4 years ago - Butler, Creighton, Xavier joined Big East

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 4 years ago - Butler, Creighton, Xavier joined Big East

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:07 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I gotta say it is fun going back in the HLOH time machine and reading posts from late 2012 and early 2013, prior to the official announcements. Butler and X were thought to be clear additions and then the debate was over who would be team #10 and if there would be team #s 11 and 12. Reading Jays fan's cautious optimism evolving into unbridled joy = very cool. Dayton, VCU, SLU, St. Joe's, Richmond and Wich St fans all making cases on why they should be included. There's actually a post from good ole Gtmo suggesting that the C7 should add Gonzaga first. Jet predicting that the league would be an unquestioned Top 5 league with 4-5 consistent bids each year. Good stuff.
If you've got a few minutes it's definitely a fun read...

I've very much enjoyed being a part of this HLOH community since then. Cheers to our Admin / HLOH Founder (even though he is a Hoya fan :D )

Great post, Gumby.

Another entertaining and reflective experience is to go back to our old board and read what others were saying when we broke away to form our new league. There were so many entertaining and passionate discussions about who had rights to the Big East name, who would get more TV money, which would be the better basketball league, and who was responsible for keeping certain programs out of the Big East due to their pathetic basketball programs. When the Fox deal came out, in unison with the ESPN deal, watching the freak-out over there was absolutely priceless. Today, watching our like-mindedness and harmony towards our conference and enjoying the successes of our peers is such a great feeling.

Looking forward to another great four years (and more) in our great conference!
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:53 am

Smorgasbord, fiddlesticks, zmhxyweeszqiesl, enough already with the lovefest. Yep it's been a great start...for the most part. Great conference.
Time to part with the unyielding love for Nova and X and elect new elite at the top. Second, 9th, 6th, and tie for 3rd with 15 others, enough already.
Tired of looking up...time to lead and look down at the 9 dwarfs. Prov, Marquette, and the Hall have to be put back in their place, ol' Bulter has imploded,
da Johnnies need to be reminded they are NY's team, and good ol DePaul and G'twn are where they deserve to be - bottom feeding.

Everything is fine, except at the top...Time for the Jays to shine. Thanks for the recruiting boost BE.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby FriarJ » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:56 am

At least make one final four before looking down at the other 9 dwarfs. You wouldn't sound like such an idiot, unless of course that is the look you're going for and if that is the case; mission accomplished.
FriarJ

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:09 pm

FriarJ wrote:At least make one final four before looking down at the other 9 dwarfs. You wouldn't sound like such an idiot, unless of course that is the look you're going for and if that is the case; mission accomplished.

Final Four? Creighton has never made the Sweet 16.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby FriarJ » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:40 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
FriarJ wrote:At least make one final four before looking down at the other 9 dwarfs. You wouldn't sound like such an idiot, unless of course that is the look you're going for and if that is the case; mission accomplished.

Good grief. Apparently nobody has suffered more from cuts to mental health in this country than gtmo.
FriarJ

Postby billyjack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:43 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

Yeah, not sure what gtmo writes is supposed to be taken seriously?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Creighton has made 3 Sweet-16's:

- 1974 under Eddie Sutton.

I noticed that this Creighton misinformation has been spreadi g around that other site... maybe by Wheat Shocker fans? How difficult is it to look up their history? It's like Wichita fans don't think people can look up information earlier than 2011...?

Then again, maybe it's me, maybe i'm a little f--ked up in the head, maybe i'm wrong?

"Lost Regional Semifinal":

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/creighton/

1974:
W vs Texas 77-61.
L vs Kansas 55-54.

1964:
W vs Oklahoma City 89-78.
L vs Wichita State 84-68.

1962:
W vs Memphis 87-83.
L vs #2 Cincinnati 66-46.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 pm

Also, back 2012, didn't Jon Feinstein say the C-7 was in serious talks with Siena?
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:59 pm

looking on their wiki page, not only do they have 3 sweet 16's, but also an elite 8 back in 1941.....

Creighton's problem though is since 1974, or the modern era, they've not been within even single digits of making the sweet 16. 6 chances- lost by 12,12,12,14,16, and 30 points.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:05 pm

billyjack wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

Yeah, not sure what gtmo writes is supposed to be taken seriously?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Creighton has made 3 Sweet-16's:

- 1974 under Eddie Sutton.

I noticed that this Creighton misinformation has been spreadi g around that other site... maybe by Wheat Shocker fans? How difficult is it to look up their history? It's like Wichita fans don't think people can look up information earlier than 2011...?

Then again, maybe it's me, maybe i'm a little f--ked up in the head, maybe i'm wrong?

"Lost Regional Semifinal":

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/creighton/

1974:
W vs Texas 77-61.
L vs Kansas 55-54.

1964:
W vs Oklahoma City 89-78.
L vs Wichita State 84-68.

1962:
W vs Memphis 87-83.
L vs #2 Cincinnati 66-46.

Forgive me. Creighton has made a sweet 16. They have never won 2 games in a row in the NCAA tournament.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby jfan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:08 pm

The S16's for Creighton seem correct. Wikipedia also has us with an E8 in 1941. I know, all ancient history. Wichita fans only go back to 2011 unless their Final 4 from the 60's comes up, then of course it's all relevant. Why do people react to Gtmo by attacking the program? He is only one of our fans and his spouts are pretty consistent (and apparently irritating to other fans on the site). I usually like most of his posts, but not the one above.
CREIGHTON
jfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board