Rise and Fall of ESPN

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Rise and Fall of ESPN

Postby NJRedman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:01 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:
billyjack wrote:i don't see ESPN's toilet bowl circling as political. i see it as two things:

- ESPN making up sports news rather than just reporting it.... them force feeding us Tim Tebow (several years ago) and Lebron (still ongoing), promoting the shit out of their properties, while absolutely ignoring the NHL and any other sport they didn't own. People finally understand their manipulation, except ACC hoops fans still love ESPN, and Bilas and McDonough are ACC homers.

- But i think its mainly ESPN's ridiculous cost, for content that is available elsewhere. Basically their final stand is SEC football and ACC basketball (and loudmouth talking head shows), and those arent enough to justify ridiculous costs. So with similar content with several other networks, it's only logical i think for water to seek its own level, bringing ESPN in this case way down towards CBS and Fox, etc. So ESPN is totally screwed.

If it was truly political, then they would'vd gotten hit by hiring Rush Limbaugh 10-12 years ago. Think of how radical and alienating that decision was, and he even started things off with racist comments about McNabb. Even with that, ESPN sailed along for another decade as the sports king.

Anyway, that's my take, for what it's worth.

If it wasn't political they would not have fired Curt Schilling for suggesting that men should use the men's room and women should use the women's room. Yes, that happened. Jemele Hill is privileged and you know why. She is the golden girl (sorry if that offends people with gold skin, I'm not goldist). Imagine a white male host on ESPN calling Obama a black supremacist (and by the way if that happened, I'd say he should be fired 100%). Would ESPN slap him on the wrist? Come on. She never learns her lesson because she understands the dynamic. She is actually the one with the power and the privilege this day in age, yet still gets portrayed as a victim. You can't have two separate standards based on the color of your skin. That used to be wrong according to MLK.

Oh Jesus H Christ! Schilling did more than just suggest men use the mens room. Can the mods actually acknowledge that this is just F-ing Hooper already?
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't know if its just growing up, the advent of political media or what. But it is amazing how much respect I have lost for my parent's generation recently. The average 50+ year old seems to be more filled with hate and prejudice than I would have ever imagined.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:42 pm

Mayhem wants a "less political" ESPN but wants Curt Schilling on it? I agree that it should be less political (as in, not political at all), but you've lost all credibility with me with that absurdity. He has made derogatory comments about pretty much everyone and everything except white guys named Curt Schilling.

Regarding the WWL, this article says they lost 15,000 subscribers A DAY in October but echoes the sentiments of the last article that suggested ESPN may not renew it's contract with NFL.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-cant-afford-monday-night-football/

DudeAnon wrote:I don't know if its just growing up, the advent of political media or what. But it is amazing how much respect I have lost for my parent's generation recently. The average 50+ year old seems to be more filled with hate and prejudice than I would have ever imagined.

Dude...I am guessing I must be in your parent's generation but I would say that the hate seems much more widespread than just a generation. And I would say that I am as equally disgusted with the widespread hate and the ignorance of history. It's stunning to read comments to articles and the display of hate and ignorance. Just stunning.
Savannah Jay

Postby bluejayfanatic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:53 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Not sure how questioning PC culture (which half the country does) is suddenly "over the top" or extreme.

Dude, just STFU. Why are you "questioning PC culture" on a basketball conference website? ESPN is dying and it's not because it's political. Is it PC to say that black people are getting shot by white cops for no reason and getting acquitted? Is it PC to say our "president" is a white supremacist, which I agree with and all the objective evidence shows? Is it PC to say it's B.S. to get fired or have your job threatened because you expressed your political views on Twitter? I'm so tired of being accused of being PC when it's actually the white-robed culture warriors like you who are doing all the whining, all the complaining, and all the self-victimization. Grow the F up or get off this board.
bluejayfanatic

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:55 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Not sure how questioning PC culture (which half the country does) is suddenly "over the top" or extreme. It seems one side wants to have conversations and the other side would rather signal their virtue and call names to shut down speech. Jemele Hill is not a moderate as you imply. She plays identity politics and views everything through a racial lens. She is constantly coming down on NFL players who do not play the game of identity politics (see Dez Bryant who brushes her off). That IMO is extreme and many would agree. The belief that you must vote a certain way or have certain views because of the color of your skin is absurd and insulting and MLK would 100% agree with me on that. The issue is that PC culture has changed the definitions of formerly serious words like racism. Back in the day there was legitimate racism and any halfway decent person would agree with that. Siccing dogs, fire hoses, refusing to allow in certain schools, etc. definitely racist. But now we have people calling Corn Pops racist for depicting a cartoon corn pop as a janitor on the cereal box. If you agree with that, it's fine. You are entitled to your opinion, but I'm also entitled to my opinion to call it absurd. I just think it makes a mockery of real victims of real racism. And before I'm slandered by people saying I don't believe it exists anymore, that's false...of course it does. Unfortunately it's part of human nature. That doesn't mean we shouldn't act against it, but we also shouldn't overuse these serious terms and water them down to the point where South Park makes fun of you.

Oh my. I can't believe I'm reading this in the Holyland... Why is it here?
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:32 pm

bluejayfanatic wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:Not sure how questioning PC culture (which half the country does) is suddenly "over the top" or extreme.

Dude, just STFU. Why are you "questioning PC culture" on a basketball conference website? ESPN is dying and it's not because it's political. Is it PC to say that black people are getting shot by white cops for no reason and getting acquitted? Is it PC to say our "president" is a white supremacist, which I agree with and all the objective evidence shows? Is it PC to say it's B.S. to get fired or have your job threatened because you expressed your political views on Twitter? I'm so tired of being accused of being PC when it's actually the white-robed culture warriors like you who are doing all the whining, all the complaining, and all the self-victimization. Grow the F up or get off this board.

If you really think cops wake up, get coffee, and say "Ahh...another great day! Let me see who I want to kill today!" you are a wild conspiracy theorist. For no reason? Yes, yes....people can be sitting having a tea party and suddenly vicious, racist cops jump out and have a thirst for blood. That's what happens. There's no crime committed, there's no refusing police orders, there's no fighting back or resisting, etc. It's amazing how everything can only be the fault of someone else or some invisible "institution". I'm the only one with some middle ground here. Is police brutality an issue? Yes it is. More needs to be done and there needs to be more accountability. But that doesn't make it some conspiracy against a certain group, it happens to everyone. Instead of doing the whole omgggg he disagrees with the strict religion of PC culture feigned shock thing, simply refute my points. Do you have any idea how frightened cops are? They are all absolutely frightened 1) that they will not make it home to their family 2) everything is their fault in the media's eyes which spreads to the population and 3) they will become the next massive national story with a wild rush to judgement before hearing what led up to anything. So why would a cop possibly wake up asking for this? Just remember, police do not hold guns to people's heads and force them to commit crimes. People decide to commit them...themselves.

Again, this is not to say that there are not a significant amount of overly aggressive police. I've encountered some myself who were very disrespectful to me even though I tried being very polite and professional. So I'm not sure why it's radical to say that police are not bloodthirsty KKK members while at the same time saying that more needs to be done to hold police accountable for everyone. That sounds like a completely rational perspective to me. I can no longer stay silent and fall in line when false narratives are running rampant in this country. There IS another side of the debate. To get back to my point, people like Jemele Hill keep fanning the flames of the identity politics i.e. you are a victim because you have this color skin and you must be outraged when I tell you to be or you are a fake.
MullinMayhem

Postby NJRedman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:53 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:
bluejayfanatic wrote:

If you really think cops wake up, get coffee, and say "Ahh...another great day! Let me see who I want to kill today!" you are a wild conspiracy theorist. For no reason? Yes, yes....people can be sitting having a tea party and suddenly vicious, racist cops jump out and have a thirst for blood. That's what happens. There's no crime committed, there's no refusing police orders, there's no fighting back or resisting, etc. It's amazing how everything can only be the fault of someone else or some invisible "institution". I'm the only one with some middle ground here. Is police brutality an issue? Yes it is. More needs to be done and there needs to be more accountability. But that doesn't make it some conspiracy against a certain group, it happens to everyone. Instead of doing the whole omgggg he disagrees with the strict religion of PC culture feigned shock thing, simply refute my points. Do you have any idea how frightened cops are? They are all absolutely frightened 1) that they will not make it home to their family 2) everything is their fault in the media's eyes which spreads to the population and 3) they will become the next massive national story with a wild rush to judgement before hearing what led up to anything. So why would a cop possibly wake up asking for this? Just remember, police do not hold guns to people's heads and force them to commit crimes. People decide to commit them...themselves.

Again, this is not to say that there are not a significant amount of overly aggressive police. I've encountered some myself who were very disrespectful to me even though I tried being very polite and professional. So I'm not sure why it's radical to say that police are not bloodthirsty KKK members while at the same time saying that more needs to be done to hold police accountable for everyone. That sounds like a completely rational perspective to me. I can no longer stay silent and fall in line when false narratives are running rampant in this country. There IS another side of the debate. To get back to my point, people like Jemele Hill keep fanning the flames of the identity politics i.e. you are a victim because you have this color skin and you must be outraged when I tell you to be or you are a fake.

Hooper get the F out of here!!!
NJRedman

Postby bluejayfanatic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Mullin, I'm not arguing with you over this. Color me shocked that a white middle-aged man doesn't understand the perspective of people who grew up in and experienced life in America as a racial minority. They get to express their opinion just like you get to. Quit using the decline in ESPN's subscriptions (which isn't unique to ESPN, btw) as an opportunity to martyr yourself and project your irrelevant, over-fed, under-read Breitbart trash opinions on a BIG EAST MESSAGE BOARD. GTFO.
bluejayfanatic

Postby NJRedman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:20 pm

bluejayfanatic wrote:Mullin, I'm not arguing with you over this. Color me shocked that a white middle-aged man doesn't understand the perspective of people who grew up in and experienced life in America as a racial minority. They get to express their opinion just like you get to. Quit using the decline in ESPN's subscriptions (which isn't unique to ESPN, btw) as an opportunity to martyr yourself and project your irrelevant, over-fed, under-read Breitbart trash opinions on a BIG EAST MESSAGE BOARD. GTFO.

He's not middle aged, hes like 25. There are a lot of younger conservative douches like that in NYC. They were raised in the aftermath of 9/11 where cops and firefighters and soldiers are held up like captain america and superman that can do no wrong and anyone questioning them is an evil bastard who is out to destroy the country. A big ol dash of xenophobia and islamicphobia mixed in for just the right spice of hate.
NJRedman

Postby bluejayfanatic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:28 pm

NJRedman wrote:He's not middle aged, hes like 25. There are a lot of younger conservative douches like that in NYC. They were raised in the aftermath of 9/11 where cops and firefighters and soldiers are held up like captain america and superman that can do no wrong and anyone questioning them is an evil bastard who is out to destroy the country. A big ol dash of xenophobia and islamicphobia mixed in for just the right spice of hate.

That's scary. He reads more like the comment section of a local newspaper in one of the Valley's smaller markets.
bluejayfanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board