Re: Motta out at Ohio St

Postby HoosierPal » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:13 pm

HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Wait, Matta is only 49? God he looks like shit!

To me he always looked like Gargamel from the Smurfs.
ImageImage
NJRedman

Postby xusandy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:33 pm

OSU, like Indiana, is one of those programs whose fans think should be one of the very best in the game EVERY year. And not just in the men's bb game, but pretty much across the athletic board!

In an effort to placate those relentlessly unforgiving fans, ADs will get rid of very competent coaches just because they endure a spell of being merely pretty good. Hence bye bye to Thad Matta. Matta will eventually land a job at some other school that has the same mentality about winning, where he'll make a ton of money and either start cheating or eventually get fired again -- or maybe start cheating and still get fired! To date, he's till on my list of stand-up coaches.

I'd like to think that Mack and Holtmann are both waaay too smart to get sucked down that drain. Time will tell.
xusandy

Postby jaxalum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:16 pm

There are a handful of jobs that Mack would take(this is well known).... IU, Louisville, and Ohio State.....and of course if Duke or UNC or another blue blood called. This is BIG trouble for Xavier nation, and the WORST year possible if it were to happen with this recruting class coming in. We'd be f#cked for 3-5 years. IMO he's the front runner.

I will say this. He's in an intersting conundrum with the best (on paper/with Trev back) Xavier team in history on paper, Final Four talented, and the best incoming recruiting class in history.

I REALLY envy Nova and Gonzaga, as they are immune to this horribly torturous off season process with their coaches being on no candidate lists because the answer is NO before the question is even asked. I'm not even sure Duke or UNC could pry Wright or Few. Hopefully Mack can see that X can compete eventually like Nova(Wright has no reason to leave), and he has us trending up.

This is a huge decision.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby Xudash » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:26 pm

jaxalum wrote:There are a handful of jobs that Mack would take(this is well known).... IU, Louisville, and Ohio State.....and of course if Duke or UNC or another blue blood called. This is BIG trouble for Xavier nation, and the WORST year possible if it were to happen with this recruting class coming in. We'd be f#cked for 3-5 years. IMO he's the front runner.

I will say this. He's in an intersting conundrum with the best (on paper/with Trev back) Xavier team in history on paper, Final Four talented, and the best incoming recruiting class in history.

I REALLY envy Nova and Gonzaga, as they are immune to this horribly torturous off season process with their coaches being on no candidate lists because the answer is NO before the question is even asked. I'm not even sure Duke or UNC could pry Wright or Few. Hopefully Mack can see that X can compete eventually like Nova(Wright has no reason to leave), and he has us trending up.

This is a huge decision.

IMHO, we're safe. He isn't going up I-71 for that job. Especially given the mess that presently exists in Columbus.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:36 am

Xudash wrote:
IMHO, we're safe. He isn't going up I-71 for that job. Especially given the mess that presently exists in Columbus.

The Flyer Faithful convinced themselves that Archie Miller would stay put at Dayton until the Ohio State job became available. Especially given the mess that exists in Bloomington.

Who is highest paid employee at Ohio State? – Dayton Daily News - February 19, 2016
Ohio State University paid men’s basketball head coach Thad Matta $5.8 million last year …

Billy Donovan (crazy), Chris Mack (not so crazy) and Ohio State's potential replacements for Thad Matta – Cleveland.com - June 5, 2017
Chris Mack, Xavier

Let's stick with the Xavier connection for a minute at talk about Mack. Of all the names you'll see here and elsewhere, he probably makes the most sense. He was born in Cleveland and grew up near Cincinnati. He's coached at Xavier with great success since 2009, and could recruit Ohio and the Midwest. He never coached with Matta, but did coach under Miller at Xavier before succeeding Miller when he went to Arizona. Mack made $1.4 million last year, according to USA Today, and Ohio State could double that without paying anything more than it paid Matta.

Likelihood of it happening: As likely as you'll find here. He'd be my pick if I were making the decision based on attainability and track record. Indiana flirted with him before picking Archie Miller, so Mack may be ready to move on from his alma mater.

In any event, I hope that Chris Mack remains at Xavier, but I have no idea of what he will decide.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby JohnW22 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 am

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Xudash wrote:

The Flyer Faithful convinced themselves that Archie Miller would stay put at Dayton until the Ohio State job became available. Especially given the mess that exists in Bloomington.

Who is highest paid employee at Ohio State? – Dayton Daily News - February 19, 2016
Ohio State University paid men’s basketball head coach Thad Matta $5.8 million last year …

Billy Donovan (crazy), Chris Mack (not so crazy) and Ohio State's potential replacements for Thad Matta – Cleveland.com - June 5, 2017
Chris Mack, Xavier

Let's stick with the Xavier connection for a minute at talk about Mack. Of all the names you'll see here and elsewhere, he probably makes the most sense. He was born in Cleveland and grew up near Cincinnati. He's coached at Xavier with great success since 2009, and could recruit Ohio and the Midwest. He never coached with Matta, but did coach under Miller at Xavier before succeeding Miller when he went to Arizona. Mack made $1.4 million last year, according to USA Today, and Ohio State could double that without paying anything more than it paid Matta.

Likelihood of it happening: As likely as you'll find here. He'd be my pick if I were making the decision based on attainability and track record. Indiana flirted with him before picking Archie Miller, so Mack may be ready to move on from his alma mater.

In any event, I hope that Chris Mack remains at Xavier, but I have no idea of what he will decide.

This was a good year for Archie to get out being a rebuild year for Dayton. This is Macks best roster on paper coming into the season and could get him to that final 4 to make him look more appealing to a Louisville/Kentucky like team in the future.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 am

Adam Zagoria threw Kevin Willard's name into the mix as well. I don't see that one happening though. SHU may be at risk of losing him next year if they have a big season, but I don't see him being that in demand yet.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby RedStorm » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:42 am

Just cant see Chris Mack going for that job. Its not an elite job. He could stay at X for a few more years, see more elite-8s and be a prime candidate for Duke, UNC, Kentucky. Or he could stay at X and become what Jay Wright has a Nova. He seems well on his way to the latter in fact. The Ohio St job would be almost a lateral move at this point.
RedStorm

Postby BEXU » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:56 am

Goodman changing his prediction from Mack to Holtmann. Maybe he had a chat with his good buddy Mack.
BEXU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board