More importantly Big East teams sponsored by Adidas. I am certain more will come out and other companies like Nike and UA have issues, but for now the concern is Adidas so I am curious which schools are linked to them.

Here are a couple different articles. Like you, I can't find one single source of all Adidas contracts...I have yet to see a Big East school on any list.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/news/2017/09/26/here-are-10-major-conference-ncaa-schools-with.html

http://collegead.com/adidas-spending-big-college-contracts/

Most notable, with the amount paid to school by Adidas (this is the info in the second link above):
Michigan; $8,200,000
UCLA; $7,500,000
Kansas; $6,375,000
Louisville; $5,680,000
Tennessee**; $5,550,000
Nebraska; $4,050,000
Indiana; $3,795,000
Wisconsin; $3,500,000
North Carolina State; $3,025,000
Cincinnati; $2,625,000
Savannah Jay

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 am

If it's this crazy in college hoops i.e. $150k for players just imagine what Bama, FSU, Ohio St., etc. pay recruits in football which makes way more money and has much more power.

What I really don't understand is why Calipari is not being mentioned here. The only slimier coach in America than Pitino is Cal. The guy gets nothing but 1 and done 5 stars down to his bench. You can't tell me all these guys just want to go to Kentucky. He wins almost every recruiting battle up against other major blue blood programs. If the FBI is serious about this, he's the first to look at after Pitino. I think these developments actually benefit us, as we are a major basketball conference but we don't have anywhere near the money these huge state football schools have. It will help even the playing field and it will be much easier to negatively recruit against the Louisville/Arizona/Kentucky type of program. Even if nothing happens to Cal, I'm sure some assistant coaches at other schools will tell recruits "He's a shady guy and given what's going on with the FBI you have to be careful". I was listening to Mad Dog radio this morning and they said recruits will be more likely now to simply go where they want to instead of going where shoe companies or handlers want them. At the same time, I don't want SJ's recruiting woes blamed entirely on this stuff. We still have tons of work to do. The only thing that would make this situation more entertaining is if UConn was investigated and caught paying Sidney Wilson $100k to immediately transfer from SJ.

I'm curious to hear what significant changes everyone thinks they will see as outcomes of the investigations. Thoughts?
MullinMayhem

Postby EMT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:13 am

MullinMayhem wrote:If it's this crazy in college hoops i.e. $150k for players just imagine what Bama, FSU, Ohio St., etc. pay recruits in football which makes way more money and has much more power.

What I really don't understand is why Calipari is not being mentioned here. The only slimier coach in America than Pitino is Cal. The guy gets nothing but 1 and done 5 stars down to his bench. You can't tell me all these guys just want to go to Kentucky. He wins almost every recruiting battle up against other major blue blood programs. If the FBI is serious about this, he's the first to look at after Pitino. I think these developments actually benefit us, as we are a major basketball conference but we don't have anywhere near the money these huge state football schools have. It will help even the playing field and it will be much easier to negatively recruit against the Louisville/Arizona/Kentucky type of program. Even if nothing happens to Cal, I'm sure some assistant coaches at other schools will tell recruits "He's a shady guy and given what's going on with the FBI you have to be careful". I was listening to Mad Dog radio this morning and they said recruits will be more likely now to simply go where they want to instead of going where shoe companies or handlers want them. At the same time, I don't want SJ's recruiting woes blamed entirely on this stuff. We still have tons of work to do. The only thing that would make this situation more entertaining is if UConn was investigated and caught paying Sidney Wilson $100k to immediately transfer from SJ.

I'm curious to hear what significant changes everyone thinks they will see as outcomes of the investigations. Thoughts?

The teams aren't making the payments. The shoe companies are...I'm not saying football isn't corrupt but football players aren't getting the shoe contracts that basketball players are and it's very difficult to project the pro ability of a 18yr old football player.
EMT

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 am

MullinMayhem wrote:I'm curious to hear what significant changes everyone thinks they will see as outcomes of the investigations. Thoughts?

Best case scenario: While it'll never be removed, the shadiness of recruiting will be slowed down with many people simply afraid to get involved for fear of arrest. This should put the Big East schools in a solid recruiting position compared to the wealthier state schools as their money will be less of an edge in recruiting. If all Big East schools avoid this scandal, it could really help elevate the conference as this could be a major setback for some of the bigger F5 schools.

Worst case scenario: The big F5 players have a lot of money, they know it's a major advantage, and they want to use it to their advantage. This will be the straw that causes the F5 to break away from the NCAA and form their own division that allows them to pay players so they can do so legally and not have to resort to the bribes and underhanded tactics that get the feds involved.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:23 am

just saw this-
FOX Business‏Verified account @FoxBusiness · 3m3 minutes ago
#BreakingNews: Report: Louisville basetball coach Rick Pitino to be fired today

no shock at all.

Just amazing to think what was it 11 days ago he was on ESPN Gameday making football picks. Now this.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:30 am

and saw this:
Kent Taylor‏Verified account @KentTaylorWAVE · 6m6 minutes ago
According to sources, Tom Jurich was asked to fire Rick Pitino, refused, both were fired
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board