Villanova’s Phil Booth is Back

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 am

Villanova beats North Carolina on Jenkins' buzzer-beater to claim first national championship since 1985 – Associated Press – April 5, 2016

#2 Villanova 77, #1 North Carolina 74 – National Championship Game Box Score – April 5, 2016

Phil Booth, the guy who hit the shot before the shot for Villanova – CSN Philly – April 5, 2016

NCAA title game top scorer Phil Booth returns healthy for Nova – Associated Press – September 14, 2017
Booth, now a 6-foot-3, 190-pound junior guard, averaged only 7 points that season and was scoreless in 12 minutes against Kansas in the regional final. Against the Tar Heels, Booth scored a career-high 20 on 6 of 7 shooting (two 3s) and 6 of 6 free throws.

''I didn't really know or pay attention to how many points I had until I got to my phone and saw all the texts,'' he said. ''I had no idea. I just knew we won the game.''

Booth also knew he couldn't play much more on a painful left knee that even ached in warmups against the Tar Heels. Booth has no idea how the knee was injured; he just knows it wasn't the result of a direct hit and it started early in his sophomore year. He had surgery to repair a meniscus tear about a month after the national championship game and came back ready to help the Wildcats try and defend the title.

Booth felt an unrelated ''flare up'' on his left kneecap early last season and his year was cut to only three games. Booth against underwent surgery at the end of the season.

He missed Villanova repeat as Big East champions and was a helpless spectator when its season ended with a loss to Wisconsin in just the second game of the NCAA Tournament.

Booth is the only player wearing a suit, his hat backward and a T-shirt draped over his shoulder, in a Big East tournament championship photo that hangs in the hall of the basketball complex.

He's a future pro if healthy, and considered the risk had he pushed through the pain last season. Booth did practice at the end of the season before he was shut down near the NCAA Tournament.

''It was all about the long-term thing. It could come back. It could not,'' he said. ''I decided to do the thing that was best for long-term playing.''

Booth has finished his rehab but coach Jay Wright eased him back into workouts at the start of the semester. One day on, one day off. Wright, starting his 17th season at Villanova, said Booth will hit full speed with no restrictions next week.

Best of luck to Phil Booth and the Wildcats this season.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Villanova’s Phil Booth is Back

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Booth was outstanding in the title game. That is still the most exciting finish I've ever seen.
ArmyVet

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Phil's a player. Insert into starting lineup and bring Donte D off the bench. Really hope his knee isn't a recurring issue. High character kid who deserves his shot at becoming great.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm impressed - and I don't easily impress.

Ol' Phil "mi telefono" Booth is back. Has on a suit with a t-shirt and cape draped over his shoulder.
Good for 'Nova...Let's git this season rollin'!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Return to Big East basketball message board