Ohio State at Xavier For Closed Srcimmage

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Ohio State at Xavier For Closed Srcimmage

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:08 am

Xudash wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Anything that fosters local rivalries and creates a tradition for the next generation of hoops fans, is a good thing. Ohio needs to make this happen. They should go the way of the Big 5 where everyone plays everyone, every year. Why not? That would be a lot fun.

Putting together the Ohio tournament would be very interesting, even if it meant holding it in Columbus every year.

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:
Yes my X friends, the sweater vests at UD would buy these tickets before they hit the market. I guarantee we'd travel to Cincy or Columbus. I don't condone hatred or disrespect to X fans, but I do hate X as an institution as any UD fan does (it's just fun to do) and would love to resume the rivalry every 2 years. I think it would raise the fever of BB across central and SE OH to where we deserve it to be as passionate fans (X, C, OSU, UD) of the game. Us Ohioans would easily match the passion of the excellent Philly series, and tobacco road. SW Ohio is a BB hotbed but we never have been able to fully leverage it. Maybe just too close and those at the top of the pile jealously guard their advantage...

4-Year Average Final RPI Ranking - Team ( 2013-14 RPI Ranking2014-15 RPI Ranking2015-16 RPI Ranking2016-17 RPI Ranking )

29.8 - Xavier ( 56 • 28 • 8 • 27 )
30.8 - Dayton ( 33 • 29 • 25 • 36 )
31.3 - Cincinnati ( 22 • 36 • 55 • 12 )
58.3 - Ohio State ( 25 • 38 • 78 • 92 )

CSM’s Top 144 Previews 2017-18
#76 - Ohio State (Xavier, Dayton, and Cincinnati are not yet listed in the Top 64 teams.)

New Ohio State coach open to idea of playing other top Ohio schools - Dayton Daily News - August 1, 2017
COLUMBUS - Ohio State Buckeyes men’s basketball coach Chris Holtmann would not be opposed to playing the likes of the Dayton Flyers, Xavier Musketeers, and Cincinnati Bearcats on his non-conference schedule. Holtmann fielded a question from a fan about scheduling those three programs on Tuesday night during an event with season-ticket holders at the Schottenstein Center.

“We’ve engaged in some of those conversations,” Holtmann said. “I’ve talked to (Athletic Director) Gene Smith about it. By no means am I sitting back here saying we’re not going to play one of those programs because those are quality programs you mentioned. Part of our job is to provide a game that’s exciting for our fans. We’re working on some things. It’s probably, in terms of a final decision, a ways off, but I’m certainly open to it.”

Ohio State has not played Dayton in the regular season since December 1988. The teams played a four-game series between 1985 and 1988 with two games at St. John Arena and two games at UD Arena. The teams split the four games. The Flyers beat the Buckeyes in the first round of the NCAA tournament in 2014.

Ohio State last played Xavier in the regular season in 1935. The teams played in the NIT in 1984 and the NCAA tournament in 2007.

Ohio State played Cincinnati in the regular season in December 2006 in Indianapolis, and the teams played in the NCAA tournament in 2012.

Congratulations to the Philly schools for putting the fans’ interests first, but I don’t see the four Ohio schools doing the same, as both Gene Smith and Xavier would quite likely oppose such an arrangement.

The following post is not appropriate content for the main board, so I'm posting it as a new thread on the Off Topic board.

History of the Former Dayton-Xavier Rivalry
• 1907 to 1937: The Beginnings of the 106-Year Dayton-Xavier Rivalry
• 1938 to 1949: Basketball Emerges at Catholic Schools
• The 1950's: Dayton Is Top Catholic Basketball School
• The 1960's: Dayton Is Top Catholic Basketball School ... Again
• The 1970's and 1980's: Dayton and Xavier Go in Opposite Directions
• The 1990's: Xavier Re-emerges on the National Scene
• 2000-2009: Xavier Basketball Moves Up the Charts
• The 2012-13 Season: Xavier's Last in the Atlantic 10 Conference
• November 2013 to April 2017: The Current Big East's First Four Seasons
• Dayton-Xavier Series Summary

This very lengthy post is extensively referenced, objective, and balanced. It is intended to convey verifiable factual information to those interested, and does not contain any mention of unpleasantries between the fans or coaches of the two schools. The post does contain a significant amount of information about other Big East schools. Please confine any posts about the Former Dayton-Xavier Rivalry to this off-topic thread, where they belong.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:12 am

Xudash wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:http://www.philadelphiabig5.org/history/index.html

Not trying to trump anyone (excuse the pun) and proclaiming the Phila Big 5 "the Yugest college BB tradition" in the country but for college hoops purists it's pretty special (or at least was at one time). Started in 1954. 5 schools (VU, Temple, Penn, St. Joe's, LaSalle) within 10 miles of each other; each with a very rich BB tradition. Everyone played everyone. Tom Gola, Chris Ford, Jameer Nelson, Paul Arizin, Bill Rafftery, Kerry Kittles, Kyle Lowry, Lionel Simmons, Ed Pinkney, Mark Macon, Tim Legler, Aaron McKee, and some of the all-time great coaches: Chuck Daly, Dr. Jack Ramsay, John Cheney, Matt Goukas, Jimmy Lynam, Rollie Massimino. It was played for years exclusively at the Palestra, which like Hinkle is a must see for any college hoops fanatic. They used to have Saturday doubleheaders with each of the 4 schools getting 1/4 of the building. Just absolute crazy / electric atmospheres. Streamers raining down after the first made basket; rollout banners usually ripping your rivals; the stupid Hawk mascot flapping his wings for the entire game . My father was a Nova grad and used to take me down for the Saturday doubleheaders. It's where I fell in love with college hoops and Villanova basketball. It was magical.

Anything that fosters local rivalries and creates a tradition for the next generation of hoops fans, is a good thing. Ohio needs to make this happen. They should go the way of the Big 5 where everyone plays everyone, every year. Why not? That would be a lot fun.

You trumpmeister!

Anyone who appreciates college basketball should be fully aware of the Big Five.

However, as you noted, and this is the ultimate compliment to Villanova, it will be hard-pressed to ever achieve its former glory, simply because of the amount of separation Villanova has created between itself and the other schools.

St. Joe's made a terrible capital improvements decision with Hagan. LaSalle isn't even worth talking about; it's a poor man's version of itself. Who knows where Temple is headed at this point.

Putting together the Ohio tournament would be very interesting, even if it meant holding it in Columbus every year.

I'd play it in the Cavs arena in Cleveland
NJRedman

Postby pki1998 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:34 am

First tons of respect for Philly for the Big 5 games. I definitely have catching a game on my bucket list! Also the crossroads classic is pretty cool

I don't think OSU will schedule the other good Ohio schools. They think they are better than everyone, facts don't matter. What i would like to see is a return of the Mythical Miami Valley conference. It was awesome when Xavier, Cincinnati, Miami (OH) and Dayton all played each other every year. Huggins area UC was the first to start dropping these games from the schedule, Xavier has continued the trend. The biggest X game every year isn't a Big East game it's the Crosstown Shootout against Cincinnati. I love talking trash to my UC friends, that is what local games get you. I want X to put Dayton back on the schedule so i can talk trash to my brother (UD alumn), my coworkers and maybe Fieldhouse Flyer and Flyer Fanatic. Some of my favorite games were against Miami back in the Wally and Devon Davis days. If we want OSU to play local teams maybe we should set an example for them!
Xavier
pki1998

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:49 pm

On September 7th pki1998 wrote:
I don't think OSU will schedule the other good Ohio schools. They think they are better than everyone, facts don't matter.

What i would like to see is a return of the Mythical Miami Valley conference. It was awesome when Xavier, Cincinnati, Miami (OH) and Dayton all played each other every year. Huggins area UC was the first to start dropping these games from the schedule, Xavier has continued the trend. The biggest X game every year isn't a Big East game it's the Crosstown Shootout against Cincinnati. I love talking trash to my UC friends, that is what local games get you. I want X to put Dayton back on the schedule so i can talk trash to my brother (UD alumn), my coworkers and maybe Fieldhouse Flyer and Flyer Fanatic. Some of my favorite games were against Miami back in the Wally and Devon Davis days. If we want OSU to play local teams maybe we should set an example for them!

College Basketball Today - Andy Katz - NCAA.com - December 19, 2017 10:48 EST
What you need to know for Tuesday, December 19th:

Ohio State coach Chris Holtmann loved playing in the Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis when he coached at Butler. The event with Butler, Purdue, Indiana and Notre Dame has been a major hit for the downtown and the four big-time Indiana schools. Purdue and Indiana don’t play each other since they are both in the Big Ten, so they rotate playing Butler and Notre Dame every season.

Holtmann is trying to convince Xavier, Cincinnati, and Dayton to do the same in Columbus at Nationwide Arena, starting in 2020 after Ohio State and Cincinnati finish their home-and-home series that will start in November of 2018 at Cincinnati’s refurbished on-campus arena. That game will be either the Tuesday or Wednesday when teams can play in 2018 (assuming the start date is moved off Friday, Nov. 16 to Nov. 13, 2018).

The Buckeyes will get the Bearcats at home to open the 2019 season. Holtmann said Dayton is in for certain for this potential event. Xavier coach Chris Mack told NCAA.com he would do it. Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin told NCAA.com he isn’t closed to the idea, either. He did say, though, “I want the Ohio State series to grow like UK vs. Louisville. I think it will have national appeal. It could be huge for both of us. Hopefully we will both have great teams and I’m confident Chris will win.’’

If Xavier is in, I can’t see how Cincinnati wouldn’t be in, either. This would be a tremendous deal for Ohio basketball and Columbus if this could happen in 2020 and beyond.

................................. Merry Christmas Big East Fans ................................
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Jet915 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
On September 7th pki1998 wrote:
I don't think OSU will schedule the other good Ohio schools. They think they are better than everyone, facts don't matter.

What i would like to see is a return of the Mythical Miami Valley conference. It was awesome when Xavier, Cincinnati, Miami (OH) and Dayton all played each other every year. Huggins area UC was the first to start dropping these games from the schedule, Xavier has continued the trend. The biggest X game every year isn't a Big East game it's the Crosstown Shootout against Cincinnati. I love talking trash to my UC friends, that is what local games get you. I want X to put Dayton back on the schedule so i can talk trash to my brother (UD alumn), my coworkers and maybe Fieldhouse Flyer and Flyer Fanatic. Some of my favorite games were against Miami back in the Wally and Devon Davis days. If we want OSU to play local teams maybe we should set an example for them!

College Basketball Today - Andy Katz - NCAA.com - December 19, 2017 10:48 EST
What you need to know for Tuesday, December 19th:

Ohio State coach Chris Holtmann loved playing in the Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis when he coached at Butler. The event with Butler, Purdue, Indiana and Notre Dame has been a major hit for the downtown and the four big-time Indiana schools. Purdue and Indiana don’t play each other since they are both in the Big Ten, so they rotate playing Butler and Notre Dame every season.

Holtmann is trying to convince Xavier, Cincinnati, and Dayton to do the same in Columbus at Nationwide Arena, starting in 2020 after Ohio State and Cincinnati finish their home-and-home series that will start in November of 2018 at Cincinnati’s refurbished on-campus arena. That game will be either the Tuesday or Wednesday when teams can play in 2018 (assuming the start date is moved off Friday, Nov. 16 to Nov. 13, 2018).

The Buckeyes will get the Bearcats at home to open the 2019 season. Holtmann said Dayton is in for certain for this potential event. Xavier coach Chris Mack told NCAA.com he would do it. Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin told NCAA.com he isn’t closed to the idea, either. He did say, though, “I want the Ohio State series to grow like UK vs. Louisville. I think it will have national appeal. It could be huge for both of us. Hopefully we will both have great teams and I’m confident Chris will win.’’

If Xavier is in, I can’t see how Cincinnati wouldn’t be in, either. This would be a tremendous deal for Ohio basketball and Columbus if this could happen in 2020 and beyond.

................................. Merry Christmas Big East Fans ................................

Sounds great but why Columbus? How about a more neutral site like Cleveland?
Jet915

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board