Thoughts on SJ hiring Mike Rice as assistant coach

The home for Big East hoops

Is it a good idea to hire Mike Rice as an assistant coach?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Undecided
No votes

Total votes : 6

Re: Thoughts on SJ hiring Mike Rice as assistant coach

Postby cu blujs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:05 am

Query: If they are 2018 signees and the expectation is Rice would only be at SJ one year, why would they commit to SJ if he won't be there when they actually enroll in school? I could see them waiting until the end of the season to see if he will be at SJ next year or commit where he goes next. I don't know anything about the situation, just going off the comments in this thread that he wouldn't be there long, probably one year.
cu blujs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:27 am

cu blujs wrote:Query: If they are 2018 signees and the expectation is Rice would only be at SJ one year, why would they commit to SJ if he won't be there when they actually enroll in school? I could see them waiting until the end of the season to see if he will be at SJ next year or commit where he goes next. I don't know anything about the situation, just going off the comments in this thread that he wouldn't be there long, probably one year.

The one year thing isn't definite, just speculation. It's no secret that Mike Rice wants another D1 head coaching job. He's plenty qualified, but everyone's still currently scared off by his Rutgers scandal. Should he behave himself at SJU, I see no reason why he wouldn't get a decent head coaching offer following the season.

To more specifically answer your question - my guess is that he wouldn't be joining the staff for this year and his one season would be the 2018-19 season - because I agree the package deal makes no sense if they wouldn't be there at the same time. Another question is just how attached are these kids to Mike Rice? If he left after 1 year to take a head coaching job elsewhere, would they consider transferring to follow him?
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby NJRedman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:34 am

http://nypost.com/2013/11/14/dangelo-ha ... anagement/

For those who don't know D'Angelo Harrison was suspended from the team at the end of his sophomore season I believe for anger and authority issues. That summer he went to an anger management center where he met Mike Rice and the two bonded and Rice helped D'Angelo over come those issues.

If anyone knows the NY media there is one thing they love more than any other story, the redemption/come back. With Mullin on board the local press has been very positive about the program and it will be spun as a positive of a man getting a second chance after getting the help he needed.

I'm all for this move because I think he truly did get the help he needed and deserves another shot at doing what he loves.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... -1.1712190
NJRedman

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 am

These 2 recruits who may follow Rice are 5 star top 10 level recruits. Brian Antoine and Scottie Lewis...they have said they want to be a package and Rice coached both of them so it would basically be a 3 piece package if they truly want to follow him to SJ. These guys may end up in the McDonald's All American game...to see 2 SJ/Big East players in there would be amazing. I know we rarely hit the lotto, but if we hire Rice, those 2 commit for 2019 and Precious Achiuwa another 2019 5 star recruit (his brother played here and loved SJ) commits, that would give us...can't believe I'm saying this but THREE 5 star players for 2019 and that would have to be a top 5 class. I know, I know...let's see what happens it's very possible it never pans out but man it's hard not to dream. This season is so important to prove to 2018 and 2019 recruits that we are back and we are ready to compete again nationally.
MullinMayhem

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:The only down side is some negative press, which is likely to come on 2 fronts. One being hiring a coach with Rice's behavioral history and the other being hiring a coach just to land his recruits (2 big NJ recruits are widely considered to be a package deal with Rice, should anyone hire him). However, after the initial 24-48 hour firestorm, both stories will blow over and leave the program in better shape than it was previously. Overall, if there's room on the staff, it's a smart move - the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Hiring a coach just to land recruits...seemed to work for those Pirates from what I remember ;) I kid, I kid. But seriously, getting Whitehead can be seen as the first domino to fall in the resurgence of SHU. If we can land those 2 recruits in a package with him while also upgrading our defense it will be one of the best things to happen for SJ in a long time. Getting those 2 would likely give us a top 10-15 recruiting class nationally. Sometimes you just need that spark no matter what you have to do to ignite the program. Not really sure what the hold up is however...the earlier we can land Rice, the earlier those 2 stud 2018 kids may pop. We need to land big time recruits before the blue bloods enter at the last second as they always do.

It is a good comparison - it's a very similar situation. Tiny Morton needed to ride a recruit to get his first shot coaching in college...Mike Rice needs to ride recruits to get someone to give him a second chance. Kevin Willard absolutely did face a firestorm of criticism in the immediate aftermath with Whitehead, but it blew over and now Whitehead's legacy at SHU is overwhelmingly positive - even with only staying 2 years - and the program is in far better shape than it was previously.

St. John's may (likely will) face that same firestorm, but they're not doing anything illegal and the results will likely be worth the few days of criticism. But if this happens, SJ fans no longer have any room to accuse Willard and SHU of dirty recruiting with Whitehead ;)

Totally, different scenario. Morton was hired by Seton Hall for the sole purpose of landing Whitehead. Period! Rice hiring wouldn't be for the sole purpose of landing Scottie Lewis and Bryan Antoine.

Rice has legitimate cred, as a strategic, collegiate coach and on the recruiting trail. Rice would help with game planning and in-game strategy and adjustments. He's also known as a solid, defensive coach. If bringing Rice along does land either Lewis, Antoine, or both, then it'll be the cherry on top. But, it's certainly not the ONLY reason Mullin and St. John's would bring Rice in as an assistant coach.
Red Rooster

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
Totally, different scenario. Morton was hired by Seton Hall for the sole purpose of landing Whitehead. Period! Rice hiring wouldn't be for the sole purpose of landing Scottie Lewis and Bryan Antoine.

Rice has legitimate cred, as a strategic, collegiate coach and on the recruiting trail. Rice would help with game planning and in-game strategy and adjustments. He's also known as a solid, defensive coach. If bringing Rice along does land either Lewis, Antoine, or both, then it'll be the cherry on top. But, it's certainly not the ONLY reason Mullin and St. John's would bring Rice in as an assistant coach.

LOL, please. If you honestly believe that St. John's would be making this hire - or even considering it - without Rice's ties to these two recruits, then I have a bridge to sell you. Lewis and Antoine are the reasons for the hire - the fact that Rice could be legitimately useful is the cherry on top.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

LOL, please. If you honestly believe that St. John's would be making this hire - or even considering it - without Rice's ties to these two recruits, then I have a bridge to sell you. Lewis and Antoine are the reasons for the hire - the fact that Rice could be legitimately useful is the cherry on top.

You can believe what you wanna believe. I just don't spout things off the cuff for the sake of doing so.
Red Rooster

Postby Jet915 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Who would he be replacing?
Jet915

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

You can believe what you wanna believe. I just don't spout things off the cuff for the sake of doing so.

I don't see why you're getting so defensive. It's not like I'm accusing St. John's of any wrongdoing and I've clearly said I think it's a great move for them.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:LOL, please. If you honestly believe that St. John's would be making this hire - or even considering it - without Rice's ties to these two recruits, then I have a bridge to sell you. Lewis and Antoine are the reasons for the hire - the fact that Rice could be legitimately useful is the cherry on top.

I don't see why you're getting so defensive. It's not like I'm accusing St. John's of any wrongdoing and I've clearly said I think it's a great move for them.

If you thought my response was being defensive, then you don't know the meaning of getting defensive. Your latest response is similar to someone being defensive.

My point is you can believe what you'd like to believe on Rice possibly joining St. John's. I'm not gonna attempt to convince you to think differently. You have that right. My other point is when I give info, and speak in somewhat definitive terms, then it's not something I'm just spouting for the heck of it.
Red Rooster

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board