College Sports Madness Top 144 teams

The home for Big East hoops

Re: College Sports Madness Top 144 teams

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:Leave it to Stever...

Wizard of Westroads

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby milksteak » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:55 am

X came in at #22.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:04 am

Seton Hall is in at #12

Only Nova's left to be seen and we know they'll be somewhere in the top 10.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby xusandy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:52 pm

The Hall at #12 is the highest ranking I've seen on any site so far -- good for them. So wherever Nova gets ranked here, the various preseason rankings all have Nova in the top 10, and almost all have X and the Hall in the top 20-25 -- 12th (Hall) and 14th ( X) as the best I've seen, down to the mid-twenties for both. Then of course Providence and Butler have both received top 25 rankings on a few lists, and Creighton and Marquette are in the top 50 on almost all sites that rank anyone below the top 25. St. John's is a sneaky pick to return to at least a modicum of glory (rankings from 45th to 60th mostly), while Georgetown and DePaul bring up the rear with not-too-shabby pre-season expectations ranging from top 90 to top 120. Of course, I'm not at all sure the pundits have it right, but it looks like this is gonna be another great, competitive season!
xusandy

Postby milksteak » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:09 am

These guys are up to #9, which happens to be Villanova.

#9 Villanova
#27 Xavier
#29 Marquette
#35 Butler
#55 Seton Hall
#62 Providence
#70 Georgetown
#115 St. John's

No DePaul or Creighton. Not a good list by them this year.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:03 pm

“The Athletic”, whom probably had the countries foremost basketball experts had Creighton #46 out of the country’s top 68 teams. Came out today.

It's not a power ranking, but a 1-68 ranking of the teams they believe will be dancing in March, not the 68 best teams per se -- every conference is required to have at least one team in the list, in other words.

https://theathletic.com/620116/2018/10/ ... ason-no-1/

There's no blurb on the Jays, they're just listed among the "last four in" with an at-large bid to the tourney. Given the doom and gloom in almost every other prediction, I'll take it! (Incidentally, they've got the Big East with five bids: Nova, St. John's, Marquette, Butler, and the Jays.)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:25 pm

NBC's preseason bracket...Xavier in - Butler out. 5 BE teams.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... rojection/
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby billyjack » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:30 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:“The Athletic”, whom probably had the countries foremost basketball experts had Creighton #46 out of the country’s top 68 teams. Came out today.

It's not a power ranking, but a 1-68 ranking of the teams they believe will be dancing in March, not the 68 best teams per se -- every conference is required to have at least one team in the list, in other words.

https://theathletic.com/620116/2018/10/ ... ason-no-1/

There's no blurb on the Jays, they're just listed among the "last four in" with an at-large bid to the tourney. Given the doom and gloom in almost every other prediction, I'll take it! (Incidentally, they've got the Big East with five bids: Nova, St. John's, Marquette, Butler, and the Jays.)

Creighton is underrated in general. Really, maybe all of our teams are undersold... i'm thinking Georgetown here too.

Creighton... they have a great group of returning players. Mintz, Alexander, Ballock, Krampelj, and Epperson. Joseph and Froling are 6 and 7. What more could you ask for? What's there not to like?
Providence
billyjack

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:52 pm

billyjack wrote:Creighton is underrated in general. Really, maybe all of our teams are undersold... i'm thinking Georgetown here too.

Creighton... they have a great group of returning players. Mintz, Alexander, Ballock, Krampelj, and Epperson. Joseph and Froling are 6 and 7. What more could you ask for? What's there not to like?

The only thing about Creighton that would concern me is they did lose a lot of athleticism on the wing. Thomas and Foster could really get up and down the floor and finish and compete with any other wings athletically. MK is coming off a serious injury and none of the their other guys jumped out as super athletic to me. But I'll defer to the Jays fans to confirm. Epperson is admittedly mobile for his size--a poor man's Justin Patton on the screen and rolls. But Mitch B. and co. are not quite the same as Kyrie and Marcus in terms of athleticism. The roster makeup looks more Creighton 2014-15; I wonder how that plays out this year.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby mel ott » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:03 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
billyjack wrote:Creighton is underrated in general. Really, maybe all of our teams are undersold... i'm thinking Georgetown here too.

The only thing about Creighton that would concern me is they did lose a lot of athleticism on the wing. Thomas and Foster could really get up and down the floor and finish and compete with any other wings athletically. MK is coming off a serious injury and none of the their other guys jumped out as super athletic to me. But I'll defer to the Jays fans to confirm. Epperson is admittedly mobile for his size--a poor man's Justin Patton on the screen and rolls. But Mitch B. and co. are not quite the same as Kyrie and Marcus in terms of athleticism. The roster makeup looks more Creighton 2014-15; I wonder how that plays out this year.

I think Creighton will surprise. Mac says this is his most athletic team he has had. They are young, a lot of new faces, and have to see how they jell. They like the team's personality and how they get along. We don't have the go to guy like Marcus for an instant bucket or the Khyri all stopper, but there is a lot more athleticism on the team. I believe our point guard position will surprise with Davion Mintz continuing to develop as he did at the end of last year and they also like our freshman Marcus Z. We have strong sophs that will take a step up and with a solid sr transfer from Rice and a transfer sit out last year we are getting deep! Will see how it blends together. Lastly, the freshman, Frohling 7' center from Australia is the real deal. It's going to be a fun year-young, but talented.
mel ott

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board