Butler Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Butler Coaching Search

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

MUPanther wrote:Really sucks for UWM. I got the chance to meet LJ couple of times this past year. Great family he has. He will be missed.

Another former player takes over their alma mater. I like it. It adds to the character of the conference.

I don't see guys like Mullin, Ewing, or Jordan, moving on.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby milksteak » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:07 pm

MUPanther wrote:Really sucks for UWM. I got the chance to meet LJ couple of times this past year. Great family he has. He will be missed.

What was your impression after meeting him? I've never met him, but everyone says he is very personable and charming.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby MUPanther » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 pm

milksteak wrote:

What was your impression after meeting him? I've never met him, but everyone says he is very personable and charming.

Very religious guy from his tweets. Hot wife. Beautiful children. Nice guy. He gives my wife a hugs. One of his coaches on his staff is Todd Townsend. Todd started every game for Marquette's 2003 Final Four team. So, it was another goal of mine to get to know the staff. LJ does alot of pictures with fans and students, so he can work a room.

Jordan was left with nobody on the roster because we are stuck with a terrible AD at UWM in Amanda Braun. Many players transfered because of Braun. The firing of Rob Jeter didn't go over well, alongside many other things. Did you see the movie Major League? Amanda Braun is the owner of the Cleveland Indians in that movie.

As for the basketball side of things. LJ hates turnovers! Tough defense is his goal. Gives different looks. Yes, UWM lost 24 games. They were not blown out in too many games. It was amazing what he did with 10 players with no division one college experience, other than one guy. Cody Wichmann, who entered as a senior that averaged 4 points per game. UWM's two tallest players were both 6'7. UWM found themselves getting better and it came together in the HL Tournament. Lost a heartbreaker in the title game. Strong recruiting class is coming in. Who knows now.

I'm happy for Butler. The Butler Way, will still be winning ways.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby milksteak » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:02 pm

MUPanther wrote:
milksteak wrote:

Very religious guy from his tweets. Hot wife. Beautiful children. Nice guy. He gives my wife a hugs. One of his coaches on his staff is Todd Townsend. Todd started every game for Marquette's 2003 Final Four team. So, it was another goal of mine to get to know the staff. LJ does alot of pictures with fans and students, so he can work a room.

Jordan was left with nobody on the roster because we are stuck with a terrible AD at UWM in Amanda Braun. Many players transfered because of Braun. The firing of Rob Jeter didn't go over well, alongside many other things. Did you see the movie Major League? Amanda Braun is the owner of the Cleveland Indians in that movie.

As for the basketball side of things. LJ hates turnovers! Tough defense is his goal. Gives different looks. Yes, UWM lost 24 games. They were not blown out in too many games. It was amazing what he did with 10 players with no division one college experience, other than one guy. Cody Wichmann, who entered as a senior that averaged 4 points per game. UWM's two tallest players were both 6'7. UWM found themselves getting better and it came together in the HL Tournament. Lost a heartbreaker in the title game. Strong recruiting class is coming in. Who knows now.

I'm happy for Butler. The Butler Way, will still be winning ways.

Most Butler fans are pretty aware he took on a very tough challenge and did well given the circumstances.

I had forgotten about Amanda Braun until the last couple of days. I remember reading about her months ago and thinking she was a psycho.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
milksteak

Postby alduflux » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:55 pm

MUPanther wrote:Hot wife.

I'm sold. Obviously the guy is a great recruiter.
alduflux

Re: Butler coaching search

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Since coming together, here are the 5 Big East jobs that have been filled.

Marquette - Steve Wojciechowski 52–45
DePaul - Dave Leitao 18–45
St Johns - Chris Mullin 22–43
Georgetown Patrick Ewing
Butler - LaVall Jordan

I think we'll be seeing some interesting matchups next year.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby billyjack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:12 am

The more i read about Lavall Jordan, the more i like him. Focused on defense. Improved his team with an undersized and undermanned roster. And like MUPanther said, looks like Milwaukee games were competitive with some close losses.

Two other bonus points go to Jordan for (1) being a Butler alum, and (2) being only 38 years old. Jordan could be here for a long long time.
Providence
billyjack

Postby milksteak » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:37 am

My only beef with with LaVall is that he missed the two biggest free throws in Butler history (at the time). And then this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgb1rh7iKgM

Florida went on to the Finals and lost to Michigan State. For those wondering, the Florida shooter was Mike Miller.
milksteak

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 am

Looking forward to seeing LaVall's staff.

I saw that Terry Johnson already changed his bio to OSU AC.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 am

billyjack wrote:
The more i read about Lavall Jordan, the more i like him. Focused on defense. Improved his team with an undersized and undermanned roster. And like MUPanther said, looks like Milwaukee games were competitive with some close losses.

Two other bonus points go to Jordan for (1) being a Butler alum, and (2) being only 38 years old. Jordan could be here for a long long time.

Good post - I agree. Official announcement:

@ButlerMBB Tabs LaVall Jordan as Head Coach – Butler Bulldogs – June 12, 2017 at 10:13 PM
LaVall Jordan, who helped Butler to conference championships and NCAA Tournament appearances as both a player and an assistant coach, returns to his alma mater as the 24th head coach in men's basketball program history. Butler Vice President and Director of Athletics Barry Collier made the announcement Monday, June 12.

"LaVall is a tremendous coach who exemplifies The Butler Way," said Collier, who as the team's head coach first recruited Jordan to Butler in 1997. "He has played a major role in successful programs that have competed at the highest levels. LaVall also has a deep appreciation for our university and this program, and will recruit and develop young men who will represent Butler well. We are thrilled to welcome LaVall, Destinee, and their three beautiful daughters back to Butler."

Jordan's coaching career began on the Butler sidelines (2003-07), working as an assistant coach for three seasons (2004-07) and as the coordinator of basketball operations for one season (2003-04).

Jordan helped guide the Bulldogs to a 29-7 record in 2006-07, sharing the Horizon League regular season title in 2007. Butler advanced to the Sweet 16 in the 2007 NCAA Tournament before a loss to eventual national champion, Florida.

Before embarking on his coaching career, Jordan was a starting guard at Butler (1998-2001), helping the Bulldogs win three conference tournament titles and two Midwestern Collegiate Conference regular-season championships. He participated in four consecutive postseason tournaments -- NCAA (1998, 2000, 2001) and NIT (1999) -- and helped record Butler's first NCAA tournament win in 39 years with a 79-63 win over Wake Forest in 2001.

Jordan was a two-time All-Midwestern Collegiate Conference performer and was the league's tournament MVP in 2001. He tallied 91 victories in four years, which (at the time) made him the winningest player in Butler history.

"This is a dream come true," said Jordan. "Butler is a place that means so much to me and my family, and I am honored and humbled to lead this storied program. I want to thank President Danko and Barry Collier for the faith they have placed in me to continue The Butler Way and our great success."

Read on for more...
Fieldhouse Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board