Crawfish - On Being a Fan

The home for Big East hoops

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm fascinated by this question as a pertains to all of us.
The program I support isn't where it should be right now but I'm optimistic. From the beginning I wanted Ewing, so I'm all systems go. That being said, does that viewpoint make me more or less of a fan than people who are more critical.
Extending that conference-wide. Does being more 'wait and see' or critical (nitpicky about certain things) make one more or less of a fan? Beyond that, can I be a Hoyas fan but not a fan of other schools in the conference?
Again, it fascinates me that some may be so black and white and not see the various colors that make up ones perception of their own team in the constellation of an athletic conference.
My view of my team is greatly tied to our current Head Coach, and the memories associated with his domination versus a myriad of teams that are dispersed across the collegiate landscape right now.
I'll state unequivocally right now that I do still follow those teams closely.
My views are my views and I take pride in that. I certainly haven't slammed anyone's school on here and I haven't knocked the new conference. I wont knock the ACC and I wont knock the AAC.
If it threatens anyone that another fan is bothered by certain things they may view as lacking or they take a broader view of their own conference history, particularly when they are trying to convey a broader picture of their fandom to fans who don't fully share the journey some of us have been on as fans, my apologies.
That being said, what does it mean to be a fan?
I stand behind everything I've posted as being relevant to our current conference. As fans, is it our duty to knock others in lock step? Is it our duty to overlook trends and not draw attention to them? When we draw attention, does that make us bad people?
I wouldn't call myself a contrarian, but if I did contrarian things would that reveal me as 'not a fan'?
As we are all charter members of this current conference, I believe it is a sign of respect to draw a distinction between the old and the new. This is far from 1985. To judge the accomplishments of this group by that group is not fair. Those records really are not relevant to this conference.
Ask Coach Ewing about that. I'm sure he would enlighten many of you.
That doesn't mean we don't like it in the new conference. If that clears anything up, I'm glad to. If anyone thinks I was ragging on anyone, show me where I did. If anyone thinks I wasn't ragging on other people or conferences in unison enough, that's just not how I roll. You guys can do that. I don't get anything by adding my voice to that. I'm perfectly fine having "Crawfish" in front of all my posts.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Crawfish - What does it mean to be a fan?

Postby billyjack » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 pm

I've shortened the length of your titles to clear up the board and make it neater. I put Crawfish in the titles so that people would recognize those particular threads, even though the title has been changed.

Having said all that, some of your new threads should really just be comments within other threads. The Tom Crean thread should be a comment in the Holtmann thread.

Also, you've been poking at and antagonzing this board for a month or more, with troll or concern-troll comments and threads. This thread is tough to understand and reads like a miko33 troll thread from the CSNBBS site. Everyone realizes that you're not a Hoya fan, so you might as well just be honest.

Also, even though the HLOH gets wrongly accused of censorship on that CSNBBS board, we're actually an extremely, extremely tolerant group here, so you haven't even been moderated, though we've gotten requests to do so. Any other site would have banned you weeks ago, no question. Just the fact that Stever is still with us, and has over 9,000 posts is proof of that.

Anyway, for starters, i recommend that you stop using the "nBE" and "oBE" terminology, because it's an ESPN/ ACC/ "Syracuse Communications Majors"/ "Requiem For The Big East" bogus invention.
Providence
billyjack

Re: Crawfish - On Being a Fan

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:41 pm

It's pretty simple - support. You're a fan of who you support. People offer support in different ways. Some donate large sums of money, some buy season tickets, some attend only one game a year. On top of that, some only watch on TV or maybe only follow scores online - I'm not one to judge the level of support someone gives in that way because I don't know their situation.

Fans - or supporters - are of course welcome to make constructive criticisms, but that's not what you do. You constantly make disrespectful, snyde remarks about the Big East and that's why so many on here do not believe that you really are a "fan" of the conference or one of its teams.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:02 pm

billyjack wrote:I've shortened the length of your titles to clear up the board and make it neater. I put Crawfish in the titles so that people would recognize those particular threads, even though the title has been changed.

Having said all that, some of your new threads should really just be comments within other threads. The Tom Crean thread should be a comment in the Holtmann thread.

Also, you've been poking at and antagonzing this board for a month or more, with troll or concern-troll comments and threads. This thread is tough to understand and reads like a miko33 troll thread from the CSNBBS site. Everyone realizes that you're not a Hoya fan, so you might as well just be honest.

Also, even though the HLOH gets wrongly accused of censorship on that CSNBBS board, we're actually an extremely, extremely tolerant group here, so you haven't even been moderated, though we've gotten requests to do so. Any other site would have banned you weeks ago, no question. Just the fact that Stever is still with us, and has over 9,000 posts is proof of that.

Anyway, for starters, i recommend that you stop using the "nBE" and "oBE" terminology, because it's an ESPN/ ACC/ "Syracuse Communications Majors"/ "Requiem For The Big East" bogus invention.

Yep. If there was ignore button I'd hit it. It's clear he's not a BE fan. I don't mind some lively debate with fans outside the conference, but at least be honest and present yourself as a fan outside the conference. People like UDFlyer will always be welcomed. Guys like CFH need to be called out early and often. They're trolls.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby admin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:10 pm

And thank you to the mods for their assistance.

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Yep. If there was ignore button I'd hit it. It's clear he's not a BE fan. I don't mind some lively debate with fans outside the conference, but at least be honest and present yourself as a fan outside the conference. People like UDFlyer will always be welcomed. Guys like CFH need to be called out early and often. They're trolls.

You can ignore a user by doing the following:
Click on the user control panel
Select Friends and Foes, manage foes, enter username of the person to ignore, click submit
admin
Site Admin

Postby EMT » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm

It totally ruins the user experience when you ignore someone that comments on every thread. Keeping guys like him around is a disservice to the rest of your members...
EMT

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:34 pm

If you read a certain poster's comments on here, the writing, logic and voice is strikingly similar to a certain poster from a certain board that notoriously (even obsessively) was anti-Big East. This same poster was banned from that site for taking things too far.

I'm all for posting your beliefs and making points that drive discussions, but when it gets to the point of hijacking conversations and bringing down everything - then it absolutely gets into troll territory (which forced the C7 fans to leave that board years ago).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby NJRedman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:54 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:If you read a certain poster's comments on here, the writing, logic and voice is strikingly similar to a certain poster from a certain board that notoriously (even obsessively) was anti-Big East. This same poster was banned from that site for taking things too far.

I'm all for posting your beliefs and making points that drive discussions, but when it gets to the point of hijacking conversations and bringing down everything - then it absolutely gets into troll territory (which forced the C7 fans to leave that board years ago).

Oh that narrows it down to a who's who's list of losers! Which one do you think he is?!?
NJRedman

Return to Big East basketball message board