Matta Out At Ohio State

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Matta Out At Ohio State

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:41 am

I hope to see McDermott stay obviously for Creighton, but more for the Big East.

I hate seeing all of these Big East coaches being listed as candidates because it feeds the perception that the Big East is a feeder league for the "P5" conferences rather than a power conference equal and destination spot for coaching jobs. Literally half the head coaches in the Big East have had their name mentioned in some way or another as a potential candidate: Mack, Holtmann, and McDermott as serious candidates, as well as media speculation about Cooley and Willard. I realize that Ohio State isn't just any P5 job - it's considered one of the better ones - which is exactly why McDermott being the 3rd Big East coach to turn them down (I'm assuming Holtmann did as well as Mack) would make a strong statement that this is a destination league and our coaches are not ripe for picking.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:17 am

Hall2012 wrote:I hope to see McDermott stay obviously for Creighton, but more for the Big East.

I hate seeing all of these Big East coaches being listed as candidates because it feeds the perception that the Big East is a feeder league for the "P5" conferences rather than a power conference equal and destination spot for coaching jobs. Literally half the head coaches in the Big East have had their name mentioned in some way or another as a potential candidate: Mack, Holtmann, and McDermott as serious candidates, as well as media speculation about Cooley and Willard. I realize that Ohio State isn't just any P5 job - it's considered one of the better ones - which is exactly why McDermott being the 3rd Big East coach to turn them down (I'm assuming Holtmann did as well as Mack) would make a strong statement that this is a destination league and our coaches are not ripe for picking.

I actually look at this differently... OSU's list of ideal candidates included people like Sean Miller and Fred Hoiberg as well as the Big East coaches. Miller is a P5 coach, Hoiberg an NBA coach. So it's not like OSU was just looking for a coach from a small school that is on the rise (ie- prototypical mid major to FB P5 move). This is validation that our league has some of the best coaching talent either in or reaching their prime. Will we lose some guys over time? Most certainly. But it also validates that all of the programs that these coaches lead are on the right track so much that everyone is taking notice.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:33 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:I hope to see McDermott stay obviously for Creighton, but more for the Big East.

I actually look at this differently... OSU's list of ideal candidates included people like Sean Miller and Fred Hoiberg as well as the Big East coaches. Miller is a P5 coach, Hoiberg an NBA coach. So it's not like OSU was just looking for a coach from a small school that is on the rise (ie- prototypical mid major to FB P5 move). This is validation that our league has some of the best coaching talent either in or reaching their prime. Will we lose some guys over time? Most certainly. But it also validates that all of the programs that these coaches lead are on the right track so much that everyone is taking notice.

I see that view and you make good points. The attention our coaches are getting is a good sign and it's inevitable that we'll lose coaches over time, I'm just concerned about losing coaches too frequently (and to be fair, we've only lost 1 since realignment if I remember correctly, so it hasn't been an issue so far). I think 3 Big East coaches turning down one of the better jobs in the B1G would make a great statement about where our league stands.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Edrick » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:57 am

Edrick

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:28 am

Really hope Creighton doesn't lose him to OSU, but as Gumby said, it's more of a compliment IMO. The fact that Hoiberg and Miller were mentioned proves that they don't assume the Big East is a step below to poach. Arizona is a blue blood program and Hoiberg is in the NBA as he said. Still, it would be sad for Jays fans if he goes. I know many fans mock hires like Ewing and Mullin, constantly saying that being a great player does not equal good coach, but one of the benefits of those types of hires is that they are totally committed to their alma maters. Maybe eventually down the line they look to get back as head coaches in the NBA, but you know that wouldn't happen unless the programs were back to being nationally relevant and successful again. It goes deeper than just money. It's where they played ball and made a name for themselves. Other coaches without deep roots are easier to convince to leave.
MullinMayhem

Postby milksteak » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:50 am

Edrick wrote:http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/06/08/creightons-greg-mcdermott-offered-ohio-state-job/

For those too lazy to read, Holtmann withdrew his name from consideration Tuesday night.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby admin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:15 am

McDermott declines Ohio State offer and is staying at Creighton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin

Postby NJRedman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:22 am

admin wrote:McDermott declines Ohio State offer and is staying at Creighton.

I'm very happy he's staying and I love the #RollJays hashtag. Think he gets the double meaning there? hahahahaha
NJRedman

Postby FriarJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:26 am

This is a big deal for the BE and recruiting don't think it's not. When half the conference's coaches are on the list for a job as good as OSU and they are all staying put, that speaks volumes about what the NBE has become. Just great news all around, It means a lot that the coaches are thought of this highly and that they love what's happening at their schools and in the conference.

Once again a big shout out to Nova and Jay Wright and his players for showing the possibilities each school has.
FriarJ

Postby anXUfan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:32 am

Congrats Bluejays! Great news.
anXUfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board