Newcomer Impact

The home for Big East hoops

Newcomer Impact

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:24 am

Every year a crop of new players emerges and make a significant impact on their teams and the league. Last year seemed to be a huge year for that. Ponds and Lovett, Baldwin, Patton and Foster, Divencenzo and Paschall, Diallo, Howard, Pryor, etc.

Who are your picks to be the top impact newcomers this year? Here are the 5 that I think will make the biggest impact from 5 - 1.

5. Froling (Marq) - transfer from SMU; seems to be very talented at a position that Marq needs reinforcements; maybe just needs a change of scenery; not eligible until mid-season
4. Scruggs (X) - from all reports the kid is a flat out stud on both ends of the court; one year deferring to X's big guns and then he becomes more of a focal point
3. Joseph (CU)- takes over the point and matched with Foster becomes one of the stronger backcourts in the league
2. Simon (SJU)- another talented guard/wing for Mullin & Co. Ponds, Lovett and Simon are going to be a lot of fun to watch this year
1. Spellman (VU) - When you watch film of the kid there is little he can't do offensively; great footwork and multiple moves in the post, can face up and hit the mid-range or 3; with a redshirt year to lose baby fat and get in shape, and a huge hole in the middle for the Cats to fill, I expect Omari to have a very big year; can't wait to see Delgado and Spellman go at it.

That's just 5. There is a ton of talent coming in that could step up and play big for someone.

Marshall & Kanter (X); Samules & DCR (VU); Ballock, Epperson, Alexander (CU); M.A.L and Dickens (PC); Cale (SHU); Dickerson (G'town); Brunk & Jorgensen (Butler) The two kids from DePaul (Maric and the Div II kid) sound like players too. Lots of talent replacing the guys who left the league.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Newcomer Impact

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Newcomer Impact

Postby Demon22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:34 pm

There are people around DePaul's program who will tell you with a high degree of confidence that Max Strus is this year's Derrick White... a kid who transferred in from a DII school and then tore it up at the next level.

I know at least one member of the DePaul coaching staff thinks he's got a real chance to draw an NBA pay check some day. All I know is that when we played Lewis two years ago, there wasn't anybody on the roster that could guard the kid. I think he scored about 35 against us.
Demon22

Postby bobpp1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:45 pm

MAL and Nate Watson for the friars. I think Dickens will be more of a project but huge upside.
bobpp1

Postby EMT » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Every year a crop of new players emerges and make a significant impact on their teams and the league. Last year seemed to be a huge year for that. Ponds and Lovett, Baldwin, Patton and Foster, Divencenzo and Paschall, Diallo, Howard, Pryor, etc.

Who are your picks to be the top impact newcomers this year? Here are the 5 that I think will make the biggest impact from 5 - 1.

5. Froling (Marq) - transfer from SMU; seems to be very talented at a position that Marq needs reinforcements; maybe just needs a change of scenery; not eligible until mid-season
4. Scruggs (X) - from all reports the kid is a flat out stud on both ends of the court; one year deferring to X's big guns and then he becomes more of a focal point
3. Joseph (CU)- takes over the point and matched with Foster becomes one of the stronger backcourts in the league
2. Simon (SJU)- another talented guard/wing for Mullin & Co. Ponds, Lovett and Simon are going to be a lot of fun to watch this year
1. Spellman (VU) - When you watch film of the kid there is little he can't do offensively; great footwork and multiple moves in the post, can face up and hit the mid-range or 3; with a redshirt year to lose baby fat and get in shape, and a huge hole in the middle for the Cats to fill, I expect Omari to have a very big year; can't wait to see Delgado and Spellman go at it.

That's just 5. There is a ton of talent coming in that could step up and play big for someone.

Marshall & Kanter (X); Samules & DCR (VU); Ballock, Epperson, Alexander (CU); M.A.L and Dickens (PC); Cale (SHU); Dickerson (G'town); Brunk & Jorgensen (Butler) The two kids from DePaul (Maric and the Div II kid) sound like players too. Lots of talent replacing the guys who left the league.

Makai Ashton-Langford is ranked #36 in the class. Joseph was a horrific bust at Cuse....
EMT

Postby FriarJ » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 pm

EMT wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Every year a crop of new players emerges and make a significant impact on their teams and the league. Last year seemed to be a huge year for that. Ponds and Lovett, Baldwin, Patton and Foster, Divencenzo and Paschall, Diallo, Howard, Pryor, etc.

Makai Ashton-Langford is ranked #36 in the class. Joseph was a horrific bust at Cuse....

Biggest mistake of his young life. He would have been in the other thread about top players I believe if he had just chosen the other school in his final two. But as Cooley said, join us or get your ass kicked by us. Mr. Joseph has that ass kicking coming this year.

Also, in Gumby's defense it will be hard for a MAL to make an impact from a bottom feeder like PC.
FriarJ

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:32 am

FriarJ wrote:
EMT wrote:

Biggest mistake of his young life. He would have been in the other thread about top players I believe if he had just chosen the other school in his final two. But as Cooley said, join us or get your ass kicked by us. Mr. Joseph has that ass kicking coming this year.

Also, in Gumby's defense it will be hard for a MAL to make an impact from a bottom feeder like PC.

Boy you Friar fans are a sensitive bunch. The reason I did not have MAL in the top 5 is b/c he's got a little issue that Joseph doesn't currently have: an all-league performer in front of him on the depth chart. If you don't think that KC is going to dominate the time available at the point then I guess you don't think as highly of your returning PG as I do. The thread is not who will end up being the 5 best newcomers. If that were the case Inprobably would have included MAL, Marshall and Samuels in the list. But I expect Joseph to be able to step right in and play next to Foster. MAL is not playing in front of KC. But I'm all ears if you think I am wrong.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby milksteak » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:14 am

Jorgensen should start for Butler, but I think Christian David will actually make a huge impact. He's just now getting healthy, and he has looked gooooood in footage from practice.

We'll see though. I also thought Jackson Davis would be a huge player for Butler. :oops:
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:57 am

I tend to agree with this list - guys who are going to have a chance to play major minutes right away and make an impact. I expect Spellman to be for Villanova was Patton was for Creighton last year.

Though I wouldn't put any of them on this list, I'm very excited about SHU's newcomers. While I don't think any one will have a major impact on the league, I think they will collectively as they appear to make SHU a far deeper team. In the past, SHU had glaring weaknesses when the starters weren't on the floor. This year, Willard should be able to give some of his big guns a breather without risking a double digit run against his team.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby FriarJ » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:44 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
FriarJ wrote:
EMT wrote:

Boy you Friar fans are a sensitive bunch. The reason I did not have MAL in the top 5 is b/c he's got a little issue that Joseph doesn't currently have: an all-league performer in front of him on the depth chart. If you don't think that KC is going to dominate the time available at the point then I guess you don't think as highly of your returning PG as I do. The thread is not who will end up being the 5 best newcomers. If that were the case Inprobably would have included MAL, Marshall and Samuels in the list. But I expect Joseph to be able to step right in and play next to Foster. MAL is not playing in front of KC. But I'm all ears if you think I am wrong.

Yes, I knew this and I agree, you said biggest impacts not best players, I just threw that last part in there to be funny. FAIL! The meat of my post was about Joseph and that's why I bolded it. Anyway you do have the Dickens thing wrong. Watson is going to have the most impact for us. So there! :D
FriarJ

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Demon22 wrote:There are people around DePaul's program who will tell you with a high degree of confidence that Max Strus is this year's Derrick White... a kid who transferred in from a DII school and then tore it up at the next level.

I know at least one member of the DePaul coaching staff thinks he's got a real chance to draw an NBA pay check some day. All I know is that when we played Lewis two years ago, there wasn't anybody on the roster that could guard the kid. I think he scored about 35 against us.

Man, I really wanted him. Xavier has lost out to DePaul for two recent transfers, Strus and Jalen Coleman-Lands. I'm guessing they will be core players for DePaul's resurgence to respectability.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board