St. John's Top Recruit Transferring

The home for Big East hoops

Re: St. John's Top Recruit Transferring

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:08 pm

Friarsfan94 wrote:I can't figure out a way to articulate what I'm trying to say regarding St. John's recruiting, but to me it just seems like they're all in for the high risk, low character, but highly rated guys moreso than not. I don't know specifics, but every single Sid Wilson thread on any site, be it this one, St. John's forum, Uconn forum etc., had at least a 5 post conversation of all the red flags. Marcus Lovett ineligible. Jakarr Sampson red flags galore. Obekpa more red flags. Transfers in and out. I don't know what it is but it just feels like St. John's is trying to fast-track it to success and it just hasn't worked for 10 years now.

Friarfan, don't get too big for your britches. I don't know why you and a handful of other Friar fans are so, concerned about St. John's. Well, I do know, but no need to delve into that right now. By the way, Cooley feverishly recruited both Sampson and Obekpa. So, what does that say about Cooley's eye of ignoring what you call "red flags?" The only "red flag" with Sampson was grades. It didn't have anything to with his attitude. As, far as Obekpa, he was a bit temperamental. But, every kid is different, and if you remove a kid from his homeland to bring him to the states at the age of 15 for the sole purpose to play basketball, then there's a chance you could also have an issue or two. Obekpa wasn't a bad kid, either. He could be a bit moody and he got caught smoking weed.

Marcus LoVett was being recruited by many, high-major schools (Kansas being one of those schools). Kansas can afford to be choosy in who they decide to bring in. Lovett's only issues were grades. Again, he's not a bad kid, either. He's also a tad bit older than his class, so he attempted to make the jump to play pro ball after last season (even, if it meant he'd play abroad).

There isn't anything wrong with taking a chance on some kids. Especially, kids who hasn't been in any trouble, but who may need to brush up on their grades or perhaps even a bit of coddling and tough love. Maybe, the staff didn't do their due diligence with Wilson and it blew up in their face. It doesn't look good, but you have no choice but to move on.

Besides, St. John's is just one NCAA Tournament win from matching the amount of tournament wins as the Friars since Cooley has taken the helm.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:20 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
Edrick wrote:It is obviously bad for St Johns, but the lack of depth pushes St Johns closer to DePaul and Georgetown this season (gap).

The Big East needs a lot of losses in the bottom 30% to continue getting the top 70% bids.

I think Ewing with put some separation between Georgetown and St Johns/DePaul.
Leitao is outrecruiting Mullin.

Did the mods let you out of exile, troll?

Leitao is also outrecruiting Ewing. Besides, Leitao hired a high school coach of La Lumiere, which I'm sure you're aware, dolt. Many times, new coaches can catch the eye of recruits and may even land a couple of top 50 kids or better upon their arrival. Ewing and his staff has casted a wide net, but most of those recruits are of the top 100 variety (or lower), and he's still being eliminated like cockroaches to a can of Raid.

I doubt you're even a Georgetown fan, and if so, you're probably a rather casual fan. I also doubt we'll hear much from you during the college basketball season.
Red Rooster

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Edrick wrote:It is obviously bad for St Johns, but the lack of depth pushes St Johns closer to DePaul and Georgetown this season (gap).

The Big East needs a lot of losses in the bottom 30% to continue getting the top 70% bids.

Depth-wise, but not talent wise. St. John's talent is still better than both of those schools without Wilson.
Red Rooster

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:26 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:High IQ good character kids are more likely to be committed rather than using us as a means to only get an NBA check.

So, every kid who immediately bolts to the NBA isn't a "high IQ good character kid?" That's essentially what you're saying here. Stop painting things with a broad brush (which, is typical of you).
Red Rooster

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Combine this with Zach Brown, and that's 2 big talents SJU was expecting to have this year but lost before they got started. Certainly a bit of a bad luck there, but they were both risks. I'm sure the SJU staff knew this was a possibility. They should be alright.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Combine this with Zach Brown, and that's 2 big talents SJU was expecting to have this year but lost before they got started. Certainly a bit of a bad luck there, but they were both risks. I'm sure the SJU staff knew this was a possibility.

The issue I had with Zach Brown was if he didn't work out (which, he didn't), it would cost us with Hasahn French. Brown, being the more highly-rated talent and also a true center, did come with the risks. French is a rugged and tireless worker and a tough, blue-collar and likely, four-year player that you love to have on your team. We fudged that one up when you look at it.

They should be alright.

I think so, but I'd like to add one more body if that's even possible just for depth-purposes.
Red Rooster

Postby NJRedman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Friarsfan94 wrote:I can't figure out a way to articulate what I'm trying to say regarding St. John's recruiting, but to me it just seems like they're all in for the high risk, low character, but highly rated guys moreso than not. I don't know specifics, but every single Sid Wilson thread on any site, be it this one, St. John's forum, Uconn forum etc., had at least a 5 post conversation of all the red flags. Marcus Lovett ineligible. Jakarr Sampson red flags galore. Obekpa more red flags. Transfers in and out. I don't know what it is but it just feels like St. John's is trying to fast-track it to success and it just hasn't worked for 10 years now.

What red flags and how is Wilson a low character kid? Because he transferred? You Friars go on and on about your greatest years with the guy who hit his teammate with a tire iron and transferring is low character? Academic ineligibility isn't a low character thing. We would have sucked with or without Lovett Mullins first year. Now we potentially have him for an extra year if he stays all four years. Oh and non one who recruited Obekpa and Sampson (what red flags there) are even with the program anymore. Anything else you want to pull out of your butt?
NJRedman

Postby milksteak » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:31 pm

I think NJRedman is bipolar.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby REDMEN1415 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Combine this with Zach Brown, and that's 2 big talents SJU was expecting to have this year but lost before they got started. Certainly a bit of a bad luck there, but they were both risks. I'm sure the SJU staff knew this was a possibility. They should be alright.

They knew Wilson was a risk, I read that's why they got Trimble, incase Wilson left.
REDMEN1415

Postby NJRedman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:45 pm

milksteak wrote:I think NJRedman is bipolar.

Oh yeah? And here my therapist thinks I just have an anxiety issue. How much do you charge an hour and what insurance do you accept?
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board