Crawfish - Tom Crean Thread

The home for Big East hoops

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Some of us are familiar with Crean when he was in the OBE... So, it seemed natural he might be considered when there were openings in the NBE.

Why isn't Crean getting the consideration in this conference and other conferences?

I'm beginning to think that most of the programs in this conference are going to be hiring in-house rather than going after standing HCs at other programs.

Is that the main reason? Or does Crean carry with him a stain?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that Patrick Ewing and Lavall Jordan got the jobs.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Once two jobs opened, Why wasn't Tom Crean considered?

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:51 am

I can't speak for Georgetown, but Butler fans would burn Hinkle to the ground before having Crean as the head coach.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Re: Crawfish - Tom Crean Thread

Postby milksteak » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:30 am

Crean can't win with marginal talent. Good recruiter and a decent talent evaluator, but completely inept when it comes to Xs and Os.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby NJRedman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:33 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:Some of us are familiar with Crean when he was in the OBE... So, it seemed natural he might be considered when there were openings in the NBE.

Why isn't Crean getting the consideration in this conference and other conferences?

I'm beginning to think that most of the programs in this conference are going to be hiring in-house rather than going after standing HCs at other programs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that Patrick Ewing and Lavall Jordan got the jobs.

Actual Big East fans just call that the Big East.
NJRedman

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 am

NJRedman wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:Some of us are familiar with Crean when he was in the OBE... So, it seemed natural he might be considered when there were openings in the NBE.

I wasn't aware there was a manual of fandom. There are Gs and there are OGs. Ask Coach Ewing who the OGs were in the Big East.

If my shorthand bothers you, my apologies. I want to see this group be the best it can be.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby NJRedman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:03 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

I wasn't aware there was a manual of fandom. There are Gs and there are OGs. Ask Coach Ewing who the OGs were in the Big East.

If my shorthand bothers you, my apologies. I want to see this group be the best it can be.

Oh please, if you weren't aware that the conference now and before is just called the Big East then you are beyond help.
NJRedman

Postby jfan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:42 pm

He knows what it should be called, he is just being an ....... (fill in the blank)
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Crean was at our 100 year Hoopla last Friday - the first time he has set foot on campus since leaving for IU nearly 10 years ago. He had a lot of positive things to say about our program and Wojo, but the biggest thing was a little story he was told by Izzo on how a place like Marquette is unlike any other, and that Crean, without saying so much, felt like he didn't really appreciate it as well as he could have when he was here. He could have been a lifer here, but it was in best interests for both to move on. He reached his ceiling with the Final Four and he needed to take a bigger job and let someone else continue building it (Buzz).

Crean will get another job next spring. It will be a midwestern job, with a strong basketball history and the opportunity to compete for conference championships and deep tournament runs.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby EMT » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:02 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Crean was at our 100 year Hoopla last Friday - the first time he has set foot on campus since leaving for IU nearly 10 years ago. He had a lot of positive things to say about our program and Wojo, but the biggest thing was a little story he was told by Izzo on how a place like Marquette is unlike any other, and that Crean, without saying so much, felt like he didn't really appreciate it as well as he could have when he was here. He could have been a lifer here, but it was in best interests for both to move on. He reached his ceiling with the Final Four and he needed to take a bigger job and let someone else continue building it (Buzz).

Crean will get another job next spring. It will be a midwestern job, with a strong basketball history and the opportunity to compete for conference championships and deep tournament runs.

What's the early buzz on what's available out there next year?
EMT

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 am

Obviously, a lot can change in the next year, but I would guess that Pittsburgh, Boston College, Nebraska, Georgia, Arkansas and Clemson could all be looking at new coaches next year. For some other programs, like Iowa, Oklahoma, Auburn, UConn and Memphis, those are programs that all have established coaches, but had really bad years last year - and if they continue this year - may lead to head coaching changes. For other programs like Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, and Duke, their coaches are nearing the end of the careers, and changes could be made in the next couple of years.

IMO, Crean would be perfect at Pittsburgh. He used to coach there, is still a big name, and Stallings wasn't exactly well received when he was hired there. The program definitely lacks luster when Dixon was there just a few years ago. He would immediately re-energize the fan base and get people invested in the program again.

FWIW, I also thought Crean would be perfect at DePaul. However, with Leitao's hiring Heirman, my guess is that is has one more guaranteed year before his seat gets warm. If Heirman can get top recruits to DePaul, and they can just do decent in big games at WinTrust this year, Leitao would appear to be safe.

And - in for the unlikely but still possible crowd - if Wojo were to leave for a bigger job after the year, which I think is just a matter of time since he has no real ties to Milwaukee, I wouldn't mind getting Crean back again. It would be his last job coaching, so he would stay for awhile, he loves Milwaukee, knows the program and had success while here. Heck, Wade's kid will be in college in just a couple of years, and that would definitely be one big cathartic moment for all involved.
GoldenWarrior11

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board