Big East Recruiting - 4 years in

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Recruiting - 4 years in

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:30 pm

stever20 wrote:so I took Gumby's numbers and did some stuff with them..... took out the '17 ratings. Since those guys haven't played yet.... Changed the ratings instead of lower being better to poll type thing where 1st place got 10 points.... And compared the recruiting ratings to conference wins the last 3 years...

numerator is # of conference wins last 3 years
denominator is recruiting ratings 14-16

But 34/11= 3.09
Nova 47/17= 2.76
SH 28/14= 2.00
X 32/18= 1.78
PC 31/20= 1.55
Cre 23/16= 1.44
Geo 24/19= 1.26
Dep 11/9= 1.22
Marq 22/22= 1.00
SJ 18/19= 0.95

Just shows how great Butler and Nova have done. And the sleeper that no one talks about- Seton Hall and Willard. And Mack and Cooley doing well for themselves.

I think the big surprise in this is Marquette. Now, to be fair, they have 2 #1 classes in 15 and 16- but only 2 and 1 year getting to play with those classes so far. But still- this to me is a HUGE year for Wojo.

Unfortunately, I would not be surprised to see a step back from last year's success into this year's. We are losing Fisher, Johnson, Wilson and Reinhardt. That's a ton of production to replace for guys like Howard, Hauser, Cheatham (who struggled last year) and Rowsey. There will be a ton of incorporation of new players in Anim, Froling, Eke, John, Cain, and Elliott. Bottom line, the program is absolutely back on track after the Buzz-rebuild, but next year's team will be the true start of sustained players and Wojo guys. This year's team will be the first without any true Buzz-era players.

Actually, one of the drawbacks from one of those recruiting classes, IMO, was Ellenson. A strong player no doubt, but he was always considered a one-and-done. Getting him was instrumental to set the tone for Wojo's era, no doubt, but losing such a valuable piece after just one season was a tough draw - especially for a rebuilding team. Cheatham regressed last year, Carter obviously transferred out, and Anim was redshirted. The quality was there, but getting it all to fit together hasn't happened yet.
GoldenWarrior11

Re: Big East Recruiting - 4 years in

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board