Are Butler & Xavier rivals? Just who qualify as rivals?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby CrawfishBucket » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Since the creation of the conference, has FS1 marketed any of the games as 'rivalry' games? Is that an area that needs to be cultivated more?

In a far flung conference this is an area that is difficult. I miss the Syracuse's of old and I wish we had some of that history with the Western teams. But I look forward to creating it.

Can someone list all our rivalries?

Someone put a lot of work into the Wikipedia pages of the original Big East conference and the new conference.

Original Big East: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_ ... %80%932013)

New Big East: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_Conference
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Are Butler & Xavier rivals? Just who qualify as rivals?

Postby milksteak » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Butler's biggest "rivals" are Xavier and IU, but both schools have bigger rivalries with UC and Purdue, respectively.

So, in my opinion, yes or no, depending on your point of view/qualifications.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby EMT » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:35 pm

I was hoping this shitpost didn't get any replies.
EMT

Postby JohnW22 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:36 pm

I don't considered Butler a rival mainly because I cheer for them outside of when they're playing Xavier. Don't have any problem with their fans/players/coaches so no reason to see them as a rival but that's just me.
XU
JohnW22

Postby xufan02 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:20 pm

JohnW22 wrote:I don't considered Butler a rival mainly because I cheer for them outside of when they're playing Xavier. Don't have any problem with their fans/players/coaches so no reason to see them as a rival but that's just me.

I agree with this statement. However, I hate UC and their yellow toothed garden gnome of a coach.
xufan02

Postby HoosierPal » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:54 pm

For true rivalries you need proximity of schools, a passionate fan base, and a 'hatred' for the other school. Unless you are a national brand like Notre Dame, it is impossible to have a heated rivalry with a school 1000 miles away. You need the opposing fans in your stadium. You need the rival's students coming down to your campus and making their presence noticed. Butler has Xavier very close, but there is not much passion against each other. DePaul is close, but no one up there cares and vice versa. I agree that IU is Butler's biggest rival, but it is not a shared feeling.

Classic rivalries in the midwest include IU - Purdue, Michigan - Ohio State, and Kentucky-Louisville.
HoosierPal

Postby BEXU » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:26 pm

BU/X is a good rivalry, but as stated here ad nauseam, UC is the most hated. Probably 95% of X fans love it when BE BU spanks UC.
BEXU

Postby DemonLS » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 am

DePaul and Marquette used to be great rivals. Unfortunately, DePaul has not held up their end for the last 20 years and I believe that MU and fans do not think that any more. Its only a 90-minute drive between the schools.
DemonLS

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:57 am

Xavier fans - The war is over. It ended on March 20, 2013, and Xavier won.

However, that does not change the fact that the histories and athletic histories of the two universities are permanently and inextricably linked.

To no one’s surprise, Xavier is thriving in the Big East, and is to be congratulated on becoming a member of that very prestigious conference and for the Musketeers' very considerable success in basketball.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Return to Big East basketball message board