Big East Schedule Release

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby BigmanU » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 am

NJRedman wrote:
BigmanU wrote:I'll say this first, Hoya fans have differing opinions on the schedule.

I personally have no problem with the cupcake city schedule because of the following reasons.

This is a 1st time head coach at any level and needs to implement his system.
Hired late in the process and had to recruit & re-recruit players to fill out his roster, get acclimated to the college landscape etc.
Hoyas finished 9th last year even with his best two players (Peak & Pryor) on the roster.

Mullin jumped in feet first his 1st year and s*** all over himself, we shall see (this is the year) if that was a wise idea. I like WoJo's approach start slow, rebuild/establish an identity and winning will come. Ewing is destroying this thing and rebuilding again. He wants to reinstill confidence while implementing his game plan. I could care less about the SOS and how it affects the league. All I care about is the Hoyas and hopefully (if were lucky) cracking BEast heads in the not too distant future. Most Georgetown fans are realist and know this isn't a NCAA team, this is a rebuild year. If by luck we are winning come BEast time, we better win 10 games in conference or the BEAst tourney. If were that good it will have to be played out during the conference season. Just want to crack heads and reestablish our brand of ball in the BEast, everything else is gravy. I'm pretty sure this is a one year thing for Ewing and personally would be upset if the weak schedule trend continues, but I will give our HOF'er the benefit of the doubt this year.


Shitting all over himself? You think it's going to look better going 10-2 in OOC then 0-18 in conference play?


(If) we lose two games OOC, 5 wins in the BEast would make us .500

I'll take that. What does getting curb stomped with a 8-24 record in year #1 prove exactly? 14-19 in Year #2 isn't much better. All signs point that your a NIT if not fringe NCAA team this year, I hope the latter. I would love for New York's team to succeed because when your good everyone else benefits.
BigmanU
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:06 pm

BigmanU wrote:
NJRedman wrote:Shitting all over himself? You think it's going to look better going 10-2 in OOC then 0-18 in conference play?


(If) we lose two games OOC, 5 wins in the BEast would make us .500

I'll take that. What does getting curb stomped with a 8-24 record in year #1 prove exactly? 14-19 in Year #2 isn't much better. All signs point that your a NIT if not fringe NCAA team this year, I hope the latter. I would love for New York's team to succeed because when your good everyone else benefits.


If Ewing loses to one of those extremely, creamy, cream puffs, then it will look bad, and he'll catch flak (trust me, he will catch it). If he blasts them all, then no one cares, because that is what they're suppose to do.

I didn't like it, but I'll take getting smoked, ala Mullin, his first season to gauge what he needs and what needs to be worked on. I didn't particularly care for last season, outside of a few games, but still a learning season, per se'.

Georgetown won't learn a thing about who they are, outside of possibly games versus Syracuse and Richmond, in the early season. If Ewing is getting his ass lambasted in conference play, which is a likely possibility, then who's to say he won't resort to the same OOC schedule in 2018-2019?

Frankly, I think some Georgetown fans are merely hoping Ewing won't resort to this type of scheduling next season. There isn't anything said or has been written that he won't go the same route in '18-'19. Telling themselves it won't be the same the following season, as sort of a defensive mechanism, because they know deep down it's an extremely, crappy schedule that shouldn't even be played this season. I see some wishful thinking and blind faith going on.

This is the second-worst schedule in the KenPom era (which, dates back to 2002). The only one worst than theirs are the 2004-2005 Baylor Bears, and that was due to their program coming off a murder scandal.

IMO, Georgetown's "rebuild" doesn't warrant this kind of schedule. No one can or will convince me differently. I feel this is more of a coward schedule and to boost Ewing's "win" resume'.
Red Rooster
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:19 am

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby BigmanU » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
BigmanU wrote:
NJRedman wrote:Shitting all over himself? You think it's going to look better going 10-2 in OOC then 0-18 in conference play?


(If) we lose two games OOC, 5 wins in the BEast would make us .500

I'll take that. What does getting curb stomped with a 8-24 record in year #1 prove exactly? 14-19 in Year #2 isn't much better. All signs point that your a NIT if not fringe NCAA team this year, I hope the latter. I would love for New York's team to succeed because when your good everyone else benefits.


If Ewing loses to one of those extremely, creamy, cream puffs, then it will look bad, and he'll catch flak (trust me, he will catch it). If he blasts them all, then no one cares, because that is what they're suppose to do.

I didn't like it, but I'll take getting smoked, ala Mullin, his first season to gauge what he needs and what needs to be worked on. I didn't particularly care for last season, outside of a few games, but still a learning season, per se'.

Georgetown won't learn a thing about who they are, outside of possibly games versus Syracuse and Richmond, in the early season. If Ewing is getting his ass lambasted in conference play, which is a likely possibility, then who's to say he won't resort to the same OOC schedule in 2018-2019?

Frankly, I think some Georgetown fans are merely hoping Ewing won't resort to this type of scheduling next season. There isn't anything said or has been written that he won't go the same route in '18-'19. Telling themselves it won't be the same the following season, as sort of a defensive mechanism, because they know deep down it's an extremely, crappy schedule that shouldn't even be played this season. I see some wishful thinking and blind faith going on.

This is the second-worst schedule in the KenPom era (which, dates back to 2002). The only one worst than theirs are the 2004-2005 Baylor Bears, and that was due to their program coming off a murder scandal.

IMO, Georgetown's "rebuild" doesn't warrant this kind of schedule. No one can or will convince me differently. I feel this is more of a coward schedule and to boost Ewing's "win" resume'.


Answer this.
What does getting curb stomped with a 8-24 record in year #1 prove exactly? 14-19 in Year #2 isn't much better, so what exactly was accomplished?

If getting trashed like that in year #1 extremely benefitted the team in Year #2 I understand, but it didn't.

"There isn't anything said or has been written that he won't go the same route in '18-'19." Nothing has been said either way, so what's your point? That's a discussion for next year, if there needs to be one.
BigmanU
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 pm

For the Conference what Georgetown is doing this year is MUCH better than what St John's did- as long as Georgetown wins those games. That's the key. St John's had what was it 2-3 brutal losses in 2016. If they beat NJIT and Incarnate Word, they finish 9-22(remember Chaminade game doesn't count) and while not great, not a team with a RPI of 246 like what St John's did back in 2016. A lot of what happened with St John's was as a result of those 2 brutal losses(not even mentioning Fordham) and not really the schedule.
stever20
 
Posts: 8394
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:19 pm

BigmanU wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:If Ewing loses to one of those extremely, creamy, cream puffs, then it will look bad, and he'll catch flak (trust me, he will catch it). If he blasts them all, then no one cares, because that is what they're suppose to do.

I didn't like it, but I'll take getting smoked, ala Mullin, his first season to gauge what he needs and what needs to be worked on. I didn't particularly care for last season, outside of a few games, but still a learning season, per se'.

Georgetown won't learn a thing about who they are, outside of possibly games versus Syracuse and Richmond, in the early season. If Ewing is getting his ass lambasted in conference play, which is a likely possibility, then who's to say he won't resort to the same OOC schedule in 2018-2019?

Frankly, I think some Georgetown fans are merely hoping Ewing won't resort to this type of scheduling next season. There isn't anything said or has been written that he won't go the same route in '18-'19. Telling themselves it won't be the same the following season, as sort of a defensive mechanism, because they know deep down it's an extremely, crappy schedule that shouldn't even be played this season. I see some wishful thinking and blind faith going on.

This is the second-worst schedule in the KenPom era (which, dates back to 2002). The only one worst than theirs are the 2004-2005 Baylor Bears, and that was due to their program coming off a murder scandal.

IMO, Georgetown's "rebuild" doesn't warrant this kind of schedule. No one can or will convince me differently. I feel this is more of a coward schedule and to boost Ewing's "win" resume'.


Answer this.
What does getting curb stomped with a 8-24 record in year #1 prove exactly? 14-19 in Year #2 isn't much better, so what exactly was accomplished?

If getting trashed like that in year #1 extremely benefitted the team in Year #2 I understand, but it didn't.


Yeah, it's easier to say that after the fact. An Ohio State team in 1997-1998 got spanked (ended up at 8-22), but came back the following season and ended up in the Final Four. Now, I know that won't be the case for many teams, but there's isn't anything wrong with challenging your team, whether you feel you have the personnel or not.

So, you used an example and I used one. Frankly, Georgetown has better talent on this current squad than St. John's on Mullin's first team. If you say differently, then you're lying to yourself. It's a crock of schedule that shouldn't be played by the Hoyas' current bunch, no matter how you attempt to slice it.

"There isn't anything said or has been written that he won't go the same route in '18-'19." Nothing has been said either way, so what's your point? That's a discussion for next year, if there needs to be one.


What's your point? You said, "I'm pretty sure this is a one year thing for Ewing and personally would be upset if the weak schedule trend continues, but I will give our HOF'er the benefit of the doubt this year."

In bold: That sounds like someone speaking in absolutes. It is a discussion for next year, so why mention you're sure he won't play the same schedule next year? You don't know, and neither do I. But, I do know there hasn't been anything said or written where he won't go the same route a season from now. That's a fact!

He's already gone on record about (paraphrasing) "not wanting to get his ass kicked." If he gets his ass kicked in Big East play, then who's to say he won't go the same route a season from now when it comes to their OOC schedule?
Red Rooster
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:19 am

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby NJRedman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:44 pm

BigmanU wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
BigmanU wrote:I'll say this first, Hoya fans have differing opinions on the schedule.

I personally have no problem with the cupcake city schedule because of the following reasons.

This is a 1st time head coach at any level and needs to implement his system.
Hired late in the process and had to recruit & re-recruit players to fill out his roster, get acclimated to the college landscape etc.
Hoyas finished 9th last year even with his best two players (Peak & Pryor) on the roster.

Mullin jumped in feet first his 1st year and s*** all over himself, we shall see (this is the year) if that was a wise idea. I like WoJo's approach start slow, rebuild/establish an identity and winning will come. Ewing is destroying this thing and rebuilding again. He wants to reinstill confidence while implementing his game plan. I could care less about the SOS and how it affects the league. All I care about is the Hoyas and hopefully (if were lucky) cracking BEast heads in the not too distant future. Most Georgetown fans are realist and know this isn't a NCAA team, this is a rebuild year. If by luck we are winning come BEast time, we better win 10 games in conference or the BEAst tourney. If were that good it will have to be played out during the conference season. Just want to crack heads and reestablish our brand of ball in the BEast, everything else is gravy. I'm pretty sure this is a one year thing for Ewing and personally would be upset if the weak schedule trend continues, but I will give our HOF'er the benefit of the doubt this year.


Shitting all over himself? You think it's going to look better going 10-2 in OOC then 0-18 in conference play?


(If) we lose two games OOC, 5 wins in the BEast would make us .500

I'll take that. What does getting curb stomped with a 8-24 record in year #1 prove exactly? 14-19 in Year #2 isn't much better. All signs point that your a NIT if not fringe NCAA team this year, I hope the latter. I would love for New York's team to succeed because when your good everyone else benefits.


You're not winning 5 games in the Big East so whats the point of raking up meaningless cupcake wins which doesn't actually help your team grow?
User avatar
NJRedman
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:40 am

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 pm

stever20 wrote:For the Conference what Georgetown is doing this year is MUCH better than what St John's did- as long as Georgetown wins those games. That's the key. St John's had what was it 2-3 brutal losses in 2016. If they beat NJIT and Incarnate Word, they finish 9-22(remember Chaminade game doesn't count) and while not great, not a team with a RPI of 246 like what St John's did back in 2016. A lot of what happened with St John's was as a result of those 2 brutal losses(not even mentioning Fordham) and not really the schedule.


More trolling, Stever. How will it be better if they win those games? Say what you want, but Georgetown's RPI will probably stink, regardless (outside of winning 10 or more conference games). Imagine if they lose one or more of those games.

Besides, Georgetown has better overall personnel now than the Johnnies when Mullin took over. St. John's was literally starting over based on their roster and staff. That's not quite the same for Georgetown.

Do I believe Georgetown will fair poorly this season? Yes, I do. But their situation is a bit different and even better than St. John's when Mullin took over.

The Hoyas are playing the worst schedule in the last 13 years in all of D-1 hoops! Let that sink in.
Red Rooster
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:19 am

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 pm

St John's while yes looks like 8-24 was for RPI purposes only 4.2-24.4.

If Georgetown has no bad losses, they'll have for RPI purposes 6 wins just from the OOC schedule(assuming losses to Syracuse and Richmond). That's a huge difference. If Georgetown can get 3-4 conference wins, going to have at least like 8.4 RPI wins. That's not great, but it's double what St John's got 2 years ago. Also have to remember for other teams in the conference- they get Georgetowns regular record- so if they are 10-2 OOC, that's what's going to be added to the 50% pot.

For Georgetown they're instead of playing a team like NJIT which was a decent team(right around 200 RPI) they're playing one of the worst teams. So not as much of a chance to lose.
stever20
 
Posts: 8394
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby BigmanU » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 am

Red Rooster wrote:
BigmanU wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:If Ewing loses to one of those extremely, creamy, cream puffs, then it will look bad, and he'll catch flak (trust me, he will catch it). If he blasts them all, then no one cares, because that is what they're suppose to do.

I didn't like it, but I'll take getting smoked, ala Mullin, his first season to gauge what he needs and what needs to be worked on. I didn't particularly care for last season, outside of a few games, but still a learning season, per se'.

Georgetown won't learn a thing about who they are, outside of possibly games versus Syracuse and Richmond, in the early season. If Ewing is getting his ass lambasted in conference play, which is a likely possibility, then who's to say he won't resort to the same OOC schedule in 2018-2019?

Frankly, I think some Georgetown fans are merely hoping Ewing won't resort to this type of scheduling next season. There isn't anything said or has been written that he won't go the same route in '18-'19. Telling themselves it won't be the same the following season, as sort of a defensive mechanism, because they know deep down it's an extremely, crappy schedule that shouldn't even be played this season. I see some wishful thinking and blind faith going on.

This is the second-worst schedule in the KenPom era (which, dates back to 2002). The only one worst than theirs are the 2004-2005 Baylor Bears, and that was due to their program coming off a murder scandal.

IMO, Georgetown's "rebuild" doesn't warrant this kind of schedule. No one can or will convince me differently. I feel this is more of a coward schedule and to boost Ewing's "win" resume'.


Answer this.
What does getting curb stomped with a 8-24 record in year #1 prove exactly? 14-19 in Year #2 isn't much better, so what exactly was accomplished?

If getting trashed like that in year #1 extremely benefitted the team in Year #2 I understand, but it didn't.


Yeah, it's easier to say that after the fact. An Ohio State team in 1997-1998 got spanked (ended up at 8-22), but came back the following season and ended up in the Final Four. Now, I know that won't be the case for many teams, but there's isn't anything wrong with challenging your team, whether you feel you have the personnel or not.

So, you used an example and I used one. Frankly, Georgetown has better talent on this current squad than St. John's on Mullin's first team. If you say differently, then you're lying to yourself. It's a crock of schedule that shouldn't be played by the Hoyas' current bunch, no matter how you attempt to slice it.

"There isn't anything said or has been written that he won't go the same route in '18-'19." Nothing has been said either way, so what's your point? That's a discussion for next year, if there needs to be one.


What's your point? You said, "I'm pretty sure this is a one year thing for Ewing and personally would be upset if the weak schedule trend continues, but I will give our HOF'er the benefit of the doubt this year."

In bold: That sounds like someone speaking in absolutes. It is a discussion for next year, so why mention you're sure he won't play the same schedule next year? You don't know, and neither do I. But, I do know there hasn't been anything said or written where he won't go the same route a season from now. That's a fact!

He's already gone on record about (paraphrasing) "not wanting to get his ass kicked." If he gets his ass kicked in Big East play, then who's to say he won't go the same route a season from now when it comes to their OOC schedule?



You still haven't backed up your argument of how Mullin & St. John's getting it's a** handed to them (15'-16' SEASON) was beneficial ?? If you can't do this using facts we have nothing else to discuss. Like I said previously, I'll take Marquette's approach. I'll paraphrase what a great coach once said, If the coach concerns himself with what the fans think, he will find his a** in the stands sitting next to them .


and NJRedman: You're not winning 5 games in the Big East so whats the point of raking up meaningless cupcake wins which doesn't actually help your team grow? Nothing (wins & losses based on pre-season projections) is guaranteed, ask Providence fans who are annually slept on. The slow scheduling approach recently worked for Marquette fans just fine. You talk as if the season has already been played.
BigmanU
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby stever20 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 am

the problem with Marquette's schedule using it as a comparison is that it wasn't his 1st year on the job.

In year 1- Marquette played Wisconsin, Michigan St, and Ohio St- all 3 top 50 teams. Their official NCAA OOC SOS was #173. Not great, but not dreadful at all. 4 teams RPI 201 or worse.....
It's the year 2 that folks had a problem with Marquette. That year only 2 top 50 teams. And a whopping 7 teams RPI 201 or worse. Their official NCAA OOC SOS that year was #326.

If those years had been swapped, I don't have a problem with that at all when you come in with a poor/new team.
stever20
 
Posts: 8394
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], RxJay and 13 guests