Butler Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Butler coaching search

Postby Xudash » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:32 am

Letsgonova wrote:Why isn't Butler willing to pay market rate for a power conference coach? I know Jim Danko from his time at Villanova, he is a businessman who knows how the world works, not some jumped-up academic. So, what gives? I know Butler is a smaller school, but they own their venue, draw well, and get good money from TV and NCAA units. Xavier seems to be stepping up, Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and Marquette are already there (and maybe Creighton?). Butler is the outlier in terms of the success to compensation ratio.

This is really for the butler guys to answer, but one factor, and a big factor in all of this may be Hinkle Fieldhouse itself.

As much as it is one of the Grand old venues in college basketball, it also does not afford butler the opportunity to structure it along the lines of what modern facilities have become in terms of revenue generating machines. most of the stuff that was built into the Cintas Center, which is being reconfigured in it's $25 million renovation isn't available to Butler for Hinkle. They also actually reduced their seating as part of their recent renovation.

Hinkle is great for Butler and great for the Big East, but it simply isn't configured to be a money generating machine like other more modern venues.

That seems to be a reality, but how dramatically that affects Butler's ability to pay coaches again is a topic left for the Butler guys to address.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:44 am

Sad day for Butler, but every time they lose someone good another guy usually steps up. There will be huge expectations for him at OSU. It would have been hilarious to me if Ollie left UConn to go to OSU under the radar. Butler clearly has a formula that has worked very well, let's hope they bring someone worthy to take the helm.
MullinMayhem

Postby NJRedman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:52 am

If you continue to underpay these coaches they will continue to leave. Butler got lucky with Holtman. The last coach could have easily flamed out if he didn't freak out. You're not going to hit a home run with a guy already on staff. This ain't the Horizon anymore. Open up your check book and sign a qualified coach and give him enough to stick around.
NJRedman

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:55 am

NJRedman wrote:If you continue to underpay these coaches they will continue to leave. Butler got lucky with Holtman. The last coach could have easily flamed out if he didn't freak out. You're not going to hit a home run with a guy already on staff. This ain't the Horizon anymore. Open up your check book and sign a qualified coach and give him enough to stick around.

A LaVall Jordan hire would definitely fit with the conference trend of hiring former players.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby X-man » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:05 am

Wouldn't it be cool if Butler got Matta to come back. His time at Xavier sure convinced me that the guy can coach.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby Letsgonova » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:41 am

I don't think Matta wants to coach again, not unless his health improves. It was being used against him in negative recruiting. Some kid were told he was dying! And I think he was sick of the games. His quote at his presser about coming back as a track coach so he could just tell the parents that Johnny wasn't as fast as Timmy were instructive.
Last edited by Letsgonova on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Letsgonova

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:41 am

Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:Image

So difficult it took him almost a whole 2 days to leave after his cryptic tweet saying he was coming back? Okay. Butler's not blameless in this, but that is a load of BS. I sincerely hope Butler gets the opportunity to torch him in the PK80.
Irishdawg

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:42 am

Cant fault him for taking the money, he had no ties to Butler, timing is horrible though....
Jet915

Postby Flyer75 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:59 am

Letsgonova wrote:Why isn't Butler willing to pay market rate for a power conference coach? I know Jim Danko from his time at Villanova, he is a businessman who knows how the world works, not some jumped-up academic. So, what gives? I know Butler is a smaller school, but they own their venue, draw well, and get good money from TV and NCAA units. Xavier seems to be stepping up, Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and Marquette are already there (and maybe Creighton?). Butler is the outlier in terms of the success to compensation ratio.

Sometimes it's not even about the money though. Dayton, from the mouth of the AD, put a salary package on Archie's desk that would have made him a Top 10 paid coach in the nation. It wasn't enough to keep him at Dayton and lure him to IU.

Butler could have put 2.9 to matching OSU and he still might have left. It is what it is. There are 10-15 schools out there that can lure about anyone they want, especially for really young coaches like Holtmann and Miller.

Butler will be fine, they always turn these situations into positives and carry on with business as usual.
Flyer75

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board