Coaches

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaches

Postby Xudash » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:46 am

It's now come to this Stever.

You have posters here visualizing you in a Bozo outfit, typing at your keyboard with goofy cloth gloves on.

You so much as type and submit something now, and all digital discourse hell comes down on your head.

You want to play as a fake? You want to play as a poser?

You want to do all that while being in the truly idiotic position of attempting to defend the AAC to fans of the Big East?

It's your life and your time spent. You lose.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:40 am

There seems to be a sweet spot when it comes to coaches being hired away or 'poached'. That sweet spot is in the early 40s-early 50s. Some exceptions are made for 'name brand' coaches but the big boys largely look to go young (like OU did by hiring Riley).
Looking at the roster of coaches, the conference has a lot of candidates that (like Holtmann) are in that sweet spot of desirability when it comes to candidate lists. The NBE has 1 coach in his 30s, 4 coaches in their 40s, and 4 coaches in that 50-55 range. Half of the NBE coaches are also alums, which certainly helps (though its worth mentioning that McDermott was poached already from his alma mater at Northern Iowa).

LaVall Jordan* - 38
Chris Mack* - 47
Jay Wright - 55
Ed Cooley - 47
Steve Wojciechowski - 40
Dave Leitao - 57
Chris Mullin* - 53
Patrick Ewing* - 54
Kevin Willard* - 42
Greg McDermott - 52

Looking at this list, by the time Ewing and Mullin have any sustained success, they will be out of that window of desirability. McDermott is likely not going to be offered another Ohio State level gig again, so I think Creighton fans can assume that the biggest storm has passed. That'll likely be his last job. Wright and Leitao will also retire in the NBE.
Depending on the level of their success, Mack, Cooley, and Wojciechowski, will likely be presented with opportunities for the next few years.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby billyjack » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:22 am

stever20 wrote:
milksteak wrote:I'll go ahead and finish off this thread for everyone. We'll start with Stever's post, which was nothing more than a suggestion that the Big East will lose Leitao, Mullin, Wright and Ewing to retirement within the next couple of year.

HLOH poster: "Yes, those four are old, but I think they've still got a while. And by the time they retire, a suitable replacement will be found."
Stever: "There's no telling that Villanova's success will continue when Wright retires. The Big East as a league relies heavily on Villanova to succeed as a league. The league could crash and burn when he retires. I'd hate to see it as a Big East fan, but it could totally happen. And the AAC inevitably will be better."
HLOH poster: "Villanova and Georgetown have rich basketball cultures, and they will be fine. St. John's is on the rise and DePaul has had some positive momentum. No reason for doom and gloom yet, especially since all of these guys are years away from retirement."
Stever: "All of those programs could very well be blindsided like Oklahoma was today. And they could very well be hosed when they retire. And when that happens, the AAC will be better."
HLOH poster: "Every program at some point faces this problem. People don't live forever. The very same problem could very well face SMU and UC before long."
Stever: "SMU and UC have great programs, and they are bigger than Jankovich and Cronin."

No, I'm saying that to count on guys that have been at their programs as long as Wright and even some of the others like Mack have to be there for 10-15 years- is just unrealistic.

And also, any coaching change has it's risks. I mean, look at St John's. They had a few bad coaches, and they're trended south for 15 years. There is no guarantee when hiring a new coach. NONE.

Lol... milksteak's post looks even more brilliant after your response here... omg hilarious.
Providence
billyjack

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board