Butler Coaching Search

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Butler coaching search

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:45 pm

BEhomer wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:
BEhomer wrote:don't kid yourself. unless there's a report that says Butler matched the offer, this is all about the money.

He has job security with an 8-year deal (longer than most initial deals I've seen) and he gets to coach a program with more upside than Butler and, really, more upside than most D1 programs. It's not that money wasn't a factor, but don't kid yourself that it is all about money.

so let me ask you. if Butler offered him same money for same term, do you think he still bolts?

No, but your question to me indicates that you missed the point. I said, "it's not that money wasn't a factor." My disagreement with you was clearly over the claim that it was all about money; it's only in part about money. Ohio State as a job has multiple desirable traits besides money. If you pair that with a big pay raise, it makes the job overall very desirable in most instances. Really, if OSU hadn't started this process so far into the off-season, they probably wouldn't have this circus that we witnessed.
Last edited by XUFan09 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:59 pm

sciencejay wrote:
For all of the "It's only about the money" comments, that's just ridiculous. Of course the money matters, but Holtmann is by all accounts a very stand up guy--demonstrated by his poise, leadership and demeanor through all the tragedy that befell the Butler program during his tenure. He made a decision to move to a school where he will NEVER lack for resources to go recruit and train the best players in the country. There's no shame in that. Yes, he turned them down and then accepted after the offer was sweetened, but maybe as soon as he said no and OSU moved on to McD/others, he regretted saying no. Then when the opportunity came back, he jumped.

For another example, Sean Miller almost took the Arizona job with the first offer but ended up sticking with Xavier. When they came back offering more money, he ended up taking the job. Did the pay increase prove to be what tipped the scales? Yes, though maybe a second round of considering it helped too. Was it the only factor, though? No, that's just stupid. Even without considering the money, Arizona was a better job than Xavier was.

And now, Ohio State is a better job long-term than Butler is before you even consider money (and better than Xavier and Creighton too, while we're at it). However, the circumstances of switching jobs are more complicated than that, especially this late into the off-season, with subjective aspects too, which is why neither Mack nor McDermott took the job.
XUFan09

Postby BEhomer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:02 pm

I think he would've come up with just as many reasons to stay if the money was equal. your argument only works if he left for equal or less pay. proof is in the pudding.
BEhomer

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:03 am

BEhomer wrote:I think he would've come up with just as many reasons to stay if the money was equal. your argument only works if he left for equal or less pay. proof is in the pudding.

You don't make any sense. No, my argument does not only work under those circumstances. The fact that you think so makes it obvious that you still don't actually understand the argument, likely because you are too caught up in your viewpoint to comprehend a perspective different from yours.
XUFan09

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:12 am

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Butler's 2017 Recruiting Class - Scout.com (5 commitments listed)

Butler's 2017 Recruiting Class - 247 Sports.com (5 commitments listed)

Butler's 2017 Recruiting Class with 5-Year Butler Depth Chart - VerbalCommits.com (6 commitments listed including walk-on SG Connor Fulton)

Hopefully, Butler's new head coach will be able to keep the five new freshmen.

milksteak wrote:
Pedon (assistant coach) and Kyle Young (our top incoming recruit) are very, very likely gone.

Pedon is from Columbus, and Young probably would've gone to Ohio State if it weren't for all of the turmoil in the program.

After Holtmann's departure, Butler is trying to hold onto touted recruiting class - David Woods, The Indianapolis Star - June 10, 2017
INDIANAPOLIS – At least three of the five recruits in Butler’s basketball recruiting class appear to be sticking with the Bulldogs. Maybe they all will … but other classes have disintegrated after a coaching change. The status of the recruiting class - ranked 27th by ESPN and the highest-rated in Butler history - is unresolved.

“I think everybody’s on board still,” said Cooper Neese, one of the signees. Neese is close to the Bulldogs’ most prized recruit, forward Kyle Young of Massillon, Ohio. Young did not respond to an IndyStar request for comment. Neese said that he spoke to Young and that his classmate didn’t mention asking out of his commitment. Coincidentally, Young chose the Bulldogs over Ohio State. His primary recruiters were Holtmann and assistant coach Ryan Pedon.

The Bulldogs’ most recent signee is point guard Aaron Thompson of Glenn Dale, Md. His father, Tony, posted on Twitter that Butler was chosen for strong academics.

Jerald Gillens-Butler of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., said he enrolled in Butler’s upcoming summer session. “Yessir. Can’t wait,” Gillens-Butler said.

A source close to the fifth recruit, Christian David of Milton, Ontario, said David was not ready to comment.

Top scorer Kelan Martin, who was benched by Holtmann at midseason, said he had a “great relationship” with the coach. Martin said Holtmann told him he turned down Ohio State earlier in the week. The coach ultimately accepted an eight-year deal worth $3.1 million a year, according to a source. Holtmann was making about $1.2 million annually at Butler, which recently extended his contract through 2024-25.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby butlerguy03 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:13 am

Holtmann turned down OSU before the offer he couldn't refuse came along:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/06/09/doyel-holtmann-told-me-there-some-jobs-you-have-take-ohio-state-one/384065001/

"He didn’t want to leave. The search firm representing Ohio State came after Holtmann earlier this week, and he said no. So Ohio State went after Creighton’s Greg McDermott. When McDermott said no, Ohio State came back to Holtmann. They were offering six years. He said no.

Ohio State offered seven years.

No.

Ohio State offered eight years."
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby BEhomer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:32 am

XUFan09 wrote:
BEhomer wrote:I think he would've come up with just as many reasons to stay if the money was equal. your argument only works if he left for equal or less pay. proof is in the pudding.

You don't make any sense. No, my argument does not only work under those circumstances. The fact that you think so makes it obvious that you still don't actually understand the argument, likely because you are too caught up in your viewpoint to comprehend a perspective different from yours.

He left for the money. your argument is that is not the only reason. of course that's not the only reason. you consider other factors. but other factors weren't convincing enough for him to leave. (reason why he turned it down the first time) when the money was right that's when he pulled the trigger.
BEhomer

Postby xufan02 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:23 am

I feel for Butler, but they will be fine, just another bump in the road. Barry has done a good job, sans Miller, finding the next man up within the Butler family.

I'm hopeful that Butler can keep their roster and 2017 recruiting class intact. The next week will be interesting, need to get everything together before the July period.
xufan02

Postby milksteak » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:21 am

Everyone close to the program says Holtmann was making in the neighborhood of $2 million with his recent extension. The media just accepts that Holtmann was making $1 million because it fits their narrative that Butler is the little engine that could. Also, if Holt's agent leaked that fake salary (like it's believed) it gives the false impression that he is "doing it for his family" and that "the money is too good to turn down" and that it was a "tough, heartfelt decision" and all that other crap. In reality, he is just starting to look like a job chaser.

Additionally, there is talk he is going to take the ENTIRE coaching staff with him unless Butler hires one of them.

This is really turning into a ugly breakup. And it's a shame because he seemed like such a good guy. Hopefully, it's all FAKE NEWS.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby NJRedman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:22 am

I'll be the first selfish one to say that i'm glad that Butler will be in disarray this season. Better chances for us to finish a spot higher.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board