Coaches

The home for Big East hoops

Coaches

Postby stever20 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Know we've talked about in the past how long folks can expect coaches to stick around.....

Just saw that Oklahoma's Bob Stoops retired suddenly at only 56 years old. That's why I don't think you can just look at guys like Jay Wright and say they're going to be there for 15 more years. I don't think we realize just how much of a meat grinder the profession is. Like someone said on the other thread, it looked like Matta aged 30 years at Ohio St.
stever20

Coaches

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Coaches

Postby milksteak » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:21 pm

I'll go ahead and finish off this thread for everyone. We'll start with Stever's post, which was nothing more than a suggestion that the Big East will lose Leitao, Mullin, Wright and Ewing to retirement within the next couple of year.

HLOH poster: "Yes, those four are old, but I think they've still got a while. And by the time they retire, a suitable replacement will be found."
Stever: "There's no telling that Villanova's success will continue when Wright retires. The Big East as a league relies heavily on Villanova to succeed as a league. The league could crash and burn when he retires. I'd hate to see it as a Big East fan, but it could totally happen. And the AAC inevitably will be better."
HLOH poster: "Villanova and Georgetown have rich basketball cultures, and they will be fine. St. John's is on the rise and DePaul has had some positive momentum. No reason for doom and gloom yet, especially since all of these guys are years away from retirement."
Stever: "All of those programs could very well be blindsided like Oklahoma was today. And they could very well be hosed when they retire. And when that happens, the AAC will be better."
HLOH poster: "Every program at some point faces this problem. People don't live forever. The very same problem could very well face SMU and UC before long."
Stever: "SMU and UC have great programs, and they are bigger than Jankovich and Cronin."
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby stever20 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:40 pm

milksteak wrote:I'll go ahead and finish off this thread for everyone. We'll start with Stever's post, which was nothing more than a suggestion that the Big East will lose Leitao, Mullin, Wright and Ewing to retirement within the next couple of year.

HLOH poster: "Yes, those four are old, but I think they've still got a while. And by the time they retire, a suitable replacement will be found."
Stever: "There's no telling that Villanova's success will continue when Wright retires. The Big East as a league relies heavily on Villanova to succeed as a league. The league could crash and burn when he retires. I'd hate to see it as a Big East fan, but it could totally happen. And the AAC inevitably will be better."
HLOH poster: "Villanova and Georgetown have rich basketball cultures, and they will be fine. St. John's is on the rise and DePaul has had some positive momentum. No reason for doom and gloom yet, especially since all of these guys are years away from retirement."
Stever: "All of those programs could very well be blindsided like Oklahoma was today. And they could very well be hosed when they retire. And when that happens, the AAC will be better."
HLOH poster: "Every program at some point faces this problem. People don't live forever. The very same problem could very well face SMU and UC before long."
Stever: "SMU and UC have great programs, and they are bigger than Jankovich and Cronin."

No, I'm saying that to count on guys that have been at their programs as long as Wright and even some of the others like Mack have to be there for 10-15 years- is just unrealistic.

And also, any coaching change has it's risks. I mean, look at St John's. They had a few bad coaches, and they're trended south for 15 years. There is no guarantee when hiring a new coach. NONE.
stever20

Postby X-man » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:56 pm

milksteak wrote:I'll go ahead and finish off this thread for everyone. We'll start with Stever's post, which was nothing more than a suggestion that the Big East will lose Leitao, Mullin, Wright and Ewing to retirement within the next couple of year.

Love it. And to it add the following from stever: "As you all know, I am a Nova grad. That's why I am convinced that Jay Wright won't last at Nova. Oh, and BTW, have I mentioned how stable the AAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCC coaching staffs are?"
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Coach K, Roy Williams, Pitino, Laranaga, Boeheim.

Thanks for playing...
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby EMT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Stever is closing in on 8,000 posts....

Anyone tech savvy enough to do a word cloud on his favorite words?

Any guesses what would be prominent?
EMT

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:50 pm

EMT wrote:Stever is closing in on 8,000 posts....

Anyone tech savvy enough to do a word cloud on his favorite words?

Any guesses what would be prominent?

"THE THING IS..."
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby BEXU » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Rumor is Chris Mack will take Stoops job. :D
BEXU

Postby kenedy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:53 pm

That was terribly bad news!!
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
kenedy

Postby pc5151 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:50 am

Anyone else picture Stever typing at his keyboard in a full clown outfit?
pc5151

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board