NCAA committee to place more emphasis on road wins

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:23 am

This was mentioned in another thread, but I felt like it deserved it's own. The potential is that this will have a significant impact on Selection Sunday and I suspect we will hear plenty of complaing from coaches who simply don't take their team on the road (Boeheim).

"We consulted with experts within the coaching and analytics fields who looked at historical data, based on winning percentages by game location, to come up with these dividing lines within each of the columns," Mark Hollis, Michigan State's athletic director, and the outgoing committee chair, said. "The emphasis of performing well on the road is important, as was the need for teams not to be penalized as much for road losses. Beating elite competition, regardless of the game location, will still be rewarded, but the committee wanted the team sheets to reflect that a road game against a team ranked 60th is mathematically more difficult and of higher quality than a home game versus a team ranked 35th. We feel this change accomplishes that."

It's a huge step for mid-majors, schools forced to play more road games than the majority of teams from conferences that annually land four or more tournament bids.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... t-process/

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basket ... ins-071417
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: NCAA committee to place more emphasis on road wins

Postby stever20 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:49 pm

I think it's funny. I really don't think it's going to help the mid-major schools out at all. I mean, Illinois St from last year- hurt by the change.... Their home win vs Wichita moved from tier 1 down to tier 2...

Looking at Syracuse.....

tier 1- old 6-8 new 4-9
tier 2- old 2-1 new 4-1
tier 3- old 4-4 new 1-4
tier 4- old 6-1 new 8-0
rec tier 1/2- old 8-9 new 8-10
rec tier 1-3- old 12-13 new 9-14

so yeah, Boeheim would have complained.

as far as Big East.....
Xavier and Seton Hall home games would now be tier 2 instead of tier 1. X 37, SH 44.
Providence road game would now be tier 1 instead of tier 2. PC 56
Georgetown road game would now be tier 2 instead of tier 3. Geo 107
DePaul road game would now be tier 3 instead of tier 4. DeP 236

Looking at Providence last year- only because they were the last team in from the big east...
tier 1- old 6-8 new 3-8
tier 2- old 2-1 new 6-1
tier 3- old 6-1 new 4-3
tier 4- old 6-2 new 7-0
tier 1-2 old 8-9 new 9-9
tier 1-3 old 14-10 new 13-12

Providence would have gotten hurt by it from the looks of things. They got unlucky that Rhode Island was #31.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board