Crawfish - Tom Crean Thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Crawfish - Tom Crean Thread

Postby handdownmandown » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:51 am

Reading that makes me think Crean would have taken the CU job had Mac left for Columbus.
handdownmandown

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sciencejay » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:43 pm

handdownmandown wrote:Reading that makes me think Crean would have taken the CU job had Mac left for Columbus.

Ras is a real relationship guy. I don't know if he knows Crean or not, but just because Crean is a big name and is available doesn't mean that Ras would have offered him the job.
sciencejay

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:02 pm

I don't think Crean would have been a fit at Creighton. I thought Crean was a perfect fit at Dayton, but from what I've heard within the Dayton athletic department, they weren't even interested in him to send out feelers to him one Archie left. The conflict with Crean right now was that the Indiana was his dream job, or at least that's what he sold and promoted for years. It's tough to find a job out there there compares with Indiana, let alone exceeds it, and any attempt to spin it as anything else other than as a downgrade (for him and the program he will eventually take over) would be viewed negatively (or at minimum, a step down).

It's very early, but I would wager that Pittsburgh would be the early odds-on favorite for his services next year. Stallings was not the hire many wanted, and he did not get the results that Dixon had for so many years.

The other telling aspect is that both Georgetown and Butler, two top Big East programs, did not reach out to Crean when they had openings this year. That should speak volumes as to where two very competitive, high-quality programs viewed him during this go-around. They both hired alums that had ties to the university.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Irishdawg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:18 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I don't think Crean would have been a fit at Creighton. I thought Crean was a perfect fit at Dayton, but from what I've heard within the Dayton athletic department, they weren't even interested in him to send out feelers to him one Archie left. The conflict with Crean right now was that the Indiana was his dream job, or at least that's what he sold and promoted for years. It's tough to find a job out there there compares with Indiana, let alone exceeds it, and any attempt to spin it as anything else other than as a downgrade (for him and the program he will eventually take over) would be viewed negatively (or at minimum, a step down).

It's very early, but I would wager that Pittsburgh would be the early odds-on favorite for his services next year. Stallings was not the hire many wanted, and he did not get the results that Dixon had for so many years.

The other telling aspect is that both Georgetown and Butler, two top Big East programs, did not reach out to Crean when they had openings this year. That should speak volumes as to where two very competitive, high-quality programs viewed him during this go-around. They both hired alums that had ties to the university.

I do think that Pitt would be a decent fit for Crean and will likely be in the market for a coach sooner rather than later. However, if you thought Crean wouldn't have been a fit at Creighton, it would have been even worse at Butler. Our fans, along with everyone else who loves to hate on IU, made fun of him relentlessly. The blow-by handshakes after losses, the creepy kiss on the lips of his son, him coming after then Michigan now Butler assistant Jeff Meyer after a game (he accused Meyer of ruining IU since he was on Kelvin Sampson's staff even though Meyer was never implicated in Sampson's recruiting violations), etc. Plus Butler has always hired either within their own coaching staff or the family tree since Collier took over more than 20 years ago.

Personally I think Crean needs to get out of the central part of the Big Ten footprint if he wants another coaching gig. Unless Harbaugh demands he gets hired at Michigan when Beilein leaves, I can't see many programs in the Michigan/Indiana/Ohio/Illinois who are going to desire his services.
Irishdawg

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:01 am

Jim Boeheim calls former Indiana coach Tom Crean 'idiot' for criticism of Tyler Lydon – CBS Sports – July 1, 2017
Serving as an analyst on NBA Draft night, former Indiana coach Tom Crean was particularly critical of Syracuse's Tyler Lydon and how his skillset would translate to the NBA. Now, a little over a week since the event, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim has fired back candidly at Crean -- and he didn't mince words in his response.

"He's an idiot," Boeheim said, via Syracuse.com. "He said he's not a good shooter. Freshman, sophomore year he shoots 40 percent from 3. That's pretty good for a young player. I think he had the best shooting statistics at the combine, I think, of all the big guys. He shoots it. That's what he does. It just shows the ignorance and not doing the work, the research, the background check. He's athletic and can do a lot of other things but he can really shoot."
Fieldhouse Flyer

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board