ACC tourney to Madison Square Garden?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: ACC tourney to Madison Square Garden?

Postby Bluejay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Duke and North Carolina are NEVER going to agree to move the tourney to NYC on a permanent basis. A rotating basis perhaps, but certainly not a permanent basis.

For the record, I am not totally against a BE tourney rotation between NYC and Chicago either.
Bluejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeltaV » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Bluejay wrote:Duke and North Carolina are NEVER going to agree to move the tourney to NYC on a permanent basis. A rotating basis perhaps, but certainly not a permanent basis.

For the record, I am not totally against a BE tourney rotation between NYC and Chicago either.

This. MSG wants an every year commitment. We could give that to them...no way you get Tobacco Road to cross the Mason Dixon line more than once every three. Especially once they realize that the Garden is basically a home Syracuse game.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:45 pm

DeltaV wrote:
Bluejay wrote:Duke and North Carolina are NEVER going to agree to move the tourney to NYC on a permanent basis. A rotating basis perhaps, but certainly not a permanent basis.

This. MSG wants an every year commitment. We could give that to them...no way you get Tobacco Road to cross the Mason Dixon line more than once every three. Especially once they realize that the Garden is basically a home Syracuse game.

MSG also wants more games... better hope we go to 12 teams... 10 teams gives you 9 games max.... ACC with 14... that gives them a full week of basketball....
BillEsq

Postby bostonfriar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:30 am

Vertually no one wants to watch or be in Tuesday games. The tourney was just great when it was 3 days and still good at 4 days. 5 days has not always filled MSG unless Cuse or UConn etc were in the Tuesday game--which just did not happen.

Things are going great for the Big East - we should all give up the C7 moniker and use BE because that has been announced - we lost out in the past by not focusing on getting better and by being distracted by the view from the rear view mirror. I would not say we should ignore the ACC but if the Big East puts on a good show, makes money for all parties we will all be OK.
bostonfriar

Postby yorost » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:13 am

BillEsq wrote:
DeltaV wrote:

MSG also wants more games... better hope we go to 12 teams... 10 teams gives you 9 games max.... ACC with 14... that gives them a full week of basketball....

If MSG really wanted more games with 10 teams couldn't consolation games be added? Are they not permitted? The NCAA used to have some, I don't think they're banned there. You can argue how worthless and detrimental they are, but I'm not sure 9 is really the max. If MSG said 10 or no tournament, I don't think the conference would hesitate to add a 3rd place game.

------------

Concerning those saying Duke and North Carolina would never let the tournament out, I think you're forgetting how stupid all this latest realignment has been. I don't think the ACC would move there full time so don't think we'll lose it, but what do I know, it wouldn't surprise me, either.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:21 am

I'm a bit of a traditionalist myself - i prefer ties to shootout, hate OT in football, and consolation games don't bother me. That said i would say there is a better chance of going to 16 teams than having a consolation game added.

Really i don't think its a huge deal 9-10. The trick is MSG gets a cut of any game sold from their place with their sweet media deal. So the more games sold-the more $ made. I honestly don't know if MSG even cares, I was just trying to sneak another argument in for 12 teams :mrgreen: ... i don't think we have to worry about the ACC at all.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:23 am

BillEsq wrote:i prefer ties to shootout, hate OT in football, and consolation games don't bother me.

:lol:

Me too, I think it's funny how ties bother people.
yorost

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board