Roughly 90 days til tipoff

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:57 am

Seems like a long way off, but it's about time to start talking some hoops here. I'll need to look back and see when we usually do the countdown from 10 to 1 votes and I'll get those started.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Roughly 90 days til tipoff

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:11 am

Only about 60 days until the midnight madness time though! IMO that's when you begin to taste the season. On a semi-unrelated note, St. John's did not make the top 5 cut last night from Nassir Little. We recruited him very hard and we were in a great spot not too long ago. He then blew up on the recruiting trail, Arizona, Duke, UNC, etc. all jumped in at the last second as they always do and it was a wrap. I don't know how Sean Miller does it but he might be among the very best recruiters I've seen in my lifetime. It seems he always gets multiple 5 star commitments every period and is always in the top 5 or top 3 for other 5 star kids. I'm assuming Duke/UNC will get him however. We are still in on many top notch recruits. I honestly believe this season will make or break the Mullin era. I know some may laugh at that but in the past, recruits have given our program the benefit of the doubt. They kept betting that the program would get back to being a regular in the top 25 and making tournaments most years. You can only be sold on hope and "rebuilding a sleeping giant" for so long. Eventually, the results need to be there in a real way and I believe the lack of results is what is keeping this program from landing 5 star kids like Little every so often. It would go such a long way if the team can dominate our OOC schedule and find a way to get in the top 25 and ultimately make the tournament. I truly think that if the team makes the tournament this season, Mullin may really have something going here, but if they fail to reach it again with all this talent, recruits will likely see it as a sign that players are not developing and coaching is not up to par. I like the progress I see thus far with the Mullin administration, however the time for results has arrived. We need to become a program that sells recruits on recent results and not just hope.
MullinMayhem

Postby BEhomer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:06 am

winning helps. but it takes much more to land 5 stars. Nova still struggles to land a 5 star. (I think Omari and Brunson all committed prior to them winning championship. none since) Uconn has not been able to land a single 5 star off of its recent championship.
BEhomer

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:21 am

Sean Miller, despite all of his recruiting prowess and being at a program that has - recently - won a national championship, has never made a Final Four. That is a big mark on him the same way Kevin Ollie has for being unable to be competitive without the thumbprint of Jim Calhoun. St. Johns has a lot of young talent, and appears to be fully moved on from the Lavin-era. I think they will be very competitive this season, which will only help in getting more and better recruits in Queens.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Jet915 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:48 am

BEhomer wrote:winning helps. but it takes much more to land 5 stars. Nova still struggles to land a 5 star. (I think Omari and Brunson all committed prior to them winning championship. none since) Uconn has not been able to land a single 5 star off of its recent championship.

UCONNs recruiting has gone on a nosedive, lost a recruit to SJU and recently Rutgers.....I dont think theyve had a top 150 recruit in 2017 or 2018 yet...
Jet915

Return to Big East basketball message board