St. John's Top Recruit Transferring

The home for Big East hoops

Re: St. John's Top Recruit Transferring

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:09 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Friarsfan94 wrote:I can't figure out a way to articulate what I'm trying to say regarding St. John's recruiting, but to me it just seems like they're all in for the high risk, low character, but highly rated guys moreso than not. I don't know specifics, but every single Sid Wilson thread on any site, be it this one, St. John's forum, Uconn forum etc., had at least a 5 post conversation of all the red flags. Marcus Lovett ineligible. Jakarr Sampson red flags galore. Obekpa more red flags. Transfers in and out. I don't know what it is but it just feels like St. John's is trying to fast-track it to success and it just hasn't worked for 10 years now.

What red flags and how is Wilson a low character kid? Because he transferred? You Friars go on and on about your greatest years with the guy who hit his teammate with a tire iron and transferring is low character? Academic ineligibility isn't a low character thing. We would have sucked with or without Lovett Mullins first year. Now we potentially have him for an extra year if he stays all four years. Oh and non one who recruited Obekpa and Sampson (what red flags there) are even with the program anymore. Anything else you want to pull out of your butt?

Totally disagree. Maybe in rare exceptions other factors affect a kid having issues academically but academics are 90% dedication. Being in trouble academically when they are asked to do the bare minimum already is absolutely a character flaw. If your kid comes home with F's you mean to tell me it's not their fault? There is also no disputing the fact that our program has had more low character recruits and more instability/drama involving coaches than any other team in conference. Also we cannot count on Ponds or LoVett being here beyond next year so we need to pickup steam and fast with both recruiting and winning.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:31 am

MullinMayhem wrote:
NJRedman wrote:What red flags and how is Wilson a low character kid? Because he transferred? You Friars go on and on about your greatest years with the guy who hit his teammate with a tire iron and transferring is low character? Academic ineligibility isn't a low character thing. We would have sucked with or without Lovett Mullins first year. Now we potentially have him for an extra year if he stays all four years. Oh and non one who recruited Obekpa and Sampson (what red flags there) are even with the program anymore. Anything else you want to pull out of your butt?

Totally disagree. Maybe in rare exceptions other factors affect a kid having issues academically but academics are 90% dedication. Being in trouble academically when they are asked to do the bare minimum already is absolutely a character flaw. If your kid comes home with F's you mean to tell me it's not their fault? There is also no disputing the fact that our program has had more low character recruits and more instability/drama involving coaches than any other team in conference. Also we cannot count on Ponds or LoVett being here beyond next year so we need to pickup steam and fast with both recruiting and winning.

NJ never said, it wasn't the fault of a player when they make poor grades. He said, it doesn't mean that player or person has low character. It also doesn't mean it's a character flaw, if someone has low grades. There could be a multitude of reasons for low grades. One of them could be a learning disability. But, it doesn't have anything to do with a character flaw.

So, does a smart, intelligent person doesn't or can't display character flaws? Or, is that limited to the unintelligent? I'm just wondering and asking questions here, Mr. Black & White. Frankly, I think you have a character flaw, but I won't get into that at the moment. You also like to typically project your personality on others.

St. John's have had quite a bit of instability, drama, and a handful of kids with issues here and there, but I wouldn't call any of those players low characters outside of Rysheed Jordan (that has more to do what he did recently, more so than what he did while at St. John's).

A person or player of low character is similar to guy like former NFL player, Greg Hardy. That's just one example, but I could give others. I view detestableness, arrogance, liars, unbalanced, etc. to be character flaws. I haven't spent time around any of the St. John's players, so I don't know how they interact in their every day life. But, based on what I've seen, per television or being at a game, and things I've heard, then I'm can't say they have low character.

You obviously don't know the true meaning of the word, so please stop using it.
Red Rooster

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Something seemed off about the Sid Wilson to St Johns deal from the start.
St Johns was very late in getting on him... as in a couple of months. Some of the other schools were on him from as far back as the 7th grade.
Recruiting is about relationships. So is retention.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Notice I said there are exceptions. Assuming players are not disabled, it's up to the student to perform. Some students are naturally gifted and never have to study. Others are not and must study for hours to get similar grades. These kids get personal advisors to help them manage the student-athlete balance and the bar is already obviously lower for athletes when compared to an avg student. When kids like Jakarr or whoever have academic issues it's absolutely a character flaw. I'm speaking in general not specifically on Sid. I can't imagine giving excuses for kids who are too often simply lazy and unmotivated regarding academics. There's not always an excuse, sometimes kids just don't put effort in.
MullinMayhem

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:44 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:Something seemed off about the Sid Wilson to St Johns deal from the start.
St Johns was very late in getting on him... as in a couple of months. Some of the other schools were on him from as far back as the 7th grade.

Please, be quiet. St. John's had been recruiting Wilson for awhile, but not too vigorously until he had decided to reclassify to the 2017 class. What schools were on him dating back when he was in the 7th grade? Name those schools.

MullinMayhem wrote:Notice I said there are exceptions. Assuming players are not disabled, it's up to the student to perform. Some students are naturally gifted and never have to study. Others are not and must study for hours to get similar grades. These kids get personal advisors to help them manage the student-athlete balance and the bar is already obviously lower for athletes when compared to an avg student. When kids like Jakarr or whoever have academic issues it's absolutely a character flaw. I'm speaking in general not specifically on Sid. I can't imagine giving excuses for kids who are too often simply lazy and unmotivated regarding academics. There's not always an excuse, sometimes kids just don't put effort in.

It is up to the student to perform, but it doesn't have anything to do with a character flaw, if a player or person fail to make the grade. I'm almost positive you don't know anything about JaKarr Sampson, other than he played college ball for St. John's. So, tell me why Sampson or others who fail to make the grade has a character flaw? I don't consider being lazy or unmotivated to be a character flaw. Those things can be broken, unlike a character flaw. Once again, learn the meaning of the word. Basically, you have a ton to learn. But, your personality comes off as someone who knows a lot. Or, thinks he knows a lot. Yeah, right.

What's the reason(s) for your character flaw(s) since it isn't related to academics?
Red Rooster

Postby FriarJ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:13 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:The article says the team will only have 9 scholarship players this year. As an MU fan, I cannot stress how much have a smaller (in numbers) team affected the season. There was one year we only eight kids dressed to play, and I seem to remember Carlino suffered a concussion in that game.

Seems like the young man needs to get away in order live his life. Good luck to him. In hindsight, it would have probably been beneficial for him and his family to not reclassify and come out when he was supposed to. Now, he will need to sit out for a full season, and start his playing career when he was originally supposed to in the correct class.

PC won the 2014 BE Title with 6 players.
FriarJ

Postby FriarJ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
Friarsfan94 wrote:I can't figure out a way to articulate what I'm trying to say regarding St. John's recruiting, but to me it just seems like they're all in for the high risk, low character, but highly rated guys moreso than not. I don't know specifics, but every single Sid Wilson thread on any site, be it this one, St. John's forum, Uconn forum etc., had at least a 5 post conversation of all the red flags. Marcus Lovett ineligible. Jakarr Sampson red flags galore. Obekpa more red flags. Transfers in and out. I don't know what it is but it just feels like St. John's is trying to fast-track it to success and it just hasn't worked for 10 years now.

Friarfan, don't get too big for your britches. I don't know why you and a handful of other Friar fans are so, concerned about St. John's. Well, I do know, but no need to delve into that right now. By the way, Cooley feverishly recruited both Sampson and Obekpa. So, what does that say about Cooley's eye of ignoring what you call "red flags?" The only "red flag" with Sampson was grades. It didn't have anything to with his attitude. As, far as Obekpa, he was a bit temperamental. But, every kid is different, and if you remove a kid from his homeland to bring him to the states at the age of 15 for the sole purpose to play basketball, then there's a chance you could also have an issue or two. Obekpa wasn't a bad kid, either. He could be a bit moody and he got caught smoking weed.

Marcus LoVett was being recruited by many, high-major schools (Kansas being one of those schools). Kansas can afford to be choosy in who they decide to bring in. Lovett's only issues were grades. Again, he's not a bad kid, either. He's also a tad bit older than his class, so he attempted to make the jump to play pro ball after last season (even, if it meant he'd play abroad).

There isn't anything wrong with taking a chance on some kids. Especially, kids who hasn't been in any trouble, but who may need to brush up on their grades or perhaps even a bit of coddling and tough love. Maybe, the staff didn't do their due diligence with Wilson and it blew up in their face. It doesn't look good, but you have no choice but to move on.

Besides, St. John's is just one NCAA Tournament win from matching the amount of tournament wins as the Friars since Cooley has taken the helm.
I agree
FriarJ

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Red Rooster wrote:Please, be quiet. St. John's had been recruiting Wilson for awhile, but not too vigorously until he had decided to reclassify to the 2017 class. What schools were on him dating back when he was in the 7th grade? Name those schools.

I'd give you the school(s) and coach(es) right now but the mods are censoring me.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:Something seemed off about the Sid Wilson to St Johns deal from the start.

Please, be quiet. St. John's had been recruiting Wilson for awhile, but not too vigorously until he had decided to reclassify to the 2017 class. What schools were on him dating back when he was in the 7th grade? Name those schools.

MullinMayhem wrote:Notice I said there are exceptions. Assuming players are not disabled, it's up to the student to perform. Some students are naturally gifted and never have to study. Others are not and must study for hours to get similar grades. These kids get personal advisors to help them manage the student-athlete balance and the bar is already obviously lower for athletes when compared to an avg student. When kids like Jakarr or whoever have academic issues it's absolutely a character flaw. I'm speaking in general not specifically on Sid. I can't imagine giving excuses for kids who are too often simply lazy and unmotivated regarding academics. There's not always an excuse, sometimes kids just don't put effort in.

It is up to the student to perform, but it doesn't have anything to do with a character flaw, if a player or person fail to make the grade. I'm almost positive you don't know anything about JaKarr Sampson, other than he played college ball for St. John's. So, tell me why Sampson or others who fail to make the grade has a character flaw? I don't consider being lazy or unmotivated to be a character flaw. Those things can be broken, unlike a character flaw. Once again, learn the meaning of the word. Basically, you have a ton to learn. But, your personality comes off as someone who knows a lot. Or, thinks he knows a lot. Yeah, right.

What's the reason(s) for your character flaw(s) since it isn't related to academics?

Who says a character flaw is permanent? D'Lo had a character flaw of anger until he got it addressed and thankfully resolved. If the kids are capable to begin with, they can succeed with proper motivation. I'd say being lazy is a character flaw too. Some people go out and do and others spend their lives taking shortcuts. Bottom line is that we have very clearly been having serious issues with many but not all recruits. A few got arrested (Brown, Jordan who's in prison as I type), Obekpa potentially cost us our 1st NCAA win in almost 2 decades caught with pot, D'Lo turned out great but I believe he potentially cost us a tourney berth after his outbursts led to a suspension with the season on the line, Pelle never qualified, Thomas was complicit in fraud with transcripts, Sampson wasn't eligible, now add Wilson to the turmoil along with Slice's debacle and I'm sure I'm forgetting others. These all took place within what the last 5 yrs? I'm a DIEHARD SJ fan but christ, if you don't think this stuff happens to us more than any other conference programs, you're just delusional. You can be a fan and be honest. We have had real issues regarding stability and low character kids in the past 5 yrs or so. I probably forgot 5 other debacles involving players ineligible, in trouble, bad attitudes, and other turmoil.
MullinMayhem

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:11 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

Who says a character flaw is permanent? D'Lo had a character flaw of anger until he got it addressed and thankfully resolved. If the kids are capable to begin with, they can succeed with proper motivation. I'd say being lazy is a character flaw too. Some people go out and do and others spend their lives taking shortcuts. Bottom line is that we have very clearly been having serious issues with many but not all recruits. A few got arrested (Brown, Jordan who's in prison as I type), Obekpa potentially cost us our 1st NCAA win in almost 2 decades caught with pot, D'Lo turned out great but I believe he potentially cost us a tourney berth after his outbursts led to a suspension with the season on the line, Pelle never qualified, Thomas was complicit in fraud with transcripts, Sampson wasn't eligible, now add Wilson to the turmoil along with Slice's debacle and I'm sure I'm forgetting others. These all took place within what the last 5 yrs? I'm a DIEHARD SJ fan but christ, if you don't think this stuff happens to us more than any other conference programs, you're just delusional. You can be a fan and be honest. We have had real issues regarding stability and low character kids in the past 5 yrs or so. I probably forgot 5 other debacles involving players ineligible, in trouble, bad attitudes, and other turmoil.

What are your character flaws (you have your share)? A question you continue to avoid.

I'll end this (from my side) by saying you're not too bright in the wordly sense (which has been proven over and over again), you lack perspective, seem unbalanced, and has no idea about a gray area (it's all black and white in your eyes), and constantly deal in fallacies.

This has been proven time and again over the years, and I'm positive most posters, who are familiar with your ranting, would acknowledge such.
Red Rooster

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board