Article on what's wrong with UConn recruiting

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Article on what's wrong with UConn recruiting

Postby Red Rooster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:52 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:One school in the country can boast of 4 natty's in the last 20 years: UCONN.

The fact that fans are suggesting that a recruiting class ranked in the 40s as acceptable for their pedigree is all you need to know about the state of UCONN recruiting. But that's their reality...they used to be able to brag to recruits about some serious marquee matchups in conference every year, with Cincy being the lowest ranked of the "good games." Until Wichita, Cincy-UCONN is the marquee matchup of the AAC. The conference is better with the Shockers...but anyone but the most avid sports fan can't even tell you half the schools in the AAC.

As to the question about what to do with football? Drop it. I know it won't happen but football at UCONN is a money pit because most UCONN fans don't appear to care about football. 40,000 seat stadium that sold out 12 times in the last decade. The "competition" is selling out stadiums that are 50-150% larger than that and have the budget that reflects same. UCONN could probably be consistently competitive at FCS because that's what they are...an FCS football school trying to compete with teams that are out of their league.

I have a sneaky suspicion that their recruiting class wont be ranked in the 40s with that new assistant they got. They did lose some recruits with a staff shake up but its foolish to think those coaches at UConn wont be reeling in top talent in a normal year. Chillious is about as good as they get.

I also don't think they have to worry about marquee matchups. Let's be honest, only avid sports fans can tell you who is in every conference. There are a lot of banners in those gyms just like there are banners in our gyms (except for maybe Memphis, who had their taken away).

We had Slice aka one of the best in the business and he did absolutely nothing here.

What does one has to do with other, in regards to Slice and Chillious, Hooper?

Yeah, let's also judge Slice on one season. To add, a season where his hands were clearly tied.

Speaking of Chillious, he may pay off for UCONN, but I know most of his ties are in the DMV area. If he can clean up in that area, then the Huskies may be alright. Time will tell.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:09 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Well, with UConn looking at a large turnover entering this year, and no impact recruits, is it a stretch to question whether they are even a tournament team this upcoming season? They have no impact transfers or incoming freshmen, have lost Glen Miller and lost out on Makai Ashton-Langford (to Providence). Their schedule next year will include Syracuse, Oregon, Michigan State, Arizona and Auburn, including Wichita State (twice), Cincinnati (twice), Temple (twice), Tulsa (twice) and SMU. Those will all be tough games for them to win with, with such a new roster. Sure, you still have ECU (twice), Tulane (once) and USF (once), and a few more buy games, but, if the AAC, again doesn't get more than 4 teams in the tournament, it will be hard for UConn to be one of those teams.

If UConn misses again next year, would that be enough to confirm this trend, or simply just create a perception where it is a down period (probably culminating with a change with Ollie)?

part of UConn will be the return of guys like Alterique Griffin and Terry Larrier. Those 2 will be the equiv. of impact recruits or transfers, similar to what PC had with Dunn that one year.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:02 pm

stever20 wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Well, with UConn looking at a large turnover entering this year, and no impact recruits, is it a stretch to question whether they are even a tournament team this upcoming season? They have no impact transfers or incoming freshmen, have lost Glen Miller and lost out on Makai Ashton-Langford (to Providence). Their schedule next year will include Syracuse, Oregon, Michigan State, Arizona and Auburn, including Wichita State (twice), Cincinnati (twice), Temple (twice), Tulsa (twice) and SMU. Those will all be tough games for them to win with, with such a new roster. Sure, you still have ECU (twice), Tulane (once) and USF (once), and a few more buy games, but, if the AAC, again doesn't get more than 4 teams in the tournament, it will be hard for UConn to be one of those teams.

If UConn misses again next year, would that be enough to confirm this trend, or simply just create a perception where it is a down period (probably culminating with a change with Ollie)?

part of UConn will be the return of guys like Alterique Griffin and Terry Larrier. Those 2 will be the equiv. of impact recruits or transfers, similar to what PC had with Dunn that one year.

Gilbert made a limited impact in the few games he played last year. Larrier made an impact, but I believe he had more talent around him last year (when he did play). I don't know - I just don't see any difference makers on their roster this season. I think UConn finished 5/6 in the AAC, which probably is good for an NIT berth.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:36 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Gilbert made a limited impact in the few games he played last year. Larrier made an impact, but I believe he had more talent around him last year (when he did play). I don't know - I just don't see any difference makers on their roster this season. I think UConn finished 5/6 in the AAC, which probably is good for an NIT berth.

Just looking- Gilbert scored 31 points in 3 games. Tough to call a guy like that as making a limited impact. Larrier had 54 points in 4 games. Getting 2 double digit scorers back is just huge. As we've seen with PC a few years ago, and SMU last year- you don't need to go 8 or 9 deep. Their SOS is going to be outstanding with only 4 sub 200 games in conference play most likely- and a great OOC schedule. So they just get to 20 wins, and they're probably going to get in- no matter where they are in the standings in the AAC.
stever20

Postby EMT » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:49 am

part of UConn will be the return of guys like Alterique Griffin and Terry Larrier. Those 2 will be the equiv. of impact recruits or transfers, similar to what PC had with Dunn that one year.[/quote]

Gilbert made a limited impact in the few games he played last year. Larrier made an impact, but I believe he had more talent around him last year (when he did play). I don't know - I just don't see any difference makers on their roster this season. I think UConn finished 5/6 in the AAC, which probably is good for an NIT berth.[/quote]
Just looking- Gilbert scored 31 points in 3 games. Tough to call a guy like that as making a limited impact. Larrier had 54 points in 4 games. Getting 2 double digit scorers back is just huge. As we've seen with PC a few years ago, and SMU last year- you don't need to go 8 or 9 deep. Their SOS is going to be outstanding with only 4 sub 200 games in conference play most likely- and a great OOC schedule. So they just get to 20 wins, and they're probably going to get in- no matter where they are in the standings in the AAC.[/quote]

A great OOC with their current roster doesn't smell like 20 wins though.
EMT

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:41 pm

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

Looks as though they lost 2, maybe 3 players. Enoch, Jackson, Gibson, Larrier, Adams & others return, They have sufficient talent...The grind may not be as bad as you think.

But, who cares what happens to UConn-I don't.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:48 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Gilbert made a limited impact in the few games he played last year.

So now we're judging whether a kid is an impact player based on what he does in his first 3 games as a freshman? :o

Larrier made an impact, but I believe he had more talent around him last year (when he did play). I don't know - I just don't see any difference makers on their roster this season.

Please. Use the same standard as you would use if we were talking about Marquette or any other Big East team. Gilbert and Larrier were both Top 50 recruits. Any BE team bringing in 2 former Top 50 recruits would be positively giddy and would be hanging bunting from the rafters.
Bill Marsh

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:15 am

So now we're judging whether a kid is an impact player based on what he does in his first 3 games as a freshman? :o

Larrier made an impact, but I believe he had more talent around him last year (when he did play). I don't know - I just don't see any difference makers on their roster this season.

Please. Use the same standard as you would use if we were talking about Marquette or any other Big East team. Gilbert and Larrier were both Top 50 recruits. Any BE team bringing in 2 former Top 50 recruits would be positively giddy and would be hanging bunting from the rafters.[/quote]

Can you at least admit that UConn has been bad by their standards for the past 3 years? Also, having 2 top 50 recruits isn't a lot for them. I believe SJ had 5-6 under Lavin at one point.
MullinMayhem

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board