Butler Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Butler coaching search

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:21 pm

BEhomer wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:
BEhomer wrote:I think he would've come up with just as many reasons to stay if the money was equal. your argument only works if he left for equal or less pay. proof is in the pudding.

You don't make any sense. No, my argument does not only work under those circumstances. The fact that you think so makes it obvious that you still don't actually understand the argument, likely because you are too caught up in your viewpoint to comprehend a perspective different from yours.

He left for the money. your argument is that is not the only reason. of course that's not the only reason. you consider other factors. but other factors weren't convincing enough for him to leave. (reason why he turned it down the first time) when the money was right that's when he pulled the trigger.

From the post just above yours, apparently length of contract was the deciding factor.

By the way, you're now acknowledging that it's not all about money, which is what I was specifically disagreeing with in the first place.
Last edited by XUFan09 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:27 pm

milksteak wrote:
Additionally, there is talk he is going to take the ENTIRE coaching staff with him unless Butler hires one of them.

This is really turning into a ugly breakup. And it's a shame because he seemed like such a good guy. Hopefully, it's all FAKE NEWS.

It's actually really common for coaches to want the whole staff or multiple members of the staff if those assistants are interested and none of them get promoted to head coach at the old school. It's not something unusual with Holtmann. Also, if they don't hire from within, there's a good chance that the new guy will want his own assistants anyway. It sucks, but it's the reality of the business.
XUFan09

Postby BEhomer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:37 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
From the post just above yours, apparently length of contract was the deciding factor.

By the way, you're now acknowledging that it's not all about money, which is what I was specifically disagreeing with in the first place.

he left for more money. that's the fact. all other factors are just you speculating. and they pretty much cancel each other out. hence why I stated it was all about the money and bigger pay day.
BEhomer

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:43 pm

How many bullets in the "coaching tree" gun? Could the Butler Way be on its' way down?

I'll probably rank 'em 9th again, lol...let's see: 10 Hoyers, 9 Bulter, 8 DePaul, 7 StJohnnies, ...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:55 am

BEhomer wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:

he left for more money. that's the fact. all other factors are just you speculating. and they pretty much cancel each other out. hence why I stated it was all about the money and bigger pay day.

I don't doubt that money played a role, but he's turned down the money at other respectable programs. Butlerguy03 already linked it and quoted the Indy Star article, but I'll put the quote out there again.

"They were offering six years. He said no.

"Ohio State offered seven years.

"No.

"Ohio State offered eight years.

“'That created some pause,' Holtmann was telling me Thursday night."

So, you're saying that he left for money and that's a fact. Then why didn't he take other high-major jobs with big pay raises, some offering similar money to OSU? And why in this very article is the length of contract (and resulting job security) apparently a factor that tips the scales? Also, you again claim that other factors "pretty much cancel each other out," yet you accuse me of speculating. Saying they just cancel out is highly speculative and involves getting into the subjective perspective of Chris Holtmann. Meanwhile, I didn't get into that stuff myself, only pointing out the more obvious positive factors that any coach would consider. Cognitive dissonance must be strong with you...
Last edited by XUFan09 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XUFan09

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:48 am

Butler coaching search: Two in Bulldogs family interviewed, two more up next - David Woods, The Indianapolis Star - updated 1 hour ago
Two assistants already on Butler’s staff — Terry Johnson, 43, and Ryan Pedon, 39 — interviewed for the job Friday. Each of the Bulldogs’ past five coaches — Thad Matta, Todd Lickliter, Brad Stevens, Brandon Miller, and Chris Holtmann — was promoted from the staff.

Multiple sources say LaVall Jordan and Micah Shrewsberry are next in line to interview for the job. Jordan, 38, head coach at Milwaukee, and Shrewsberry, 40, an assistant for the Boston Celtics, are both former Butler assistants. Jordan is a former Bulldog player who was on teams coached by Butler athletic director Barry Collier.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:50 am

Hopefully, a hire is made in the next couple of days. Time is ticking.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby milksteak » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:43 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Hopefully, a hire is made in the next couple of days. Time is ticking.

Everything I've seen suggests there will be an announcement tomorrow.

It looks like it's down to...
1. Micah Shrewsberry: Celtics assistant, former Butler assistant
2. LaVall Jordan: UWM coach, former Butler assistant, former Butler player
3. Ryan Pedon: Current Butler assistant
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby CrawfishBucket » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:45 am

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Butler coaching search: Two in Bulldogs family interviewed, two more up next - David Woods, The Indianapolis Star - updated 1 hour ago
Two assistants already on Butler’s staff — Terry Johnson, 43, and Ryan Pedon, 39 — interviewed for the job Friday. Each of the Bulldogs’ past five coaches — Thad Matta, Todd Lickliter, Brad Stevens, Brandon Miller, and Chris Holtmann — was promoted from the staff.

Multiple sources say LaVall Jordan and Micah Shrewsberry are next in line to interview for the job. Jordan, 38, head coach at Milwaukee, and Shrewsberry, 40, an assistant for the Boston Celtics, are both former Butler assistants. Jordan is a former Bulldog player who was on teams coached by Butler athletic director Barry Collier.

This will be a fascinating hire. Of the 10 Charter members of this conference, half of the conference (5) will have hired new coaches since its founding.

Each of the 5 coaches that will be in the conference was either an assistant or from the NBA.

Marquette - Steve Wojciechowski 52–45
DePaul - Dave Leitao 18–45
St Johns - Chris Mullin 22–43
Georgetown Patrick Ewing
Butler - ???

Butler is following suit. Shrewsberry is from the NBA and Pedon is an assistant. If Butler hires Lavall Jordan (HC at Milwaukee this past year) that would buck the trend.

Nevertheless, if Collier picks Jordan he will be going with a different trend of picking former players.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby EMT » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:48 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Butler coaching search: Two in Bulldogs family interviewed, two more up next - David Woods, The Indianapolis Star - updated 1 hour ago

This will be a fascinating hire. Of the 10 Charter members of this conference, half of the conference (5) will have hired new coaches since its founding.

Each of the 5 coaches that will be in the conference was either an assistant or from the NBA.

Marquette - Steve Wojciechowski 52–45
DePaul - Dave Leitao 18–45
St Johns - Chris Mullin 22–43
Georgetown Patrick Ewing
Butler - ???

Butler is following suit. Shrewsberry is from the NBA and Pedon is an assistant. If Butler hires Lavall Jordan (HC at Milwaukee this past year) that would buck the trend.

Nevertheless, if Collier picks Jordan he will be going with a different trend of picking former players.

Huh? Leitao is a former head coach and Collier is following Collier's suit. This post makes no sense.
EMT

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board