College Sports Madness Top 144 teams

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:20 pm

St John's checks in at #87. No other Big East teams yet.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/men ... 4-previews
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: College Sports Madness Top 144 teams

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:42 am

Projected 8th and CBI? Is this a projection from last year? That was last year's expectation. We have the best guards offensively in the conference and I don't think it's anywhere near certain that Marquette, Creighton, Butler, etc. will be better. I think PC is rated very highly but I don't see the star power there. I wouldn't be shocked to see them finish 5th. All it should take is much better defense and slightly above average coaching/development to get this team in the tourney. NIT is absolute bare minimum.
MullinMayhem

Postby milksteak » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:26 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Projected 8th and CBI? Is this a projection from last year? That was last year's expectation. We have the best guards offensively in the conference and I don't think it's anywhere near certain that Marquette, Creighton, Butler, etc. will be better. I think PC is rated very highly but I don't see the star power there. I wouldn't be shocked to see them finish 5th. All it should take is much better defense and slightly above average coaching/development to get this team in the tourney. NIT is absolute bare minimum.

You shouldn't be surprised that your team isn't getting respect nationally.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Friarsfan94 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:38 am

MullinMayhem, you can try to preach how you have the best guards in the conference/country until the cows come home. Obviously nobody in the country sees it the same way as you do, nor does anybody on this board. Stop getting hung up on recruiting rankings. If I have to see a post where you mention 5* Justin Simon one more time I will barf. 5* Justin Simon was no 5* or he wouldn't be transferring. He may be excellent, he may be terrible, but he clearly wasn't a typical 5* guy. I'll take 3* Kyron Cartwright, the second best point guard in the Big East, over Justin Simon.

Onto Providence, clearly your underlying tone in all of your posts regarding preseason rankings is that my guys stink lol. What the hell are you seeing? No star power? The team that finishes 3rd, with a top 3 coach in the conference, losing nobody, and adding a top 15 recruiting class does NOT take a step back in any league lol.
Friarsfan94

Postby BEhomer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:15 am

Providence brings back everybody from a team that went to NCAA. Personally I think they should be in top 25.
BEhomer

Postby FriarJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:16 pm

ST. John's is a very good offensive team but until they play defense like Cooley's teams they are not going anywhere. Play some defense then they are in the discussion for sure and I think they will, I like their talent. The no star power on PC after last year is just silly, this team jelled late in the year and this year the experience will shine through. You can take your rankings, and i will go with experience and proven success and we will go from there.
FriarJ

Postby Friarsfan94 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:57 pm

But if you wanna go by those rankings you love, we have a top 15 recruiting class this year to add on to that experience and bring some pieces that were missing.
Friarsfan94

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:I think PC is rated very highly but I don't see the star power there. I wouldn't be shocked to see them finish 5th.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Friars finish first. I would be shocked to see St. John's finish fifth.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby milksteak » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:03 am

Most non-SJU Big East fans probably have the Johhnies finishing in the bottom half. I think that is a testament to the strength of this league rather than taking a shot at the Johnnies.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby xusandy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:38 am

With the Johnnies at #87, and (surely?) the Blue Demons and Hoyas not in the top 144, we'll almost certainly see 7 more BEASTies previewed on this site in the coming weeks. #87 in the preseason could make the tourney with just a bit of over-achievement relative to expectations, but I want to see how many of our teams are top 50 caliber. I tend to focus on top 50 because those are the teams with serious and legit NCAA tourney aspirations/expectations as the season begins.

FWIW, I'll go with 1 more BEASTie ranked here over #50 (Marquette), and everyone else in the top 50. Actually, I think everyone else will be ranked by at least one knowledgeable source as a top 30 team, but we probably won't see any one set of pre-season rankings with 6 of our teams ranked that high. Whatever the pre-season rankings say, we are clearly continuing to improve as a league, season by season. Gonna be a great year for us BEAST fans. May you all go undefeated in your out-of-conference games!
xusandy

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board