Crawfish - RANK the coaches (the Crawfish list)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Crawfish - RANK the coaches (the Crawfish list)

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 am

I understand that Mullin is still a pretty unknown brand as a coach and I understand that he hasn't proven much of anything yet (give him time). With that being said, to say that he has been a "spotty" recruiter and that Ewing has recruited better is just wrong. If you're going by the rankings for recruiting classes, just remember they don't include JUCO's, international players, or transfers...3 things we have relied on early in his tenure. SJ's recruiting has not been great, but it has been solid at worst. We got a 5 star transfer from Arizona, a veteran big man from Michigan State, Trimble who is a major size and athletic upgrade over Mussini (though we will miss his shooting), and he deserves credit for finding a diamond in the rough in Tariq Owens from Tennessee who went from no PT to a legitimate starter level player. He also deserves credit for Ponds and LoVett who will be among the very best scoring duos as guards in the country. Didn't Ewing get 1 guy?
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pki1998 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:38 am

Yeah the ranking of Mullin as dead last seems odd. I'm not going to say anything crazy like St. john's will be the reg season conference champ this year. But i expect them to be pretty good. In fact, i would be surprised if the dont at least make the NIT this season. I also wouldn't be surprised if they finished as high as fourth this year. although a 6 place finish seems more likely

As far as the topic at hand. I won't rank all the coaches, and I mean no disrespect to Jay or anyone else, but i think Cooley is probably the best coach in the league.
Xavier
pki1998

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:31 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
NJRedman wrote:Yeah but thats not what he's doing here. He's baiting the St. John's fans big time. If anyone else started the thread it would be fine.

His recruiting has been very spotty. Sidney Wilson was seen as this big victory but lets be honest, the kid is a bigtime project who came very late in the recruiting cycle. Mullin should have been full by that time.

Mullin's recruiting has been alright, but "very spotty" is a stretch. He and his staff has brought in good talent every, recruiting cycle (including, the one where he barely had time to recruit a team, when they took advantage of the previous staff's contacts and landed Marcus LoVett and Frederico Mussini). I do believe the 2018 class is going to be quite imperative to what they do going forward.

I'm almost positive you don't know anything about Sidney Wilson. So, don't come here like you do. Wilson's commitment came late in the recruiting cycle because he reclassified to the 2017 class. He was a top 70 player in the 2018 before reclassifying. 247 Sports final compilation for Wilson was #80 after reclassifying to the '17 class. Mullin's roster being or should've been "full by that time" doesn't have any relevancy to Wilson being available or being a "bigtime project." Another dumb and troll post.

Ewing has already shown more in his short time at Georgetown.

What is this based on? Please enlighten me and others. Come talk to me when Georgetown is in 10th place.

So I say without any equivocation... Any Big East list that doesn't have Mullin at #10 is a horrible commentary on the conference.

Haha! Mullin still has something to prove, IMO. But, the junk you're spewing is all about your "crabs in the barrel" mentality. No one cares about you or what you have to say on this forum. You're a troll, and an unsophisticated one to say the least. The more you post, the more your vitriol comes out. Get lost!
Red Rooster

Postby Burrito » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 pm

For some reason, Pat Ewing recently hired Ronny thompson (brother of JT3) to join his staff.

https://www.casualhoya.com/2017/7/20/16 ... rick-ewing
Burrito

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Burrito wrote:For some reason, Pat Ewing recently hired Ronny thompson (brother of JT3) to join his staff.

https://www.casualhoya.com/2017/7/20/16 ... rick-ewing

He probably wouldn't have been hired by any, other school in any capacity, but he's hired by Georgetown. If we already didn't know, which many already knew, we know who's still pulling the strings for the Hoyas.

He'll probably end up as Ewing's successor when or if Ewing moves on.
Red Rooster

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:49 pm

pki1998 wrote:Yeah the ranking of Mullin as dead last seems odd. I'm not going to say anything crazy like St. john's will be the reg season conference champ this year. But i expect them to be pretty good. In fact, i would be surprised if the dont at least make the NIT this season. I also wouldn't be surprised if they finished as high as fourth this year. although a 6 place finish seems more likely

As far as the topic at hand. I won't rank all the coaches, and I mean no disrespect to Jay or anyone else, but i think Cooley is probably the best coach in the league.

Opinions are fine. I'd like to hear what specifically went into your opinion, because I'm not sure there is any data that can be presented to support it. I think there are 2 other coaches in the league in which it would be really tough to put Cooley ahead of based on a couple of factors:

Head to Head:
vs . Wright = 3-10
vs. Mack = 2-6
Combined = .238 winning %

Tourney Wins (last 4 years):
Cooley - 1
Mack - 6
Wright - 9
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board