Butler Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Butler coaching search

Postby Burrito » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Article about Butler becoming a destination job, not a stepping stone.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/20 ... 385868001/
Burrito

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Irishdawg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Burrito wrote:Article about Butler becoming a destination job, not a stepping stone.

Nonsense article IMO. Xavier has been able to maintain their coaching staff not only because of pay, but because their coach is incredibly loyal to the program and school. Holtmann was about to be paid a similar amount to what Mack has made and he still left because the loyalty isn't there.

If Butler hires Pedon or Shrewsberry, I think we'll be back in this same spot in a couple years if either of them are successful. Lavall Jordan isn't a guarantee, but there's a better chance of him sticking around IMO.
Irishdawg

Postby EMT » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Burrito wrote:Article about Butler becoming a destination job, not a stepping stone.

Gillen went to PC from X, not UVa......
EMT

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Irishdawg wrote:

Nonsense article IMO. Xavier has been able to maintain their coaching staff not only because of pay, but because their coach is incredibly loyal to the program and school. Holtmann was about to be paid a similar amount to what Mack has made and he still left because the loyalty isn't there.

If Butler hires Pedon or Shrewsberry, I think we'll be back in this same spot in a couple years if either of them are successful. Lavall Jordan isn't a guarantee, but there's a better chance of him sticking around IMO.

Yeah, I imagine we would have lost Mack by now if he wasn't an alumnus with most major family ties in Cincinnati and nearby Louisville between him and his wife. We're lucky because of that.

I semi-agree with the premise, though. Butler is at a tipping point where they need one more good hire and a coach that will be there for a few seasons. At that point, with the continued success it would engendered, they would establish themselves as a destination job, short of a few notable exceptions. Frankly, though, Ohio State and a few other wealthy, prominent state schools would probably still be among those exceptions.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby CrawfishBucket » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:03 pm

EMT wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:
This will be a fascinating hire. Of the 10 Charter members of this conference, half of the conference (5) will have hired new coaches since its founding.

Each of the 5 coaches that will be in the conference was either an assistant or from the NBA.

Marquette - Steve Wojciechowski 52–45
DePaul - Dave Leitao 18–45
St Johns - Chris Mullin 22–43
Georgetown Patrick Ewing
Butler - ???

Butler is following suit. Shrewsberry is from the NBA and Pedon is an assistant. If Butler hires Lavall Jordan (HC at Milwaukee this past year) that would buck the trend.

Nevertheless, if Collier picks Jordan he will be going with a different trend of picking former players.

Huh? Leitao is a former head coach and Collier is following Collier's suit. This post makes no sense.

I was referring to their previous post from which they were hired.

Leitao was an assistant at Tulsa when he was hired by DePaul.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby milksteak » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:36 pm

It's looking like it's gonna be LaVall Jordan.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby EMT » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:41 pm

milksteak wrote:It's looking like it's gonna be LaVall Jordan.

Is that your preferred choice?
EMT

Postby Irishdawg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:08 pm

EMT wrote:

I think all of the candidates had pluses and minuses. He was mine, but there's no guarantee it winds up being a great hire. Depends on who winds up on his staff if it is him.
Irishdawg

Postby milksteak » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:50 am

EMT wrote:

He's extremely personable and will kill it in recruiting. He'll do better than Holtmann, IMO. He's also very good at developing guards. He's basically responsible for Trey Burke's career.

I am a little bit worried about his ability to run a team. I'll be much less concerned if Terry Johnson stays. He's basically Butler's defensive coordinator.

Don't let his record fool you. UWM was an absolute dumpster fire when he took over. Arguably, the very worst job in all of college basketball last year. They did finish in dead last in their conference, but they got damn close to winning the Horizon League Tournament and qualifying for the NCAAs.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 am

milksteak wrote:He's extremely personable and will kill it in recruiting. He'll do better than Holtmann, IMO. He's also very good at developing guards. He's basically responsible for Trey Burke's career.

I am a little bit worried about his ability to run a team. I'll be much less concerned if Terry Johnson stays. He's basically Butler's defensive coordinator.

Don't let his record fool you. UWM was an absolute dumpster fire when he took over. Arguably, the very worst job in all of college basketball last year. They did finish in dead last in their conference, but they got damn close to winning the Horizon League Tournament and qualifying for the NCAAs.

As milksteak stated, his record doesn't show the job he did with the Panthers last year. In terms of kenpom ratings, they had the youngest (319th in experience) roster last season in their league, and were 348th in minutes continuity (guys coming back who had played in the previous season). The fact that they were rated 259th despite that is a positive, though it also makes it hard to evaluate how good he'll be at Butler, though they do have a young team this season.
Irishdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board