What Program Would a BE Coach Leave For?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: What Program Would a BE Coach Leave For?

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:25 pm

stever20 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:The NCAA sports bubble is about to pop. Internet killing TV deals + the inevitable student's union means those salaries are likely as high as they are ever going to get.

Folks have been saying that for years- about all of TV sports.

There is something still about a lot of folks watching sports on their Television and not on a IPAD or whatever.

I wouldn't go into things right now saying that there's going to be an inevitable student's union. With the republicans in charge, and with a chance to pack the Supreme Court, I don't think I would say any thing pro union is inevitable.

Also, I would say look at it. Fox and ESPN combined pay what 430 million now for the Big Ten. That gets them 100 basketball and 50 football games. Compare that to the high costs for professional sports- with in a lot of cases fewer dates. I think pro sports will be in trouble far earlier than college sports are.

You are an idiot if you don't see the sports bubble in front of you. Did you not see ESPN layoff half their company? As for the union, I think its just a matter of time. The culture has shifted and its near the tipping point. Similar to gay marriage and legal marijuana, its just a matter of time now.

BTW, just this week the "College Athlete Player's Association" was created and will be creating legal contracts between a player and its school while abiding by the NCAA. https://sports.yahoo.com/player-associa ... 40458.html
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:45 pm

So 100 employees is half of ESPN? Come on now.

As far as the union is concerned, when the Supreme Court has 2-3 more openings, and it's packed by conservatives, you better believe unions as a whole are in trouble. Deep trouble. Because any college union case would go there, and I'm not seeing it going well for them.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:52 pm

1 other thing that's interesting. while the national average is only like 51% households having cable- some cities are WAY over that...

New York City for instance, the #1 market in the country, has a whopping 83.8% of households with cable. Only Boston has more of a cable penetration than NYC. Philly is #6 and DC is #10. So 4 of the top 10 in terms of cable penetration are in the DMA ranks 1,4,7,9. Tampa is in the top 10 in terms of cable penetration and they're #11 in the DMA's right now.

Until these cities start to drop their cable percentage, cable is going to be ok.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:38 pm

stever20 wrote:So 100 employees is half of ESPN? Come on now.

As far as the union is concerned, when the Supreme Court has 2-3 more openings, and it's packed by conservatives, you better believe unions as a whole are in trouble. Deep trouble. Because any college union case would go there, and I'm not seeing it going well for them.

Like I said, you are an idiot if you honestly don't see Sports Rights bubble. You would have to be the only person who doesn't think that the money is going to decrease (drastically in some cases.)

As for the Supreme Court, the republicans held a 5-4 majority when gay marriage was legalized nationwide. Its not strictly party lines, it has to do with culture and thoughts of belief in the nation.

You likely don't have any money to bet, but I would bet anything that players will be receiving serious compensation (6 figures at the highest) within 10 years.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby EMT » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Why did CBS sell part of their NCAA package to Turner back in the day?

http://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/looking- ... began.html
EMT

Postby stever20 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:14 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
stever20 wrote:So 100 employees is half of ESPN? Come on now.

Like I said, you are an idiot if you honestly don't see Sports Rights bubble. You would have to be the only person who doesn't think that the money is going to decrease (drastically in some cases.)

As for the Supreme Court, the republicans held a 5-4 majority when gay marriage was legalized nationwide. Its not strictly party lines, it has to do with culture and thoughts of belief in the nation.

You likely don't have any money to bet, but I would bet anything that players will be receiving serious compensation (6 figures at the highest) within 10 years.

And the swing vote was a republican(Kennedy) who will be retiring really soon and replaced by a guy like Scalia. A HUGE difference there.

As far as the money, I think you're going to find the pro sports getting the bigger cuts. Big Ten gets paid 430 million a year for 100 basketball and 50 football games. Compare that to the NBA who gets paid 2.67 billion a year. MLB who gets paid 700 million a year. That's the things that'll get cut first rather than the college contracts.
stever20

Postby beltwaybluejay » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Poll: Who retires first, Coach Wright or or Justice Kennedy?
beltwaybluejay

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board