St. John's Top Recruit Transferring

The home for Big East hoops

Postby BigEast1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Already....http://nypost.com/2017/08/29/st-johns-s ... n-stunner/

At some point you have to wonder if there is something in the water over at the St. John's campus
BigEast1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: St. John's Top Recruit Transferring

Postby stever20 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:12 pm

reading the article I don't think it's got much to do with St John's at all. I think the kid needed his space and St John's was just too close for home.
stever20

Postby jfan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Ouch!!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby Friarsfan94 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:25 pm

I can't figure out a way to articulate what I'm trying to say regarding St. John's recruiting, but to me it just seems like they're all in for the high risk, low character, but highly rated guys moreso than not. I don't know specifics, but every single Sid Wilson thread on any site, be it this one, St. John's forum, Uconn forum etc., had at least a 5 post conversation of all the red flags. Marcus Lovett ineligible. Jakarr Sampson red flags galore. Obekpa more red flags. Transfers in and out. I don't know what it is but it just feels like St. John's is trying to fast-track it to success and it just hasn't worked for 10 years now.
Friarsfan94

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:49 pm

I know exactly what you mean. Even when he committed he never smiled. He looks miserable in general and I bet he has issues at UConn or Texas. Seems to bring negative energy so let him take it elsewhere. Back to what you said before, yes at SJ we do seem to recruit the low character, iffy academics type of players. Of course there are exceptions but look at Obekpa, Jordan, Brown, and as much as we love Harrison he had anger issues which he has since totally resolved. I then look at Nova players and just seeing their body language and hearing them talk they just seem dedicated and more high character. I think that's also why we never keep good players for 4 yrs anymore. High IQ good character kids are more likely to be committed rather than using us as a means to only get an NBA check. Then they find out they can't cut it in the NBA and either stay in D League or go overseas. We need to recruit character and not just athleticism. Sick of this BS.
MullinMayhem

Postby BigmanU » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:11 am

I guess the silver lining is Bryan Trimble Jr. looks good and the staff said he would have been taking minutes from him this year.
BigmanU

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:33 am

The article says the team will only have 9 scholarship players this year. As an MU fan, I cannot stress how much have a smaller (in numbers) team affected the season. There was one year we only eight kids dressed to play, and I seem to remember Carlino suffered a concussion in that game.

Seems like the young man needs to get away in order live his life. Good luck to him. In hindsight, it would have probably been beneficial for him and his family to not reclassify and come out when he was supposed to. Now, he will need to sit out for a full season, and start his playing career when he was originally supposed to in the correct class.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Edrick » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 am

It is obviously bad for St Johns, but the lack of depth pushes St Johns closer to DePaul and Georgetown this season (gap).

The Big East needs a lot of losses in the bottom 30% to continue getting the top 70% bids.
Edrick

Postby CrawfishBucket » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:49 am

Edrick wrote:It is obviously bad for St Johns, but the lack of depth pushes St Johns closer to DePaul and Georgetown this season (gap).

The Big East needs a lot of losses in the bottom 30% to continue getting the top 70% bids.

I think Ewing with put some separation between Georgetown and St Johns/DePaul.
Leitao is outrecruiting Mullin.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby redmen9194 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 am

The St. John's class this season will be fine without Wilson. They have enough to to well this year and certainly better than last season. Mullin has done a good job on the recruiting trial and is getting no grief in NY regarding recruiting or scheduling for that matter.
redmen9194

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board