History of the Big East Member Institutions

The home for Big East hoops

Re: History of the Big East Member Institutions

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 pm

_lh wrote:Can't we get rid of this guy or at least his ridiculous threads? We all know how to use Wikipedia. At the very least, these types of threads need to be moved to the 'off topic" part of this site.

Move it here:

http://holylandofhoops.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

No ones making you read them guy. Post more than 150 posts and maybe we'll take your ideas into consideration. What Big East news should we be discussing in July? Would you prefer yet ANOTHER expansion thread? I for one enjoy these threads.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 pm

_lh wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:The histories of college basketball, the teams of yesteryear, and the Catholic universities who fielded those teams are three of my favorite topics.

Then post it on the UD flyer message board or A10 message board. Or better yet, start a blog. I'm tired of you posting off topic nonsense clogging up the board dedicated to a conference my team plays in. Everyone can use Wikipedia so just stop with all of you off topic garbage posts on this site. I don't think that is too much to ask.

You been here for over 2 years and have less than 200 posts. You clearly don;t care about this board since you don't actually contribute. You've posted more in this thread calling him out than any threads about the Big East in months. Sooooooo get lost.
NJRedman

Postby scoscox » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:By the way _lh, if you had taken the time to visit all ten of the schools' official history websites, you would have noticed that Xavier's is seriously lacking compared to those of the other nine schools, and it looks more like a high-school marketing campaign than a History of a proud Catholic university whose traditions date back to 1831. One of you Xavier fans might bring that to the attention of XU's marketing department.

It doesn't look like it's meant to be an official history page.

Anyway, Xavier split into St. Xavier high school and Xavier university in 1919. The high school is almost as big as the university.
scoscox

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:37 am

scoscox wrote:
It doesn't look like it's meant to be an official history page.

That was my point, scoscox.

The homepages of all ten of the official websites of the Big East schools have tabs at the top labelled ‘About’. In the About section, nine of the schools have a tab entitled ‘History’. Xavier does not, which I believe is a poor decision by the university. XU would be well-advised to add a History section to their official website containing something like the following, which has more information than either Xavier’s official website or the Wikipedia article about Xavier University.

Xavier University History – Ohio History Central.org
In 1831, Bishop Edward Fenick established a college called the Athenaeum in Cincinnati. This school was the first Roman Catholic college founded in Ohio. Nine years later, Bishop John Purcell determined that Cincinnati would make a good location for a Catholic university to be run by the Society of Jesus. He proposed that the Athenaeum's property would be a good site for the new university. As a result, in 1840 the Jesuits took control of the Athenaeum, renaming it St. Xavier College in honor of the founder of the Society of Jesus, St. Francis Xavier. The college received its charter from the state in 1842. Students were originally charged forty dollars a year for tuition at St. Xavier.
Read on …

If I was a high school student who was considering Xavier University and other Big East institutions to further my education, I would be quite interested in learning about the history of each school I was considering. The official websites of nine Big East institutions provide me with that information with two mouse clicks . . . About and History. If I wanted to learn about Xavier’s history, I would have to Google it, and wonder why Xavier doesn’t have a school history webpage.

If I were a Xavier student or alumnus, I would be proud to read about the history of my school on the XU official website, and be proud to have others read about that history.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby _lh » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 am

NJRedman wrote:
_lh wrote:Can't we get rid of this guy or at least his ridiculous threads? We all know how to use Wikipedia. At the very least, these types of threads need to be moved to the 'off topic" part of this site.

Move it here:

viewforum.php?f=5

No ones making you read them guy. Post more than 150 posts and maybe we'll take your ideas into consideration. What Big East news should we be discussing in July? Would you prefer yet ANOTHER expansion thread? I for one enjoy these threads.

I don't read them but I don't like trolls from non member schools clogging up a board I frequent daily with nonsense that can be properly placed in the off topic portion of this site, the UD message board, the A10 board or Muddy's personal blog. If you like them so much, check out Muddy's blog.

Does there have to be constant discussion in the offseason. If nothing is going on, post in the off topic thread. Why have it if the mods continue to allow trolls to post garbage like this on the wrong forum.

I have been around this board since it started and was on the A10 forum with this UD idiot for years. It was bad enough dealing with his nonsense when XU and UD shared a conference but we don't need his antics here.
Xavier
_lh

Postby NJRedman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:10 pm

_lh wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

Move it here:

http://holylandofhoops.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

I don't read them but I don't like trolls from non member schools clogging up a board I frequent daily with nonsense that can be properly placed in the off topic portion of this site, the UD message board, the A10 board or Muddy's personal blog. If you like them so much, check out Muddy's blog.

Does there have to be constant discussion in the offseason. If nothing is going on, post in the off topic thread. Why have it if the mods continue to allow trolls to post garbage like this on the wrong forum.

I have been around this board since it started and was on the A10 forum with this UD idiot for years. It was bad enough dealing with his nonsense when XU and UD shared a conference but we don't need his antics here.

It;s not trolling and you couldn't have been here since the beginning since it clearly states you joined up 2 years after me.

Once again, it's the off season and we don't run people off because they aren't fans of a big east team. You never come around so don't expect to get a warm reception the one time you do come around you start barking orders and demanding a poster who contributes far more than you gets booted. So go take a hike because the only troll here I see is you.
NJRedman

Postby gosports1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Hoya33 wrote:Butler is older and Providence is younger than I anticipated. Congratulations to Providence on turning a 100.

the year long celebration recently ended
gosports1

Postby _lh » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:19 pm

It is trolling. It is cut and past nonsense that belongs for the most part on the off topic portion of this site. If you like it so much, go there and read it.

I have been on this board since it started and was on the A10 board for years as well as both XU message boards. I rarely post but visit and read all of them (except the A10 board now) daily. I just didn't register immediately because I don't feel the need to post much. Dayton trolls prompt me to post more. You want less of me, get rid of the trolls.
Xavier
_lh

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:23 pm

_lh - please try to stay on topic.

Your five posts on this thread have nothing whatsoever to do with the History of the Big East Member Institutions.

Thank you very much.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby _lh » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:.
_lh - please try to stay on topic.

Your five posts on this thread have nothing whatsoever to do with the History of the Big East Member Institutions.

Thank you very much.

Delete your off topic thread and re-post it if you want in the appropriate off topic portion of this site.
Xavier
_lh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board