Ohio State at Xavier For Closed Srcimmage

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Xudash » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:10 pm

And in other news:
https://twitter.com/slrussell/status/905148221995012096

It would be great if at some point Ohio State and Xavier go at it in the Gavin Games. Ohio State playing an in-state game has always been a long shot, at least when it comes to Xavier and UC, in particular, but it would be interesting.

Perhaps the coaching change in Columbus could spur such a contest towards fruition.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ohio State at Xavier For Closed Srcimmage

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:36 pm

I'd add UD to that list. Having beat Ohio State not too long ago in the NCAAT and not having a strong conference affiliation like the BE I like X's chance to a home and home against OSU. What I'd really like to see is an Ohio preseason OOC slate involving X, UC, UD, OSU. All within a 100 miles. Would be fun and none would be rpi killers. But I know I'm dreaming.
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby milksteak » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:50 am

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:I'd add UD to that list. Having beat Ohio State not too long ago in the NCAAT and not having a strong conference affiliation like the BE I like X's chance to a home and home against OSU. What I'd really like to see is an Ohio preseason OOC slate involving X, UC, UD, OSU. All within a 100 miles. Would be fun and none would be rpi killers. But I know I'm dreaming.

The fans want it, and it makes too much sense.

So it will never happen.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Xudash » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:44 am

milksteak wrote:
UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:I'd add UD to that list. Having beat Ohio State not too long ago in the NCAAT and not having a strong conference affiliation like the BE I like X's chance to a home and home against OSU. What I'd really like to see is an Ohio preseason OOC slate involving X, UC, UD, OSU. All within a 100 miles. Would be fun and none would be rpi killers. But I know I'm dreaming.

So it will never happen.

Yes. You guys in Indiana figured it out rather nicely.

There are two major obstacles to putting it together in Ohio:

1. The Crosstown Shootout between Xavier and UC, which isn't going anywhere; and
2. The sheer enormity of Ohio State vis-a-vis the other players in the mix.

With respect to the latter, you have it much better in Indiana insofar as IU, PU and ND were already peer-oriented and Butler is now there with its ascension, and definitely through its affiliation with the Big East. Contrast that with Ohio, where you have the juggernaut, UC and two private schools, with one of them stuck in the A10.

There are ways to do a workaround to protect the Crosstown Shootout. There is nothing that can be done from outside of Columbus about Ohio State's disposition.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby NJRedman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:55 am

Xudash wrote:
milksteak wrote:

So it will never happen.

1. The Crosstown Shootout between Xavier and UC, which isn't going anywhere; and

With respect to the latter, you have it much better in Indiana insofar as IU, PU and ND were already peer-oriented and Butler is now there with its ascension, and definitely through its affiliation with the Big East. Contrast that with Ohio, where you have the juggernaut, UC and two private schools, with one of them stuck in the A10.

There are ways to do a workaround to protect the Crosstown Shootout. There is nothing that can be done from outside of Columbus about Ohio State's disposition.

You do it like Indiana does it where Indiana and Purdue never play each other but plays one of Butler or ND.

OSU vs X and UC vs UD. Then the next year OSU vs UC and X vs UD. Rinse and repeat. Sucks for UD to never get to play OSU but hey, thems the breaks.
NJRedman

Postby XtoDC » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:02 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Xudash wrote:
milksteak wrote:The fans want it, and it makes too much sense.

So it will never happen.

You do it like Indiana does it where Indiana and Purdue never play each other but plays one of Butler or ND.

OSU vs X and UC vs UD. Then the next year OSU vs UC and X vs UD. Rinse and repeat. Sucks for UD to never get to play OSU but hey, thems the breaks.

I'm sure if Dayton was offered even without the opportunity to match up with Ohio State the red sweater vests would have already bought up their allotment of tickets before the question was over.

I would personally love to do it. I think it would be a great day of basketball and just be fun. I think rivalries are fun, and college sports should be fun. My guess is that over half of Xavier fans would hate it though just because Xavier would have to play Dayton every other year, like that is some horrible thing.
XtoDC

Postby sciencejay » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:27 pm

We have a similar situation here in NE. UN-Omaha is now D1, so they've been trying to set up a game with CU and NU. Neither CU nor NU has been willing to take the bait. I know it's an RPI killer, but I'd much rather play that game than Miss Valley St or some other team looking for a paycheck.

I like these events because they are great for the fans. The emotion in the arena is far greater than for typical non-con games that are just money games. The coaches and players try to act like 'it's just another game', but they feel the heat as well. With only 3 D1 teams in NE, we couldn't do it like you do in IN or they do it in IA with UI, ISU, Drake and UNI and are discussing for OH. But I'd like to see it.
sciencejay

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:26 pm

http://www.philadelphiabig5.org/history/index.html

Not trying to trump anyone (excuse the pun) and proclaiming the Phila Big 5 "the Yugest college BB tradition" in the country but for college hoops purists it's pretty special (or at least was at one time). Started in 1954. 5 schools (VU, Temple, Penn, St. Joe's, LaSalle) within 10 miles of each other; each with a very rich BB tradition. Everyone played everyone. Tom Gola, Chris Ford, Jameer Nelson, Paul Arizin, Bill Rafftery, Kerry Kittles, Kyle Lowry, Lionel Simmons, Ed Pinkney, Mark Macon, Tim Legler, Aaron McKee, and some of the all-time great coaches: Chuck Daly, Dr. Jack Ramsay, John Cheney, Matt Goukas, Jimmy Lynam, Rollie Massimino. It was played for years exclusively at the Palestra, which like Hinkle is a must see for any college hoops fanatic. They used to have Saturday doubleheaders with each of the 4 schools getting 1/4 of the building. Just absolute crazy / electric atmospheres. Streamers raining down after the first made basket; rollout banners usually ripping your rivals; the stupid Hawk mascot flapping his wings for the entire game . My father was a Nova grad and used to take me down for the Saturday doubleheaders. It's where I fell in love with college hoops and Villanova basketball. It was magical.

Anything that fosters local rivalries and creates a tradition for the next generation of hoops fans, is a good thing. Ohio needs to make this happen. They should go the way of the Big 5 where everyone plays everyone, every year. Why not? That would be a lot fun.

Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Xudash » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:25 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:http://www.philadelphiabig5.org/history/index.html

Not trying to trump anyone (excuse the pun) and proclaiming the Phila Big 5 "the Yugest college BB tradition" in the country but for college hoops purists it's pretty special (or at least was at one time). Started in 1954. 5 schools (VU, Temple, Penn, St. Joe's, LaSalle) within 10 miles of each other; each with a very rich BB tradition. Everyone played everyone. Tom Gola, Chris Ford, Jameer Nelson, Paul Arizin, Bill Rafftery, Kerry Kittles, Kyle Lowry, Lionel Simmons, Ed Pinkney, Mark Macon, Tim Legler, Aaron McKee, and some of the all-time great coaches: Chuck Daly, Dr. Jack Ramsay, John Cheney, Matt Goukas, Jimmy Lynam, Rollie Massimino. It was played for years exclusively at the Palestra, which like Hinkle is a must see for any college hoops fanatic. They used to have Saturday doubleheaders with each of the 4 schools getting 1/4 of the building. Just absolute crazy / electric atmospheres. Streamers raining down after the first made basket; rollout banners usually ripping your rivals; the stupid Hawk mascot flapping his wings for the entire game . My father was a Nova grad and used to take me down for the Saturday doubleheaders. It's where I fell in love with college hoops and Villanova basketball. It was magical.

Anything that fosters local rivalries and creates a tradition for the next generation of hoops fans, is a good thing. Ohio needs to make this happen. They should go the way of the Big 5 where everyone plays everyone, every year. Why not? That would be a lot fun.

You trumpmeister!

Anyone who appreciates college basketball should be fully aware of the Big Five.

However, as you noted, and this is the ultimate compliment to Villanova, it will be hard-pressed to ever achieve its former glory, simply because of the amount of separation Villanova has created between itself and the other schools.

St. Joe's made a terrible capital improvements decision with Hagan. LaSalle isn't even worth talking about; it's a poor man's version of itself. Who knows where Temple is headed at this point.

Putting together the Ohio tournament would be very interesting, even if it meant holding it in Columbus every year.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:09 pm

Yes my X friends, the sweater vests at UD would buy these tickets before they hit the market. I guarantee we'd travel to Cincy or Columbus. I don't condone hatred or disrespect to X fans, but I do hate X as an instituion as any UD fan does (it's just fun to do) and would love to resume the rivalry every 2 years. I think it would raise the fever of BB across central and SE OH to where we deserve it to be as passionate fans (X, C, OSU, UD) of the game. Us Ohioans would easily match the passion of the excellent Philly series, and tobacco road. SW Ohio is a BB hotbed but we never have been able to fully leverage it. Maybe just too close and those at the top of the pile jealously guard their advantage...
UD Flyer Fanatic

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board