Butler Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Butler Coaching Search

Postby admin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:12 am

I imagine Barry Collier will stay in the family with this hire - Micah Shrewsberry has been mentioned as a possibility. Let's see what happens.
admin
Site Admin

Butler Coaching Search

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Butler coaching search

Postby milksteak » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:32 am

Based on how Butler has handled these types of things in the past, LaVall Jordan, Terry Johnson, Micah Shrewsberry, Michael Lewis, and Mike Schrage will be the frontrunners. Probably in that order.

And FWIW, this is not at all what my list would look like. This is just how I think it will pan out.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby milksteak » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:34 am

@AdamZagoria: Sources: Butler's list for interviews will include Ryan Pedon, Micah Shrewsberry, Matt Graves and LaVall Jordan.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
milksteak

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:46 am

Butler's 2017 Recruiting Class - Scout.com (5 commitments listed)

Butler's 2017 Recruiting Class - 247 Sports.com (5 commitments listed)

Butler's 2017 Recruiting Class with 5-Year Butler Depth Chart - VerbalCommits.com (6 commitments listed including walk-on SG Connor Fulton)

Hopefully, Butler's new head coach will be able to keep the five new freshmen.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Letsgonova » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 am

Why isn't Butler willing to pay market rate for a power conference coach? I know Jim Danko from his time at Villanova, he is a businessman who knows how the world works, not some jumped-up academic. So, what gives? I know Butler is a smaller school, but they own their venue, draw well, and get good money from TV and NCAA units. Xavier seems to be stepping up, Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and Marquette are already there (and maybe Creighton?). Butler is the outlier in terms of the success to compensation ratio.
Letsgonova

Postby milksteak » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:59 am

Letsgonova wrote:Why isn't Butler willing to pay market rate for a power conference coach? I know Jim Danko from his time at Villanova, he is a businessman who knows how the world works, not some jumped-up academic. So, what gives? I know Butler is a smaller school, but they own their venue, draw well, and get good money from TV and NCAA units. Xavier seems to be stepping up, Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and Marquette are already there (and maybe Creighton?). Butler is the outlier in terms of the success to compensation ratio.

There are rumors that the $1 million figure is BS and that Holtmann's agent released it to save face. I'm thinking it's real though.
milksteak

Postby EMT » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:00 am

There's been turnover but the results have been solid. I'm ok with their approach. Holtmann wasn't a Butler guy, correct?
EMT

Postby milksteak » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:06 am

EMT wrote:There's been turnover but the results have been solid. I'm ok with their approach. Holtmann wasn't a Butler guy, correct?

Correct. He was completely unaffiliated with Butler before taking the assistant job. Was friends with Brad back in the day too. He had ties to Indiana (played at NAIA/DIII Taylor University), but that's about it.
milksteak

Postby EMT » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:14 am

milksteak wrote:
EMT wrote:There's been turnover but the results have been solid. I'm ok with their approach. Holtmann wasn't a Butler guy, correct?

Correct. He was completely unaffiliated with Butler before taking the assistant job. Was friends with Brad back in the day too. He had ties to Indiana (played at NAIA/DIII Taylor University), but that's about it.

Your roadmap has been successful. Trust the process. I'd grab Micah Shrewsberry now.... Learning from Brad, who might be the best coach in the world is more important than college HC experience IMO.
EMT

Postby jfan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 am

I know it's been posted before, but what are the current salaries at the 10 schools? I think Mac got a bump, so his might not be accurate. OSU sure wanted a BE coach.
and I'm sure with our success, this type of raiding (at least attempts) will continue.
CREIGHTON
jfan

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board