FBI Arrests NCAA coaches for corruption

The home for Big East hoops

Re: FBI Arrests NCAA coaches for corruption

Postby sciencejay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Am I surprised? I guess not really. But in my world, I wanted to think that this stuff wasn't going on. Grateful that BEast schools lost out on some of these recruits--maybe we wouldn't (couldn't) offer them as much? Just a sad day. I knew the chips were stacked against the little guy in recruiting battles, but holy $h!t. The cynic in me now wonders what we do offer the recruits we do get. I think we'd might be surprised/disappointed to know the truth.

Just seeing now that Louisville's defense team publicized their defense strategy: "We're not saying we didn't do it, but (1) the evidence was obtained illegally, and (2) it's not like we had them enroll in fake classes to keep their GPAs up like UNC does!" :D ;) :lol:
sciencejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:43 pm

One report alleges a company bidding war on Bowen's services (perhaps other late entry Oregon). This is just getting started. At least 6 universities, 11 or more individual recruits/players, plus the agents, advisors, managers, coaches, etc., and an Adidas VP. Probably merely scratched the surface. Fortunately it is a federal investigation (Attorney General, FBI) and jail time. FBI is like bloodhounds...once they get the scent it's off to the races. NCAA stuff comes later.
Relieved no BE schools involved. (Who's writing this post for gtmo? No jabs at our brethren?)

Sciencejay- the vast majority of universities offer what is allowed. a good education (free), a chance to play college athletics, and the college experience, and "cost of attendance" stipends now that they are allowed. The truth, in the vast majority of cases would bore you to sleep. The vast majority of universities abide by the rules. We must remember that the actions being alleged and indicted for in this case are illegal actions, crimes.

Ahhh, Hot spicy nachos & a cheddar/blue cheese blend, Hot/spicy salsa. Chased with freshly shaken "75" cocktails. This my friends is great entertainment. All the best.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby novahoops11 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:25 pm

novahoops11

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:27 pm

This article gives a lot more detail for those of you interested:

The FBI is investigating and charging college basketball coaches for bribing players - SB Nation - September 26, 2017 at 7:05 PM EDT
The Department of Justice is soon to announce more about a corruption investigation into college basketball.

Alleged NCAA coach bribery scheme in a nutshell (Diagram 1 of 2) - US Attorney Southern District of New York‏ - September 26, 2017

Alleged NCAA coach bribery scheme in a nutshell (Diagram 2 of 2) - US Attorney Southern District of New York‏ - September 26, 2017

Louisville has received official notice that it is under FBI investigation, per release. - John Rothstein tweet - September 26, 2017

Louisville basketball should be given death penalty if bombshell NCAA allegations prove true - Pat Forde, Yahoo! - September 26, 2017

# 1 - Louisville Cardinals - Team Value: $45.4 million - Forbes - College Basketball's Most Valuable Teams 2016

The Cards' stock took a big hit on Wall Street today.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Well I'm glad we didn't get Bowen now. For a couple of months prior to his commitment, many crystal ball experts had him as a Creighton lean. Then suddenly toward the end of his recruitment he started having interest in Oregon and Louisville. Have to wonder about the shenanigans between those two schools.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby jfan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 pm

novahoops11 wrote:Image
I didn't know gtmo had such big ears!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby herodotus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 pm

sciencejay wrote:Am I surprised? I guess not really. But in my world, I wanted to think that this stuff wasn't going on. Grateful that BEast schools lost out on some of these recruits--maybe we wouldn't (couldn't) offer them as much? Just a sad day. I knew the chips were stacked against the little guy in recruiting battles, but holy $h!t. The cynic in me now wonders what we do offer the recruits we do get. I think we'd might be surprised/disappointed to know the truth.

Just seeing now that Louisville's defense team publicized their defense strategy: "We're not saying we didn't do it, but (1) the evidence was obtained illegally, and (2) it's not like we had them enroll in fake classes to keep their GPAs up like UNC does!" :D ;) :lol:

This is the worrisome thing. I don't want to get too smug, then get slapped across the face if one of our schools is dirty. You know these coaches will be snitching like mad. "Yes, we paid $100,000, because we knew that (fill in a BE school) was offering $80,000. Hopefully that won't be the case, but pretty much every D1 school, and maybe some D2 as well, has to be nervous. You almost wish we weren't involved with any of these players.
herodotus

Postby hortle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:45 pm

yeah I seriously doubt that every BE school hasn't dirtied their hands. if this happened 5 years ago, I'd say no way creighton got itself involved. then we moved conferences, got patrick sellers then Preston Murphy, they seem a lot more big league than devries or merf in terms of connections. Not saying Preston is guilty or anything. But its more likely that every relevant program has a share in the guilty pie.
hortle

Postby mel ott » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:16 pm

hortle wrote:yeah I seriously doubt that every BE school hasn't dirtied their hands. if this happened 5 years ago, I'd say no way creighton got itself involved. then we moved conferences, got patrick sellers then Preston Murphy, they seem a lot more big league than devries or merf in terms of connections. Not saying Preston is guilty or anything. But its more likely that every relevant program has a share in the guilty pie.

That is just wrong- know you aren't just saying, but you are suggesting! You want to look like a great predictor in case you're right. Why would you smear people's reputation without an ounce of evidence against them. Perfect for this type of reporting in the country- accuse, decide and then let's look for the facts. If someone did something we will know soon enough. We don't need your wisdom in trying to figure out the culprits.
mel ott

Postby Irishdawg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:04 pm

hortle wrote:yeah I seriously doubt that every BE school hasn't dirtied their hands. if this happened 5 years ago, I'd say no way creighton got itself involved. then we moved conferences, got patrick sellers then Preston Murphy, they seem a lot more big league than devries or merf in terms of connections. Not saying Preston is guilty or anything. But its more likely that every relevant program has a share in the guilty pie.

Respectfully going to disagree, at least from Butler's perspective. If they're cheating to get recruits, they sure do suck at it.
Irishdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board