Butler Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Butler Coaching Search

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:24 am

It will be interesting to see if the Butler machine can keep steaming ahead after another coaching change. If recent history is any indication, they will. If not, we will need St. John's or Georgetown to rise to the occasion. Butler has been one of the reasons the new Big East is still perceived by most as a power conference for basketball.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Butler coaching search

Postby Bluejay » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:40 am

milksteak wrote:Additionally, there is talk he is going to take the ENTIRE coaching staff with him unless Butler hires one of them.

On the face, I get that this sounds horrible. The reality though is that this is the norm. It is unlikely that the new coach is going to want any of the Holtman's assistants and it is probably true that the assistants may not be entirely comfortable working under him anyway.
Bluejay

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:00 am

Assistant coaches are almost always loyal to the head coach and not to the program (unless of course they end up getting offered the head job if it becomes open). It's probably better anyways, because as a head coach, you want "your" guys, not someone you are stuck with and may undermine you if given opportunity.
GoldenWarrior11

Re: Butler coaching search

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:36 am

Bluejay wrote:
milksteak wrote:Additionally, there is talk he is going to take the ENTIRE coaching staff with him unless Butler hires one of them.

On the face, I get that this sounds horrible. The reality though is that this is the norm. It is unlikely that the new coach is going to want any of the Holtman's assistants and it is probably true that the assistants may not be entirely comfortable working under him anyway.

If Butler hired the same way that other programs did where they bring in someone from the outside who isn't familiar with the former staff, then I wouldn't think this was a big deal. For Schrage and Pedon, 2 guys that Holtmann brought in from the outside, no big deal. They wouldn't be at Butler if it wasn't for Holtmann so I completely get that they probably wouldn't stick around as great as they were for the program. It's far more of a big deal when you're talking about guys like Terry Johnson who LaVall Jordan coached with while he was at Butler or former Butler players turned assistants in Brandon Crone or Emerson Kampen who are very familiar with the program and system that Butler has in place. When you're in the Butler family, even if you didn't play or coach with guys, you still know who they are. For example, at Joel Cornette's celebration of life services, you had Barry Collier, Thad Matta, Todd Lickliter, Brad Stevens and Chris Holtmann along with South Alabama's coaches Matthew Graves and Darnell Archey, UWM's LaVall Jordan along with Butler Assistants Terry Johnson and Brandon Crone.

It also makes a difference on the timing of when Holtmann was making these demands and/or statements. Butler hadn't even begun their coaching search in earnest and he's dictating what's going to happen to the AD like he owns all his staff members instead of letting the process play out and just telling his guys "Hey, whether or not you get offered to stay at Butler, you've got a spot on my staff over here." I get that he wants to have his staff in place as soon as he can, but he went about it in an extremely inconsiderate fashion after he'd already put the team and coaches in a difficult spot by switching schools.

I get that for most schools it isn't a big deal, but when continuity plays such a big role in what Butler does and how they're successful, this is a move that rubs people who are familiar with that the wrong way.
Irishdawg

Postby EMT » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:17 am

Is there anything more humble than your best coach of all time in the 3rd row of that picture?
EMT

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:17 pm

It looks like LaVall Jordan is the guy.

I'm happy for the Butler fans. I don't think his record at Milwaukee is as good as he is a coach.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:33 pm

David Woods tweet
Was trending that way since last night, but can confirm: LaVall Jordan will indeed be Butler's new head basketball coach.

Jeff Goodman tweet
Butler has agreed to deal in principle with Milwaukee head coach LaVall Jordan, source told ESPN.

Brian Snow tweet
With LaVall Jordan all but official to Butler, Ryan Pedon (Columbus native) will join Chris Holtmann at Ohio State

Jon Rothstein‏ tweet
Terry Johnson & Ryan Pedon are expected to join Chris Holtmann's staff at OSU as long as BU finalizes deal with LaVall Jordan, per a source.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:David Woods tweet
Was trending that way since last night, but can confirm: LaVall Jordan will indeed be Butler's new head basketball coach.

Jeff Goodman tweet
Butler has agreed to deal in principle with Milwaukee head coach LaVall Jordan, source told ESPN.

Brian Snow tweet
With LaVall Jordan all but official to Butler, Ryan Pedon (Columbus native) will join Chris Holtmann at Ohio State

Jon Rothstein‏ tweet
Terry Johnson & Ryan Pedon are expected to join Chris Holtmann's staff at OSU as long as BU finalizes deal with LaVall Jordan, per a source.

OUUUCH... Losing both Pedon and TJ is going to make continuity difficult. Attrition usually results from entire staffs leaving.

That said, LaVall is the right man for the job.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby milksteak » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:48 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:David Woods tweet

Jeff Goodman tweet

Brian Snow tweet

Jon Rothstein‏ tweet

OUUUCH... Losing both Pedon and TJ is going to make continuity difficult. Attrition usually results from entire staffs leaving.

That said, LaVall is the right man for the job.

I'd so most of us are bummed about TJ. We don't give a rat's ass about Pedon. At least I don't.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby MUPanther » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Really sucks for UWM. I got the chance to meet LJ couple of times this past year. Great family he has. He will be missed.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board