Thoughts on SJ hiring Mike Rice as assistant coach

The home for Big East hoops

Is it a good idea to hire Mike Rice as an assistant coach?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Undecided
No votes

Total votes : 6

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:08 am

Looks like he's about to be hired as a defensive guru and also has some close ties with top NJ recruits. The thought is that he would bring experience, toughness, and a focus on defense in addition to X's and O's. Obviously we all know what happened 5 years ago where he was caught on tape hurling basketballs at players during practice, but those around him say he has totally changed and is just begging for a second chance. Thoughts? I think it would be a good hire granted that he comes cheap and there is someone to monitor him early on. Kids supposedly love playing for him.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on SJ hiring Mike Rice as assistant coach

Postby BEhomer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 am

I liked his intensity as a coach. he's obviously auditioning for another shot at HC so I would expect him to be at his best behavior. In the meantime, SJ can benefit from his experience and energy. Aside from the incident he may be exactly what that team needs.
BEhomer

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:49 am

BEhomer wrote:I liked his intensity as a coach. he's obviously auditioning for another shot at HC so I would expect him to be at his best behavior. In the meantime, SJ can benefit from his experience and energy. Aside from the incident he may be exactly what that team needs.

That's one of the things I like about him...he has that rugged NY in your face, brash attitude. I think he can add toughness to the team. He simply will not allow the defense to be lazy like they were last year. I also agree with your notion that you expect him to be on his best behavior. I see him in a similar light as a player in their contract year...obviously you hope they give their all every year, but Rice would know he has to change if he wants to be HC again at a major school. A gig at SJ even as an assistant would give him a lot of visibility. The only downside I see in this scenario is the inevitable negative article in the media questioning why SJ would hire a guy who was caught harassing/abusing players. Other coaches will surely use it against us recruiting, but I believe Rice's great relationships with top NJ recruits would neutralize that completely. Some top NJ recruits have even said that they really love playing for Rice and implied they may follow him if he gets a coaching job.
MullinMayhem

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:11 am

It's a good move, I was hoping the Hall would do it, but they don't have an opening or the desire to push an assistant out. He won't be on staff long (probably just 1 year) at SJ, but they know that and they're okay with it. The deal is he delivers a couple big recruits and they give him a shot to prove he can go a full season without throwing basketballs at anyone - then he'll likely have several head coaching offers at the end of the season.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 am

Hall2012 wrote:It's a good move, I was hoping the Hall would do it, but they don't have an opening or the desire to push an assistant out. He won't be on staff long (probably just 1 year) at SJ, but they know that and they're okay with it. The deal is he delivers a couple big recruits and they give him a shot to prove he can go a full season without throwing basketballs at anyone - then he'll likely have several head coaching offers at the end of the season.

Perfectly summed up IMO. We give him the stage, let him prove himself and put himself out there showing he's changed. In turn, we get solid defense and some good NJ recruits. I'd bet all of my money that he changes for the better...obviously he knows 1 more negative story that comes out about him and his coaching career at least in major hoops is over for good.
MullinMayhem

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:59 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Looks like he's about to be hired as a defensive guru and also has some close ties with top NJ recruits. The thought is that he would bring experience, toughness, and a focus on defense in addition to X's and O's. Obviously we all know what happened 5 years ago where he was caught on tape hurling basketballs at players during practice, but those around him say he has totally changed and is just begging for a second chance. Thoughts? I think it would be a good hire granted that he comes cheap and there is someone to monitor him early on. Kids supposedly love playing for him.

I believe you're jumping the gun, as Mullin and Rice haven't officially gotten together to shake on this deal.

There could be a last minute glitch and the deal is off the table. I do believe it'll be a great hire, and feel it'll get done, but let's wait until it's official.
Red Rooster

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:14 am

The only down side is some negative press, which is likely to come on 2 fronts. One being hiring a coach with Rice's behavioral history and the other being hiring a coach just to land his recruits (2 big NJ recruits are widely considered to be a package deal with Rice, should anyone hire him). However, after the initial 24-48 hour firestorm, both stories will blow over and leave the program in better shape than it was previously. Overall, if there's room on the staff, it's a smart move - the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby BEhomer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:47 am

fair points about negative press. and since this is NY I'm sure someone will write about it. Two things though that could possibly downplay media attention. One, this is not his first stint since the incident. There were some articles written about his comeback already. Two, this is for an assistant position. Real scrutiny will come when he lands his HC job.
BEhomer

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 am

Hall2012 wrote:The only down side is some negative press, which is likely to come on 2 fronts. One being hiring a coach with Rice's behavioral history and the other being hiring a coach just to land his recruits (2 big NJ recruits are widely considered to be a package deal with Rice, should anyone hire him). However, after the initial 24-48 hour firestorm, both stories will blow over and leave the program in better shape than it was previously. Overall, if there's room on the staff, it's a smart move - the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Hiring a coach just to land recruits...seemed to work for those Pirates from what I remember ;) I kid, I kid. But seriously, getting Whitehead can be seen as the first domino to fall in the resurgence of SHU. If we can land those 2 recruits in a package with him while also upgrading our defense it will be one of the best things to happen for SJ in a long time. Getting those 2 would likely give us a top 10-15 recruiting class nationally. Sometimes you just need that spark no matter what you have to do to ignite the program. Not really sure what the hold up is however...the earlier we can land Rice, the earlier those 2 stud 2018 kids may pop. We need to land big time recruits before the blue bloods enter at the last second as they always do.
MullinMayhem

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:03 am

MullinMayhem wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:The only down side is some negative press, which is likely to come on 2 fronts. One being hiring a coach with Rice's behavioral history and the other being hiring a coach just to land his recruits (2 big NJ recruits are widely considered to be a package deal with Rice, should anyone hire him). However, after the initial 24-48 hour firestorm, both stories will blow over and leave the program in better shape than it was previously. Overall, if there's room on the staff, it's a smart move - the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Hiring a coach just to land recruits...seemed to work for those Pirates from what I remember ;) I kid, I kid. But seriously, getting Whitehead can be seen as the first domino to fall in the resurgence of SHU. If we can land those 2 recruits in a package with him while also upgrading our defense it will be one of the best things to happen for SJ in a long time. Getting those 2 would likely give us a top 10-15 recruiting class nationally. Sometimes you just need that spark no matter what you have to do to ignite the program. Not really sure what the hold up is however...the earlier we can land Rice, the earlier those 2 stud 2018 kids may pop. We need to land big time recruits before the blue bloods enter at the last second as they always do.

It is a good comparison - it's a very similar situation. Tiny Morton needed to ride a recruit to get his first shot coaching in college...Mike Rice needs to ride recruits to get someone to give him a second chance. Kevin Willard absolutely did face a firestorm of criticism in the immediate aftermath with Whitehead, but it blew over and now Whitehead's legacy at SHU is overwhelmingly positive - even with only staying 2 years - and the program is in far better shape than it was previously.

St. John's may (likely will) face that same firestorm, but they're not doing anything illegal and the results will likely be worth the few days of criticism. But if this happens, SJ fans no longer have any room to accuse Willard and SHU of dirty recruiting with Whitehead ;)
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board