Big East Schedule Release

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Schedule Release

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am

BigmanU wrote:You still haven't backed up your argument of how Mullin & St. John's getting it's a** handed to them (15'-16' SEASON) was beneficial ?? If you can't do this using facts we have nothing else to discuss. Like I said previously, I'll take Marquette's approach. I'll paraphrase what a great coach once said, If the coach concerns himself with what the fans think, he will find his a** in the stands sitting next to them .

and NJRedman: You're not winning 5 games in the Big East so whats the point of raking up meaningless cupcake wins which doesn't actually help your team grow? Nothing (wins & losses based on pre-season projections) is guaranteed, ask Providence fans who are annually slept on. The slow scheduling approach recently worked for Marquette fans just fine. You talk as if the season has already been played.

Why are you consistently focusing on how a difficult or a decent schedule didn't benefit St. John's? That's a fallacy in itself when I gave you a situation where it benefited one team, and I could give several others. Marquette's "approach" wasn't nearly as a bad as Georgetown's. Besides, Marquette's approach also placed them in a situation where they missed out not only on the NCAA's, but they also missed out on the NIT, because their schedule was so weak during the '15-'16 season. So, you haven't backed up anything, either.

Since you wanna refer to St. John's, they had a better record than the previous season. It may have not garnered any postseason tournament bid, but it was an improvement. So, I could say, the tougher schedule did benefit the team, if I truly wanted to be technical about it. You also don't understand or too obtuse to know St. John's situation was much dire than Georgetown's current situation. St. John's had to basically replace an entire roster, along with bringing in a new staff.

You can say what you want, but based off Ewing's quotes, this schedule is set up to puff up the win totals for him. He backed out in the PK80 Tournament because he didn't want to get his "ass kicked." What kinda crap message is that to not only the team, but also to fans of the program? What tournaments did Marquette back out of because Wojo was afraid of getting his "ass kicked?"

Georgetown has the worst schedule, per KenPom, in the last 13 years! The only one worst than theirs was a program coming off a murder scandal. You won't acknowledge it because you know deep down it's a BS schedule. So, you're one of the Hoya fans who would rather use deflection, in this case, talking about St. John's previous schedule.

I bet that coach who quoted such was either a winning coach or a coach who was losing and was using defensive mechanisms to save his 'hind. Guess what, fella? The fans played a huge role in JT3's ousting. So, save those trite sayings for someone who may not know any better. The schedule is garbage! Oh! What is Ewing going to do when he's getting his "ass kicked" in conference play? Take those team's off the schedule, too? Too bad that isn't in the cards.

Once again, it worked out for Marquette because they had a decent team AND they played a slightly, better schedule last season than they played the season before. But, Marquette's poor scheduling cost them the season before last. I'll also add Marquette probably would've had a better seed in the '17 NCAA's, if they had played a tougher schedule last season. They were 10-8 in a major conference, and ended up with a 10 seed. A tournament appearance, nonetheless, but a lousy seed for a team with a winning record in a major conference. That was all due to their average OOC schedule.

Regardless, you still can't say Georgetown's schedule is on par with Marquette's, because that isn't the case. Not even close! The second worst schedule in the KenPom era, which dates back to 2002 (https://twitter.com/boettger_eli/status ... 4920420352). So, miss me with the fallacies and obfuscation.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BigmanU » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
BigmanU wrote:You still haven't backed up your argument of how Mullin & St. John's getting it's a** handed to them (15'-16' SEASON) was beneficial ?? If you can't do this using facts we have nothing else to discuss. Like I said previously, I'll take Marquette's approach. I'll paraphrase what a great coach once said, If the coach concerns himself with what the fans think, he will find his a** in the stands sitting next to them .

and NJRedman: You're not winning 5 games in the Big East so whats the point of raking up meaningless cupcake wins which doesn't actually help your team grow? Nothing (wins & losses based on pre-season projections) is guaranteed, ask Providence fans who are annually slept on. The slow scheduling approach recently worked for Marquette fans just fine. You talk as if the season has already been played.

Why are you consistently focusing on how a difficult or a decent schedule didn't benefit St. John's? That's a fallacy in itself when I gave you a situation where it benefited one team, and I could give several others. Marquette's "approach" wasn't nearly as a bad as Georgetown's. Besides, Marquette's approach also placed them in a situation where they missed out not only on the NCAA's, but they also missed out on the NIT, because their schedule was so weak during the '15-'16 season. So, you haven't backed up anything, either.

Since you wanna refer to St. John's, they had a better record than the previous season. It may have not garnered any postseason tournament bid, but it was an improvement. So, I could say, the tougher schedule did benefit the team, if I truly wanted to be technical about it. You also don't understand or too obtuse to know St. John's situation was much dire than Georgetown's current situation. St. John's had to basically replace an entire roster, along with bringing in a new staff.

You can say what you want, but based off Ewing's quotes, this schedule is set up to puff up the win totals for him. He backed out in the PK80 Tournament because he didn't want to get his "ass kicked." What kinda crap message is that to not only the team, but also to fans of the program? What tournaments did Marquette back out of because Wojo was afraid of getting his "ass kicked?"

Georgetown has the worst schedule, per KenPom, in the last 13 years! The only one worst than theirs was a program coming off a murder scandal. You won't acknowledge it because you know deep down it's a BS schedule. So, you're one of the Hoya fans who would rather use deflection, in this case, talking about St. John's previous schedule.

I bet that coach who quoted such was either a winning coach or a coach who was losing and was using defensive mechanisms to save his 'hind. Guess what, fella? The fans played a huge role in JT3's ousting. So, save those trite sayings for someone who may not know any better. The schedule is garbage! Oh! What is Ewing going to do when he's getting his "ass kicked" in conference play? Take those team's off the schedule, too? Too bad that isn't in the cards.

Once again, it worked out for Marquette because they had a decent team AND they played a slightly, better schedule last season than they played the season before. But, Marquette's poor scheduling cost them the season before last. I'll also add Marquette probably would've had a better seed in the '17 NCAA's, if they had played a tougher schedule last season. They were 10-8 in a major conference, and ended up with a 10 seed. A tournament appearance, nonetheless, but a lousy seed for a team with a winning record in a major conference. That was all due to their average OOC schedule.

Regardless, you still can't say Georgetown's schedule is on par with Marquette's, because that isn't the case. Not even close! The second worst schedule in the KenPom era, which dates back to 2002 (https://twitter.com/boettger_eli/status ... 4920420352). So, miss me with the fallacies and obfuscation.

Your talking yourself in circles. I said in my initial post I could care less about RPI or how it affects the other teams. I want my team to prosper in the long run. St John's proved absolutely nothing last year, NOTHING! They have succeeded to being the absolute worst to just terrible, great progress. Hopefully next year you are at least average (NIT). This schedule will hopefully lay the groundwork & prepare us for the BEast grind. The BEast is consistently getting 5 teams in annually, we'll get at least ten tries to prove our worth. Maybe this year, you can join in on the fun.

As I stated earlier, it would be a miracle to make the NCAA's. 10 conference wins or the BEast title will be required to force our way in. I'm not confused it will be a tough road, I've excepted it by reasons explained in my initial post.

I bet that coach who quoted such was either a winning coach or a coach who was losing and was using defensive mechanisms to save his 'hind
A winning head coach or a losing head coach, way to cover all bases Fella. I paraphrased a HOF head coach named John Thompson Jr.

We'll agree to disagree. Six more wins and still didn't break .500. Give Mullin & Co a thatta boy for me, Champ
BigmanU

Postby NJRedman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:35 pm

BigmanU wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

Your talking yourself in circles. I said in my initial post I could care less about RPI or how it affects the other teams. I want my team to prosper in the long run. St John's proved absolutely nothing last year, NOTHING! They have succeeded to being the absolute worst to just terrible, great progress. Hopefully next year you are at least average (NIT). This schedule will hopefully lay the groundwork & prepare us for the BEast grind. The BEast is consistently getting 5 teams in annually, we'll get at least ten tries to prove our worth. Maybe this year, you can join in on the fun.

As I stated earlier, it would be a miracle to make the NCAA's. 10 conference wins or the BEast title will be required to force our way in. I'm not confused it will be a tough road, I've excepted it by reasons explained in my initial post.

I bet that coach who quoted such was either a winning coach or a coach who was losing and was using defensive mechanisms to save his 'hind
A winning head coach or a losing head coach, way to cover all bases Fella. I paraphrased a HOF head coach named John Thompson Jr.

We'll agree to disagree. Six more wins and still didn't break .500. Give Mullin & Co a thatta boy for me, Champ

Hahahahahaha yeah, that schedule sure is gonna get you ready for the Big East Grind. Maybe you guys can just forfeit every Big East game so you don't get your asses kicked? Always knew you Hoyas were as soft as baby s***. Don't make us get the Chinese over here and beat your asses again. hahahahaha
NJRedman

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:59 pm

BigmanU wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

So, by playing the second worst schedule, and the worst one in 13 years, since the KenPom era began in 2002, you're gonna have your team prosper in the long run? Where is that written? Playing that kinda schedule doesn't necessarily propel a program. Please, don't say Marquette, as I've already debunked that foolishness.

If you're good enough, then you're gonna win, regardless. But, a poor schedule, such as the one Georgetown has, can actually hurt a team (particularly a team who is likely to have a bad season, as the Hoyas). It can give off false beliefs and not actually prepare them for the grind of playing in a tough conference. Bad habits and things that may have worked on the "Sister's of the Poor" and "Cream Puff U." may lapse over into conference play, once the comp stiffens up. So, you're the fool who's talking in circles. By the way, go look up the word, "fallacies," as I sense you may need to brush up on them. There are several different types of fallacies, as well. I think you need to read up on all of them to get an idea.

By the way, it's "I couldn't care less." Maybe, you don't care, but conference members care, as it'll not only kill the conference RPI, but it could also kill Georgetown's RPI, in case they do overachieve. If they somehow overachieve, then they'll probably need to win 10 or 11 conference games to even get a sniff of the NCAA Tournament due to their OOC schedule being horrific. So, you say you don't care about the the RPI, but the NCAA committee obviously cares about it, as it's the tool used for selecting teams. I'm also sure other Georgetown fans will care about it, if they were to miss out on the tournament, due to playing a crappy schedule.

The only one talking in circles are you. You continue to bring up a dumb argument about St. John's and its schedule, and how it has or hasn't prepared them. Obviously, they wasn't good enough. Simple. But, then you try to argue for Georgetown and their garbage schedule, and talk about how it can prepare them for the grind in the conference. How will it prepare them for the grind of the conference? Please, enlighten us. All you're doing is trying to straddle the fence on Georgetown's possibilities, all the while, making up excuses and using deflection. Besides, it doesn't matter if I use St. John's as an example or another team as example. As, long as I make a point, which I have already done.

We'll agree to disagree. Six more wins and still didn't break .500. Give Mullin & Co a thatta boy for me, Champ.

Obviously, you can't comprehend. I said, a winning coach said it, as a winning coach wouldn't care what fans have to say, as he doesn't have anything to worry about. A losing coach, who probably was on his way out the door, would say such thing to cover his 'hind (and, use the quote as a defense mechanism as deflection). I'll say it again, fans were responsible for the ousting of JT3. So, put that saying in your pipe and smoke it. That saying is only relevant in a certain situation or two.

John Thompson, Jr. probably said that when he was either winning big or when he was on his way out the door after the program had practically hit the floor during his last few seasons. Which, would make my premises correct. I also wouldn't doubt the context he used it in didn't have anything to do with fans and scheduling. It was probably the fans booing or showing dismay in play on the court. Or, rooting for a certain player or more to get into the game. Context, fella.

I'm not agreeing with anything, but I will certainly disagree. So, on that account, that's fine. Come talk to me when you're looking up at eight or nine other conference teams (one of 'em being St. John's), obtuse one. ;)
Red Rooster

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board