transfers rules

The home for Big East hoops

transfers rules

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:41 pm

So the big talk is that the NCAA may allow transfers 1 time per kid a chance to transfer w/o sitting out a year....

I think this is a huge problem. I mean, what's to stop say a Kentucky who has say a great class coming in but no big guy the chance to get a senior to come in and play center as a 1 and done that way? I think it could really help the huge programs a lot, and really hurt even the middle to big programs considerably.

I think you could see things get really ugly really fast. Free Agency in college sports is not something I'm a fan of at all whatsoever. And that's exactly what we're looking at. Has the fingers of that damn Jeffrey Kessler written all over it.
stever20

transfers rules

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: transfers rules

Postby Jet915 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:20 pm

I personally don't like this rule either. You will start having coaches recruiting current players on your team behind the scenes. This will probably affect how coaches treat players as well. This will crush "mid-major/low major" teams as their top players will jump ship immediately. They can tweak the current rule where if your current coach gets fired or leaves for another job, you can leave as well and be immediately eligible.
Jet915

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Jet915 wrote:I personally don't like this rule either. You will start having coaches recruiting current players on your team behind the scenes. This will probably affect how coaches treat players as well. This will crush "mid-major/low major" teams as their top players will jump ship immediately. They can tweak the current rule where if your current coach gets fired or leaves for another job, you can leave as well and be immediately eligible.

I think it'll impact far more than you think. I could see a situation where say if the rules were in place now where a Kentucky would see a guy like a Delgado and lure him to come play for 1 year with top notch frosh. It's a joke.
stever20

Postby BEhomer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:02 pm

looks like the P5 figured out a way to squeeze out the mid majors without having to break away from NCAA entirely. you gotta give it to them. this is a brilliant move on their part.
BEhomer

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:59 pm

stever20 wrote:I think it'll impact far more than you think. I could see a situation where say if the rules were in place now where a Kentucky would see a guy like a Delgado and lure him to come play for 1 year with top notch frosh. It's a joke.

My guess would then be that Seton Hall would have another reason to poach Syracuse again.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby EMT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 pm

I can't believe I agree with stever.....

There is no way that the NCAA votes and passes this. It hurts the majority of the 320ish members of D1...

I could see it passing for coaches that leave though.
EMT

Postby Doge McDermott » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 am

EMT wrote:I can't believe I agree with stever.....

There is no way that the NCAA votes and passes this. It hurts the majority of the 320ish members of D1...

I could see it passing for coaches that leave though.

I think coaches should have to sit out a year if they decide to leave for another school. Seems only fair.
Doge McDermott

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:39 am

stever20 wrote:So the big talk is that the NCAA may allow transfers 1 time per kid a chance to transfer w/o sitting out a year....

I think this is a huge problem. I mean, what's to stop say a Kentucky who has say a great class coming in but no big guy the chance to get a senior to come in and play center as a 1 and done that way? I think it could really help the huge programs a lot, and really hurt even the middle to big programs considerably.

I think you could see things get really ugly really fast. Free Agency in college sports is not something I'm a fan of at all whatsoever. And that's exactly what we're looking at. Has the fingers of that damn Jeffrey Kessler written all over it.

Agreed, and I think it could/will make tampering with other schools' players a major issue. Like with your Kentucky example, with no sit year, what's there to stop them from recruiting Angel Delgado right off of SHU's roster? Many non blue-bloods find most of their success recruiting high upside/late bloomer players. Now these schools that need to take risks to compete will take all the risk and whenever they successfully develop a player, a blue blood will steal the kid off their roster as soon as he realizes his potential.

I agree that athletes get screwed by the NCAA and really need to be thrown a bone, but I don't think this is the way to go about it.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Return to Big East basketball message board