What Program Would a BE Coach Leave For?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: What Program Would a BE Coach Leave For?

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:43 pm

RedStorm wrote:
herodotus wrote:
Wojo, and Willard would leave for UK, and Florida in a NY second. Other than that, you're probably right. Even the top A10 coaches are no longer quick to jump at a mid level P5 job, (or mid level BE job for that matter) Shaka turned down many P5 offers before jumping to Texas. Miller waited until Indiana came calling. Sean Miller left a then A10 X program for Arizona. Dan Hurley didn't jump for some crappy P5 program. The days when a Pete Gillen would leave even an MCC Xavier program for PC, are long in the past. Willard, and Wojo are the two coaches who are not long for the BE. For any of the others, it would take either an offer from a UK, KU UNC type program, or the right NBA offer. The NBA can take a coach from nearly anywhere, as we've seen in the past. Even Mullin, and Ewing would find it hard to turn down the Knicks, provided the deal, and the timing was right.

Yeah, I should have said "no SEC school except for UK". I could also see a guy like Willard, who has been on the hot seat in the recent past maybe bolt if he doesn't think the recruiting at SH is looking great.

As for the aforementioned former A10 coaches who were picky in their p5 destinations, they were all elite guys. Not just the usual good coach with prospects.
As for Dan Hurley, he has had a roving eye every offseason. If St. Johns had not hired Mullin he would have jumped at that opportunity without hesitation. I really don't think he is the same caliber coach as some of the other former A10 guys mentioned and he would take many of the gigs they turned down. I think a Tim Jankovick is a much better coach than Hurley and I don't think it would take an elite p6 job for him to leave. I think almost every coach currently in the A10 and AAC would bolt for any B10 or ACC job most SEC jobs.

I think the conferences seem to have their own practices and personality as it comes to hiring coaches.

The NBE is starting to 'circle the wagons' and hire from within. Time will tell is this strategy staves off the poachers. Personally, I think it will. I can't see the big boys going after our newer hires.

As for the AAC, they are in a comfortable area. The programs they would ordinarily be threatened by (the perennial power teams) usually look to hire the young up-n-comer coaches, like Holtmann. The AAC has a lot of name coaches that are beyond that point in their careers. They also compensate those coaches very well. Gregg Marshall makes over 3 million a year. Tubby Smith is way up there. I think Holtmann's reported salary would've put him on the low end of what AAC coaches are making as much as that pains me to say.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RedStorm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:05 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
RedStorm wrote:
herodotus wrote:
Wojo, and Willard would leave for UK, and Florida in a NY second. Other than that, you're probably right. Even the top A10 coaches are no longer quick to jump at a mid level P5 job, (or mid level BE job for that matter) Shaka turned down many P5 offers before jumping to Texas. Miller waited until Indiana came calling. Sean Miller left a then A10 X program for Arizona. Dan Hurley didn't jump for some crappy P5 program. The days when a Pete Gillen would leave even an MCC Xavier program for PC, are long in the past. Willard, and Wojo are the two coaches who are not long for the BE. For any of the others, it would take either an offer from a UK, KU UNC type program, or the right NBA offer. The NBA can take a coach from nearly anywhere, as we've seen in the past. Even Mullin, and Ewing would find it hard to turn down the Knicks, provided the deal, and the timing was right.

Yeah, I should have said "no SEC school except for UK". I could also see a guy like Willard, who has been on the hot seat in the recent past maybe bolt if he doesn't think the recruiting at SH is looking great.

As for the aforementioned former A10 coaches who were picky in their p5 destinations, they were all elite guys. Not just the usual good coach with prospects.
As for Dan Hurley, he has had a roving eye every offseason. If St. Johns had not hired Mullin he would have jumped at that opportunity without hesitation. I really don't think he is the same caliber coach as some of the other former A10 guys mentioned and he would take many of the gigs they turned down. I think a Tim Jankovick is a much better coach than Hurley and I don't think it would take an elite p6 job for him to leave. I think almost every coach currently in the A10 and AAC would bolt for any B10 or ACC job most SEC jobs.

I think the conferences seem to have their own practices and personality as it comes to hiring coaches.

The NBE is starting to 'circle the wagons' and hire from within. Time will tell is this strategy staves off the poachers. Personally, I think it will. I can't see the big boys going after our newer hires.

As for the AAC, they are in a comfortable area. The programs they would ordinarily be threatened by (the perennial power teams) usually look to hire the young up-n-comer coaches, like Holtmann. The AAC has a lot of name coaches that are beyond that point in their careers. They also compensate those coaches very well. Gregg Marshall makes over 3 million a year. Tubby Smith is way up there. I think Holtmann's reported salary would've put him on the low end of what AAC coaches are making as much as that pains me to say.

I agree about Tubby and Dunleavy. But Tim Jankovich will be in another league soon. Georgetown & Ohio St could have had him if they'd wanted. And Marshall is unlikely to finish his career in the AAC. I think hes gone in a few more years.

And if UConn doesn't have success this year, Ollie is toast........and so is their program.
RedStorm

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:19 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:

Hey Trollbucket...

Top 10 highest paid coaches (BE and AAC combined):

1. Marshall - AAC
2. Wright - BE
3. Cronin - AAC
4. Cooley - BE
5. Willard - BE
6. Mack - BE
7. Wojo - BE
8. McDermott - BE
9. Jankovich - AAC
10. Holtmann - BE

Nice try. So unless the AAC is a 5 team league, I'm thinking you're a tad off-base. But you keep plugging away sport-o!

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Burrito » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:29 pm

I looked up Tubby Smith's salary when Crawfishbucket mentioned him.

According to ESPN, his deal with Memphis is 5 years for $15.45 million. More than I would have guessed.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... his-tigers
Burrito

Postby stever20 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:34 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:

Hey Trollbucket...

Top 10 highest paid coaches (BE and AAC combined):

1. Marshall - AAC
2. Wright - BE
3. Cronin - AAC
4. Cooley - BE
5. Willard - BE
6. Mack - BE
7. Wojo - BE
8. McDermott - BE
9. Jankovich - AAC
10. Holtmann - BE

Nice try. So unless the AAC is a 5 team league, I'm thinking you're a tad off-base. But you keep plugging away sport-o!

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

The list you used was only the NCAA tourney coaches.

Kevin Ollie made 3.1 million- putting him #1 on the list
Marshall 2nd
Tubby Smith made 2.8 million. Puts him #3 on the list
Wright 4th
Cronin 5th
Cooley 6th
Willard 7th
Mack 8th
Kelvin Sampson made 1.4 million. more than Wojo. Good for 9th.
Wojo 10th
So top 4 AAC coaches all make more than all the Big East coaches, save for Jay Wright. And the AAC has 1,2,3,5, and 9 on this list.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 pm

stever20 wrote:
The list you used was only the NCAA tourney coaches.

Kevin Ollie made 3.1 million- putting him #1 on the list
Marshall 2nd
Tubby Smith made 2.8 million. Puts him #3 on the list
Wright 4th
Cronin 5th
Cooley 6th
Willard 7th
Mack 8th
Kelvin Sampson made 1.4 million. more than Wojo. Good for 9th.
Wojo 10th
So top 4 AAC coaches all make more than all the Big East coaches, save for Jay Wright. And the AAC has 1,2,3,5, and 9 on this list.

Good catch Stever. I stand corrected on the data I provided. It should be no surprise that the list did not have many AAC coaches since it was a listing of NCAA tournament coaches. So of the Top 10 coaches, 5 are from the AAC and 5 from the BE. OK. And the point?

A point of clarification... JT3 would have been 3rd on this list if it was a list of salaries from last year's coaches.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
A point of clarification... JT3 would have been 3rd on this list if it was a list of salaries from last year's coaches.

what a waste. As a Hoyas fan I am really happy that he's gone. Just thought the Hoya's always played so uninspired. No fire, no passion at all. I hope Ewing is the answer because College Basketball with Georgetown being good is a lot better just overall. My favorite moment in the first 4 years(well, ok 2nd favorite, 1st and this will never change- was the shot to win the title for 'Nova) was when Georgetown and Xavier played in the BET I guess 2 years ago now, and the game got really chippy. Real Old School Big East Basketball.

Oh and Gumby, I have an addendum to our list...
Chris Mullin from St John's- 2 million- which would put him right at either 6th or 7th with Cooley- and ahead of Willard, Mack, Sampson(who makes up the final top 10)- and then Wojo(who drops off).

For Big East would look like list is-
1 Wright
2/3 Cooley/Mullin
4 Willard
5 Mack
6 Wojo
7 McDermott

then other 3 are Ewing now, Jordan, and Leitao.

pretty bizarre list. I mean, Mack and McDermott at best 5 and 7? Those are 2 damn good coaches. X and Creighton need to step up to the plate and pay them what they deserve.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:17 am

stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

what a waste. As a Hoyas fan I am really happy that he's gone. Just thought the Hoya's always played so uninspired. No fire, no passion at all. I hope Ewing is the answer because College Basketball with Georgetown being good is a lot better just overall. My favorite moment in the first 4 years(well, ok 2nd favorite, 1st and this will never change- was the shot to win the title for 'Nova) was when Georgetown and Xavier played in the BET I guess 2 years ago now, and the game got really chippy. Real Old School Big East Basketball.

Oh and Gumby, I have an addendum to our list...
Chris Mullin from St John's- 2 million- which would put him right at either 6th or 7th with Cooley- and ahead of Willard, Mack, Sampson(who makes up the final top 10)- and then Wojo(who drops off).

For Big East would look like list is-
1 Wright
2/3 Cooley/Mullin
4 Willard
5 Mack
6 Wojo
7 McDermott

then other 3 are Ewing now, Jordan, and Leitao.

pretty bizarre list. I mean, Mack and McDermott at best 5 and 7? Those are 2 damn good coaches. X and Creighton need to step up to the plate and pay them what they deserve.

I agree about Mack and McDermott. What is curious about these two is that both X and CU have the highest revenue-producing home courts. They're both packing them in every night. Would hope both schools would recognize the critical importance of (good) coaching consistency.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:52 am

You would hope that the schools recognize that. You just hope the schools aren't thinking these 2 are going to be blindly loyal, and we can save some money on them. Because if that were their thought process, eventually there's going to be a job that overwhelms them.
stever20

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:33 am

stever20 wrote:You would hope that the schools recognize that. You just hope the schools aren't thinking these 2 are going to be blindly loyal, and we can save some money on them. Because if that were their thought process, eventually there's going to be a job that overwhelms them.

McDermott just turned down a 3x raise to stay at Creighton. Coaches come and go. They aren't irreplaceable.
ArmyVet

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board